Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

He lost 4kg in a few days when he got Bali belly a couple of weeks ago which basically accelerated his weight loss.
Whether or not he puts it straight back on or uses this event to run with it now is the query
That would be water weight rather than muscle mass though. It takes much, much longer for muscle to atrophy (especially 4kg of it).

Yes agreed water over muscle, he also wouldn't have eaten much for the week so unless he overcompensates by eating more to make up for it, he may have lost a kg from it.
But I don't know much about this stuff just a layman here

In regards to the contract. If he continues to improve on last year and establish himself as an AFL player and not potential he will deserve a pay rise and 3-4 year contract.

Hawthorn will be planning on him demanding a higher pay and other clubs making offers.

Just need to back ourselves to not lowball him but also to not pay too much to keep him.

I suspect that he will demand a good contract and we will provide one.

We just gave him number 5 so I assume that means we rate him highly. A pay rise will have to follow.
I've got vague recollections that the Crimmins family chooses (or at least has a big say in) who wears #5. Is that correct? So it might mean the Crimmins family likes the look of him and not so much how highly the club rates him. And I'm also thinking of #23 as an example of not reading too much into numbers. (I personally hope that the players that wear any number succeed and become stars in the Brown and gold.)

I've got vague recollections that the Crimmins family chooses (or at least has a big say in) who wears #5. Is that correct? So it might mean the Crimmins family likes the look of him and not so much how highly the club rates him. And I'm also thinking of #23 as an example of not reading too much into numbers. (I personally hope that the players that wear any number succeed and become stars in the Brown and gold.)

Yes. The Crimmins family tell the club who they’d like in the number.

Oh boy.:flushed:
No question were going early with this.
I mean, I like the kid plenty, but....
Well, plenty of carrot I guess to make a career and there's nowhere to hide on the field in that number - so all the best to Worps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh boy.:flushed:
No question were going early with this.
I mean, I like the kid plenty, but....
Well, plenty of carrot I guess to make a career and there's nowhere to hide on the field in that number - so all the best to Worps.

Burton was given the No. 5 heading into his 2nd season.
The same phase of Worpel's career.

Burton was given the No. 5 heading into his 2nd season.
The same phase of Worpel's career.

Yup.
We went early with Burto too, though he showed potential in a game changing position of the field and style of play that was romantic in its notion. A little bit of "maybe he's Knights-lite?", and he'd had huge wraps coming up as a junior before knee injury.
Worps is/was well regarded but not considered an obvious all world elite star as junior.
He showed some glimpses last year that he could exceed those prognostications of just being reliably very good. Really exciting glimpses.
Big call after year 1, and at Hawthorn we've shown an ability to get more right than wrong so my nuts will be tight with anticipation for what they've seen and what he will show us going forward.

Yup.
We went early with Burto too, though he showed potential in a game changing position of the field and style of play that was romantic in its notion. A little bit of "maybe he's Knights-lite?", and he'd had huge wraps coming up as a junior before knee injury.
Worps is/was well regarded but not considered an obvious all world elite star as junior.
He showed some glimpses last year that he could exceed those prognostications of just being reliably very good. Really exciting glimpses.
Big call after year 1, and at Hawthorn we've shown an ability to get more right than wrong so my nuts will be tight with anticipation for what they've seen and what he will show us going forward.
Won't be surprised if he appears to have a "quiet year" in 2019. He'll be challenged by the coaches to play a more defensive, team-orientated role. If he does it well he'll poll well in the PCM despite appearing to have gone backwards to those on the outside just looking on the surface. Then eventually he'll be let loose to play his more natural game again, but he'll be a more well rounded player because of it.

Interesting. Last three HFC #5s before Worpel have what in common?

(Just to annoy one particular poster....:p)
All finished their careers at another club.

Was just watching some highlights of some of our players (yeah I’m very keen for the new season) and I noticed that Worps is quite effective handballing with both hands in traffic. He also has an extraordinary long range handball which I hadn’t noticed before.

I remember Sam Mitchell saying that being able to handball on both sides is one of the most important skills to have in footy. Sam was also a master of the long range handball.

As many have already pointed out, Sam could have an enourmous influence on Worpel’s career. I’m really hoping he continues to develop Worps’ quick, clean hands and teaches him how to regularly unleash long range handballs into space.

Sam was also a master at creating time and space, something that would really add to Worpel’s game as he doesn’t have elite speed.

If Worpel can combine those skills with his bull-like attack on the footy and the elite delivery inside 50 that he has shown us when he has time, he could become some player.

Here’s to wishful thinking anyway🤞🏻

Was just watching some highlights of some of our players (yeah I’m very keen for the new season) and I noticed that Worps is quite effective handballing with both hands in traffic. He also has an extraordinary long range handball which I hadn’t noticed before.

I remember Sam Mitchell saying that being able to handball on both sides is one of the most important skills to have in footy. Sam was also a master of the long range handball.

As many have already pointed out, Sam could have an enourmous influence on Worpel’s career. I’m really hoping he continues to develop Worps’ quick, clean hands and teaches him how to regularly unleash long range handballs into space.

Sam was also a master at creating time and space, something that would really add to Worpel’s game as he doesn’t have elite speed.

If Worpel can combine those skills with his bull-like attack on the footy and the elite delivery inside 50 that he has shown us when he has time, he could become some player.

Here’s to wishful thinking anyway🤞🏻
Handballing is one thing that has dropped off a lot for us in recent years. Gibson, Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell were great handballers, some of our players now are very poor (Sicily, Morrison, Howe, Brand)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back