Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Brendan is just upset that in his second year, Worpel already has him covered in all relevant statistics except Teammate beration %

Brendon being undersold again! He wasn't just one of the best teammate beraters in the competition, there were very few who could berate preztels and refreshments the way Goddard could. A leader of men. Some men lead by example, some by their inspiring words, Goddard led his teammates into battle with one of the sturdiest pointer fingers you'll ever see.

But seriously, Worpel could walk into Essendon right now, and be their best choice for captain.

Brendon being undersold again! He wasn't just one of the best teammate beraters in the competition, there were very few who could berate preztels and refreshments the way Goddard could. A leader of men. Some men lead by example, some by their inspiring words, Goddard led his teammates into battle with one of the sturdiest pointer fingers you'll ever see.

But seriously, Worpel could walk into Essendon right now, and be their best choice for captain.

All true but Brendon mustn't lose hope. Worpel is young and can work on his beration to improve

The Roaming Brian interview with Worpel and Sammy straight after the game gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Sam had gone straight to Worpel after the game and the two were immediately reviewing his game, they seem to have a special bond and it will be exciting to see where that takes Worps.

I feel like Sam sees Worpel as his own little "project".

Hey, lay off Brendon! Apart from one caretaker captain, he's the only Essendon captain this century who wasn't a serial sniper, or convicted drug cheat (or co-architect of said drug cheating). H'es an upstanding citizen compared to the rest of the scum that has led that club.
That is an extremely damning truth

View attachment 691969 Worpel the Worpedo....Least damaging mids....

Was this an opinion piece or based on stats?

Because anyone who watched Prestia or Beams this year will know that they aren't damaging.

Edit: saw the follow up posts. Strange that Beams and Prestia both fail the eye test IMO.

Last edited:

Floghard was the very best finger pointer the league has ever seen. That's his lasting legacy.

Was this an opinion piece or based on stats?

Because anyone who watched Prestia or Beams this year will know that they aren't damaging.

Edit: saw the follow up posts. Strange that Beams and Prestia both fail the eye test IMO.
Our team doesn’t score goals so it’s impossible to be damaging. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our team doesn’t score goals so it’s impossible to be damaging. ;)
Brishawk, given your fondness for stats and analysis, you may be the person to answer a question that's been bugging me (wrong thread I know!). Are the low scores similar to what happened in 2006-7 or 2011-12? I have this memory of building the defense first, and then focusing on mids and offense (with Lake obviously dropped in later). Seems similar to what we're doing this time.

Then slowly but surely the mids and forwards were let off the chain. Ring any bells?

Brishawk, given your fondness for stats and analysis, you may be the person to answer a question that's been bugging me (wrong thread I know!). Are the low scores similar to what happened in 2006-7 or 2011-12? I have this memory of building the defense first, and then focusing on mids and offense (with Lake obviously dropped in later). Seems similar to what we're doing this time.

Then slowly but surely the mids and forwards were let off the chain. Ring any bells?
Can’t recall exact averages but I will say that the evolution through 2009-2012 was very much about building the defence first and then becoming better at attack. I think that was the same in the period prior to 2008. On both occasions we ground out victories for a couple of years and then over a preseason or 2 we jumped up our attack. We were very dour in 2010. We perfected the defence in 2011 to a degree and benefited offensively. Then we went bang in attack in 2012. Massive increase if I recall correctly. Over the course of 2013-2015 we actually got better defensively and slightly worse in attack as players were very experienced but a bit older.

I was hoping last year was 2011 and this year was 2012 with a happier ending but the injuries and form of some players have crippled us so we revert to better defence. When we get more clinical with the ball our defence will improve greatly as a lot of opposition scores come from missed opportunities by us. I expect that when it clicks we will rocket up into premiership territory quickly. That’s why I’m so excited about landing cogs and a few other pieces.

Can’t recall exact averages but I will say that the evolution through 2009-2012 was very much about building the defence first and then becoming better at attack. I think that was the same in the period prior to 2008. On both occasions we ground out victories for a couple of years and then over a preseason or 2 we jumped up our attack. We were very dour in 2010. We perfected the defence in 2011 to a degree and benefited offensively. Then we went bang in attack in 2012. Massive increase if I recall correctly. Over the course of 2013-2015 we actually got better defensively and slightly worse in attack as players were very experienced but a bit older.

I was hoping last year was 2011 and this year was 2012 with a happier ending but the injuries and form of some players have crippled us so we revert to better defence. When we get more clinical with the ball our defence will improve greatly as a lot of opposition scores come from missed opportunities by us. I expect that when it clicks we will rocket up into premiership territory quickly. That’s why I’m so excited about landing cogs and a few other pieces.
BH - you (like Worps) are on another level

:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back