Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So you're calling BS on GeeLOL making contact on multiple occasions trying to poach him with his response being go away are you?

If you read my post correctly then you will see that you are clearly wrong.

They have been making an effort to sway his mind but to the kids credit he's remained loyal which is a testament to his character.

Hopefully he continues his animosity towards them as from what I've been told he was livid that they overlooked him on 3 occasions prior to us snapping him up.

Has all the traits to not only become an absolute weapon for us but also a future leader.

There's nothing but upside with this kid and once we add Mitchell and other possible inclusions to our side for next season watch him breakout.

I meant on the text message he’d be at Geelong next year and was buddy-buddy with the Geelong players. I have no doubt they’d be reaching out to him - the rumour they’ve contacted him multiple times is the most believable piece of intel I’ve heard all damn year - but Worps doesn’t seem like the type of character to just jump ship. He also signed a two year contract extension which isn’t indicative of a player immediately leaving. We showed faith in him, and they overlooked him three times.

Change of subject, but Jim reminds me of Luke Shuey. Very similar player.
I see him as more of a Nathan Jones.... I would like him to be more than that.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jimmy has other ambitions and it will be as a HFC PLAYER.
The young man comes from extremely good stock.
Clarko has spent time with them.
He understands the pressure.
The kid also knows they overlooked him.

James will play 200 games for the HFC, could well be a Captain. Wants to be a member of the next HFC midfield that delivers the next silverware.

They are his goals.
Suck s**t Cats

Although they’re a bit “on the top of the ladder-y” atm...

I see him as more of a Nathan Jones.... I would like him to be more than that.

I was watching highlights of Shuey from the weekend and it was uncanny how similar.

I like the prospect of him being something like Shuey as that implies actually being damaging.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Suck **** Cats

Oh yeah, they certainly are. Plenty of arrogance being thrown around by the Cats on and off field. An Agent contact said to me the other day “Cats are getting ahead of themselves and there are more than a few in the industry biding their time”.

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Suck **** Cats

I’d be more upset on Jimmy going to the handbaggers than my own wife leaving me - and I really love my wife.

Still upset over Franklin leaving, I hate the swans but hate Geelong more. Those arrogant pricks have had so many free kicks in luring back Geelong born players - Dangerfield, Rohan, Henderson, etc. Like a previous poster said they overlooked him three times in his draft year so that speaks volumes on how high they rated him.

Stay with us Jimmy and become a future Captain, it’s your destiny

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I meant on the text message he’d be at Geelong next year and was buddy-buddy with the Geelong players. I have no doubt they’d be reaching out to him - the rumour they’ve contacted him multiple times is the most believable piece of intel I’ve heard all damn year - but Worps doesn’t seem like the type of character to just jump ship. He also signed a two year contract extension which isn’t indicative of a player immediately leaving. We showed faith in him, and they overlooked him three times.

Totally agree with all of this and as I previously mentioned his telling them to essentially GAGF is a testament to his character and I'm really looking forward to watching him play 200+ games for us.

It also says a lot about the merky depths that GeeLOL are willing to sink to by continuing their efforts AFTER he's just re-signed.

Absolutely pathetic and laughable on their part!

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’d be more upset on Jimmy going to the handbaggers than my own wife leaving me - and I really love my wife.

Still upset over Franklin leaving, I hate the swans but hate Geelong more. Those arrogant pricks have had so many free kicks in luring back Geelong born players - Dangerfield, Rohan, Henderson, etc. Like a previous poster said they overlooked him three times in his draft year so that speaks volumes on how high they rated him.

Stay with us Jimmy and become a future Captain, it’s your destiny
Yeah...footy is great and stuff but...

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Change of subject, but Jim reminds me of Luke Shuey. Very similar player.

Don't see it myself, though I'd like it if it were true.

Shuey is a class midfielder that bursts out of congestion and has great kicking skills, which is the element of Worpel's game that is lacking at the moment.

I think Worpel is more of a quality contested player and doesn't have that level of class that a Shuey has. He may develop it though.

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
COKEandCOLA

I'd never trade Worpel for Geelong's first (which will be pick 15 to 18) and Cockatoo for Worpel.

We need young talent, especially in the midfield, and he's clearly our leading light there.

Obviously and I don't think that anyone here would.

It was more a question in relation to if the handbaggers continued attempts to bring him home succeed (which is highly bloody doubtful) would that soften the blow?

To be entirely honest I don't even think we should or would trade him for a pair of 1st rounders mate.

Think you need to read what I posted again because it's been misunderstood.

Apologies if that was due to my wording but I don't think it was.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don't see it myself, though I'd like it if it were true.

Shuey is a class midfielder that bursts out of congestion and has great kicking skills, which is the element of Worpel's game that is lacking at the moment.

I think Worpel is more of a quality contested player and doesn't have that level of class that a Shuey has. He may develop it though.

How many games has Shuey played ?? How many games has Worps played ??

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
1559021284656.png

Post the Lions game he wil have played 11 games in 2018 and 2019. Stats showing improvement !!

Exactly, his stats are insane for the amount of games he has played. Absolutely love the way he goes about it, Worpel will be a top 5 midfielder one day.

2020:

1. Mitchell
2. O’Meara
3. Coniglio
4. Shiels
5. Worpel

Yup, should be a Top 5 inside midfielder at Hawthorn next year!

Pretty well supported by Wingard, Smitty, Scully & Hendo on the outside!

2020:

1. Mitchell
2. O’Meara
3. Coniglio
4. Shiels
5. Worpel

Yup, should be a Top 5 inside midfielder at Hawthorn next year!

Pretty well supported by Wingard, Smitty, Scully & Hendo on the outside!
I’d say more like:
1. Mitchell
2. Henderson
3. O’Meara
4. Cognilio
5. Shiels
6. Worpel

Hendo is not playing a support role

I’d say more like:
1. Mitchell
2. Henderson
3. O’Meara
4. Cognilio
5. Shiels
6. Worpel

Hendo is not playing a support role
Pretty sweet way to miss the point there Horse. And See how I'd grouped them as inside mids & wingmen?

Back