Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus the personal attacks on Goddard are a bit much.

So he's a moron and made a ridiculous comment, and then made himself sound dumber by trying to clarify it. Laugh at him on here, that's fair enough. But to post personal abuse directly to him because he said something about a footy player you like is over the top. Have a word with yourselves.
I have no time for personal attacks, but if Goddard made a stupid statement via social media, should he not expect responses to his stupidity to come via social media?

I agree - if he’s getting responses of a personal nature then it should stop, immediately; however, if the comments relate to his previous conduct as a player (Pretzel incident, for example) or his ill-thought out, ridiculous comments re: Worpel, then he has opened the argument & as such, is is subject to the various (non personal) responses.

That he posted on social media - a forum designed to generate comment & response - implies that others will read & respond: that’s what the platform is designed for. If people are responding to his stupidity then he’s kinda brought it on himself & should practice eating d***s as he’s a long career of sausage-loving ahead of himself unless he decides to think stuff through & starts to post comments that stand up to the scrutiny of affected supporters.

I have heard some say he is a bit on the slow side but he shows a lot of players a clean pair of heels when he breaks away feom the pack.
He takes those little steps to generate nice pace over short distances which is all that is required in Aussie rules.

Mark Naley was like this. Those quick short steps made that guy's career.

And didn’t he have a sh** hot & memorable career to be envious of?! :think: 😬

All-Australian, Premiership player.... Wasn't a long career I'd agree though ha ha. But without those short steps, he wouldn't have had a career at all I don't reckon. I have nightmares about him tearing it away from contests in 87. Hated the guy.

That super fast acceleration was telling though.

JaMeS wOrPeL cAn'T kIcK

The Mitchell effect!

6 weeks ago he kicks this ball as soon as he gets it and just puts it high and long to the goalsquare. Past 4 weeks, he has begun to weigh up his options and is far more aware of how much time and space he has. He is now consciously searching for the best option and taking a step of pace off his run just before he kicks to ensure that he is executing the pass properly.

The fact that Mitch has decided he is already at a stage where he is so good at getting the ball, that he is now ready to start learning how to use it expertly is very exciting and says a lot about his rapid development. Worps is going to be a genuine gun... maybe he already is!

2011 Brad Hill(33), 2013 James Sicily(56), 2015 Blake Hardwick(44), 2016 Mitchell Lewis(76), 2017 James Worpel(45), .

All those players would be top 5 in their draft year now

~ 2018 Matthew Walker(63)*
cogs, wingard, hayes, green, mitchell, yeo, neale, hill, devon smith, adams would be the top 10 from 2011 in no order. Only 3 of them(cogs @ 2, wingard @ 6 and hayes @ 7 were drafted in the top 10.

2013 would be kelly, billings, bont, cripps, impey, pearce barrass, ben brown, fantasia, sicily in no order. Once again only 3 taken inside the 10.

2015 mills, oliver, hardwick, hopper, mckay, hipwood, himmelberg, gresham, burton, dunkley, in no order. Only 4 taken inside the top 10.

2016 mcgrath taranto mcluggage, SPS, English, Witherden, , Rioli, Stewart, Ryan, Lewis in no order. Still only 4 taken inside the top 10(1, 2, 3 and 6)

2017 worpel, brayshaw, stephenson, clark, naughton, richards, ryan, daniels, taylor, miers in no order. Still only 4 taken.

Based off history you'd expect at least 6 of the ten best players in the draft to be drafted after the first 10 picks.

All-Australian, Premiership player.... Wasn't a long career I'd agree though ha ha. But without those short steps, he wouldn't have had a career at all I don't reckon. I have nightmares about him tearing it away from contests in 87. Hated the guy.

That super fast acceleration was telling though.
Naley was a champion midfielder/half forward with South Adelaide in the SANFL. Showed his class all too briefly in the VFL/AFL with Carlton, then suffered a serious injury and went back to SA.

Gees, he’s really racked them up over the last month or so. Bit pointless, but would be interesting to see how he compares with the rest of the comp over the same period. Would be right up there I’d think.

Not sure about the whole comp but 22 in the past month for Worpel, better than the entire top 10 players on the leaderboard.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gees, he’s really racked them up over the last month or so. Bit pointless, but would be interesting to see how he compares with the rest of the comp over the same period. Would be right up there I’d think.
I was expecting Worpel to run out of puff as the season progressed but it's been quite the opposite. Amazing run of recent games.

Has a player ever won the b&f in their second year of AFL?

Not saying he will win, think Mcevoy will, Impey was a shoe-in until the injury.

Sneaky for b&f?

Now that Henderson has gone quiet and Impey injures could snatch it.

Has to be in with a very good chance. Expect Hendo polled a lot of votes early and Siss was also good early. Maybe McEvoy in with a chance too...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back