Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Was just watching some highlights of some of our players (yeah I’m very keen for the new season) and I noticed that Worps is quite effective handballing with both hands in traffic. He also has an extraordinary long range handball which I hadn’t noticed before.

I remember Sam Mitchell saying that being able to handball on both sides is one of the most important skills to have in footy. Sam was also a master of the long range handball.

As many have already pointed out, Sam could have an enourmous influence on Worpel’s career. I’m really hoping he continues to develop Worps’ quick, clean hands and teaches him how to regularly unleash long range handballs into space.

Sam was also a master at creating time and space, something that would really add to Worpel’s game as he doesn’t have elite speed.

If Worpel can combine those skills with his bull-like attack on the footy and the elite delivery inside 50 that he has shown us when he has time, he could become some player.

Here’s to wishful thinking anyway🤞🏻

Will be very interested to see how he goes this. I remember in his draft year one of the big knocks on him was that he would get the ball and then just bomb it long forward. I did not see any of that in his AFL level play in 2018...

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will be very interested to see how he goes this. I remember in his draft year one of the big knocks on him was that he would get the ball and then just bomb it long forward. I did not see any of that in his AFL level play in 2018...

It will be really interesting. I too was very impressed with his disposal at AFL level. I did notice that when he was under pressure he sometimes bombed the ball long, but almost every player does the same thing. However his kicking when he had a bit of space was incredible, that’s why the ability to create time and space for himself would be so beneficial for both Worps and the team. Perhaps he could use his stiff-arm to create time and space to kick?

I think he could help solve some of our issues when delivering the ball inside 50 if used correctly.

Hodginator

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As I recall from his 2018 efforts, he was pinging laser beams inside 50 and hitting our forward right on the chest. Was one of things that stuck out most for me about him.

Contrary to what others have said Worpel's kicking isn't what it should be. It is one of the many things he needs to work on. Teams will pay more attention to him going into his second season. As a result his possessions will be rushed. Among other things he needs to develop the composure to deliver under pressure both by hand and feet. He is a likely type and having Sam there will help him a lot

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Contrary to what others have said Worpel's kicking isn't what it should be. It is one of the many things he needs to work on. Teams will pay more attention to him going into his second season. As a result his possessions will be rushed. Among other things he needs to develop the composure to deliver under pressure both by hand and feet. He is a likely type and having Sam there will help him a lot

Yes his kicking whilst in space seemed to be better than originally advertised. However that's the absolute minimum for a quality midfielder. It's kicking under pressure that he needs to work on which will help take his game up another level.

Agree with TFP 100%.
He does have a tendency to “Dangerfield” the ball: run, take a couple of bounces and kick a shocker or turn the ball over. You can’t play that way when you want to retain possession.

He has to learn the Hawthorn way, to give the ball off to a teammate in a better position, EVERY time.

He’s only a kid - I think he’s smart enough to learn.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's not his kicking that's the issue - it's composure and decision making when emerging from congestion.
Technique is fine when he takes due care.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's not his kicking that's the issue - it's composure and decision making when emerging from congestion.
Technique is fine when he takes due care.

Agree with this. From what I’ve seen his kicking when not under pressure is exceptional. Some of his low, hard stab passes inside 50 to Gunners and Bruest etc were very impressive.

Just needs to play more and get used to the speed of the game. His awareness re time and space then improves and so will his kicking.
Its not automatic. He is not a naturally gifted kick similar to Stratton he is going to have to work on it

Its not automatic. He is not a naturally gifted kick similar to Stratton he is going to have to work on it
Don't think he's as bad as Stratton.

His technique is fine, and when he finds time and space he generally hits a target. We saw a few examples of that last season, especially delivering inside 50.
The knocks on his kicking were from his draft year, where he was finding contested ball and just throwing it on the boot. He needs to improve his awareness and game smarts.

Don't think he's as bad as Stratton.

His technique is fine, and when he finds time and space he generally hits a target. We saw a few examples of that last season, especially delivering inside 50.
The knocks on his kicking were from his draft year, where he was finding contested ball and just throwing it on the boot. He needs to improve his awareness and game smarts.
There are quite a few instances in games last year where he was clear running into the forward 50 and he just hacked it forward. It didn't go in as a drop punt. This has a lot to do with his technique and dropping the ball onto his feet while running. Similar to Impey in a lot ways. They both need lots of practice. Preseason is where they will do that. It will take time.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There are quite a few instances in games last year where he was clear running into the forward 50 and he just hacked it forward. It didn't go in as a drop punt. This has a lot to do with his technique and dropping the ball onto his feet while running. Similar to Impey in a lot ways. They both need lots of practice. Preseason is where they will do that. It will take time.
Mitchell wasn't elite when he first came to Hawthorn in 2001, compare Worpel's TAC to his season last year and he;s already made a massive improvement, not sure if he will ever be elite but he will be more than adequate.

Mar 23, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Agree with TFP 100%.
He does have a tendency to “Dangerfield” the ball: run, take a couple of bounces and kick a shocker or turn the ball over. You can’t play that way when you want to retain possession.

He has to learn the Hawthorn way, to give the ball off to a teammate in a better position, EVERY time.

He’s only a kid - I think he’s smart enough to learn.

You can imagine Chris Scott. "Listen Worps, at Geelong it is about touches not quality or benefit to the team. Gary's been one-two-three-ing for years and turning 13 touches into 39. Danger has been getting Brownlow votes for 35 touches and giving opposition half backs career best games."

Worps: "But will I win flags?"

Scott: "Sorry, is that important?"

Worps: "Sort of".

Scott: "Can you duck?"....

Mitchell wasn't elite when he first came to Hawthorn in 2001, compare Worpel's TAC to his season last year and he;s already made a massive improvement, not sure if he will ever be elite but he will be more than adequate.
I was (pleasantly) surprised with Worpel’s improvement from his TAC year into year 1 of AFL.

When I watched him played for Geelong Falcons, he was almost always chopping the ball forward mindlessly as a clearance kicker. I felt that was one of the main reasons he slid to #53 (decision making and execution by foot was well off many others in the draft). He was big enough to dominate inside, but not composed enough to use the ball well.

It’s pleasing to see his footskills in space at AFL level are pretty reasonable, and should be be too difficult to develop greater composure inside/under heat over time.

I still believe Dylan Moore will prove to be as good, if not better, than Worpel at AFL level. He just needs to get the size to compete. Anyone who watched the Box Hill flag can attest he has great composure and footskills for a small forward already.

I hope the both make their way into the side as regulars in 2019.

Mar 23, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
I was (pleasantly) surprised with Worpel’s improvement from his TAC year into year 1 of AFL.

When I watched him played for Geelong Falcons, he was almost always chopping the ball forward mindlessly as a clearance kicker. I felt that was one of the main reasons he slid to #53 (decision making and execution by foot was well off many others in the draft). He was big enough to dominate inside, but not composed enough to use the ball well.

It’s pleasing to see his footskills in space at AFL level are pretty reasonable, and should be be too difficult to develop greater composure inside/under heat over time.

I still believe Dylan Moore will prove to be as good, if not better, than Worpel at AFL level. He just needs to get the size to compete. Anyone who watched the Box Hill flag can attest he has great composure and footskills for a small forward already.

I hope the both make their way into the side as regulars in 2019.

I know Moore played as a small forward but with his elite endurance, surely he will grow into a mid?

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know Moore played as a small forward but with his elite endurance, surely he will grow into a mid?
Average 23 disposals in the under 18 carnival so he can find plently of the ball and he loves the inside stuff, so I'd be surprised if he didn't end up playing in the midfield. His size might stop he from being a full time mid but I can see him easily playing as a inside/outside midfielder.

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2019-02-11/worpel-signs-on

Young Hawk James Worpel has re-committed to the club, extending his contract for a further two seasons.

The re-signing follows an impressive debut season for the 19-year-old, in which he played 11 senior games and was recognised as the Hawks’ Best First Year Player.

GM-Football Graham Wright said the club is thrilled to have secured the promising youngster until at least the end of 2021.

“James is a talented young player with an exciting future ahead of him,” Wright said.

“He’s a great person to have around the club, and obviously he’s become pretty popular with our fans too.

“He had some big moments in 2018. He demonstrated his ability to perform at the elite level and he certainly doesn’t shy away from the contest.

“We’re looking forward to watching his development over the coming years.”

Affectionately known as the ‘Worpedo’ by the Hawthorn faithful, the Bannockburn local was selected with Pick 45 in the 2017 draft after a successful season captaining the TAC Cup’s Geelong Falcons.

He made his AFL debut in Round 6 2018, registering 13 touches and three tackles.

Worpel’s breakout game came in Round 18 against Carlton, when he returned to the senior line up and collected a career-high 32 touches.

Three weeks later, he was recognised with a Rising Star nomination after showing his wares against an experienced Geelong midfield.

Worpel will don the No.5 guernsey in 2019, a number made famous by the likes of Sam Mitchell and the late Peter Crimmins.

Back