Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

7th in the league for clearances, equal 4th for centre clearances. At the moment he's head and shoulder above everyone from his draft year

He's brilliant, though Tim Kelly and Jaidyn Stephenson were in that same draft.

Regardless he'd easily be a top 10 pick right now if done again. Very rare to have a midfielder who has played less than 50 games have such an impact.

He's brilliant, though Tim Kelly and Jaidyn Stephenson were in that same draft.

Regardless he'd easily be a top 10 pick right now if done again. Very rare to have a midfielder who has played less than 50 games have such an impact.

Stephenson has kinda plateaud to be fair.

I reckon he's second behind Kelly, who was mature enough to have more of an immediate impact.

My only knock on the Worpedo is that sometimes he hurries his disposal when he appears to have more time than he thinks (which leads to the odd clanger here and there).
It is a minor gripe though and to do what he has done so far at his age is excellent work from the young fella. Very much a future star in the making.

This may put the moz on him today....but, just checking out some stats comparisons at the same age and Worpel is flying(under the radar too).

355B9143-59F4-4116-9044-A4D2A815EBA5.png E560B07C-013C-4598-9121-914003A28EAE.jpeg
E560B07C-013C-4598-9121-914003A28EAE.jpeg 23C19646-A71B-4903-A182-522A88C59E39.jpeg

Metres gained is the big one for me. Wins it on the inside and then moves it forward.
When people talk about our young talent he gets overlooked more often than not. IMO due to the fact that he seems so accomplished already
What Judd used to do, and the media worshipped him. I'm happy our boy is somewhat flying under the radar.

Metres gained is the big one for me. Wins it on the inside and then moves it forward.
When people talk about our young talent he gets overlooked more often than not. IMO due to the fact that he seems so accomplished already
Only reason I can think why Hardwick was left out of the best U/22 team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Bontempelli(who I personally think is a little overhyped).

View attachment 663524View attachment 663525View attachment 663526
Just had a flick through a few others. Oliver Wines, Dustin Martin, Patrick Dangerfield. Makes you quite excited for what he could be if continues to improve. Like I said earlier in this thread, his biggest challenge right now is probably keeping himself grounded, and his ego in check. He has the potential to become one of the top few players in the league if he can continue to maintain the focus and work ethic to get there. I have no doubt he can do it if he does those things along with Sam's help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back