Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I have always been a fan of langers (probably has a fair bit to do with the fact I hold his dad in the highest esteem as a hawk) but he was never the most talented junior and has always relied on work ethic and grunt. Worpel seem to have the talent base, and based on his efforts in AFLX, he also seems to have the grunt and work ethic. I think he could very quickly be an upgrade on Langers

If Worps can get consistently to the level Langers played in the 2014 GF, he will be doing very well. Fingers crossed !!!

upload_2018-2-21_11-2-55.jpeg

If Langers can get consistently to the level of Langers in the 2014 GF then he'd be best 22.

Haven't seen one iota of it for 3 years now though

The weird thing is it wasn't just the 2014 grand final - his 6-8 weeks leading into that was absolutely solid. To the point where Sewell was forced out of the side.

If Langers can get consistently to the level of Langers in the 2014 GF then he'd be best 22.

Haven't seen one iota of it for 3 years now though
Apart from goal kicking, him s form in the second half of last year was probably better than 2014. Certainly the most consistently good period of his career. Let himself down badly with goal kicking but in general play he was pretty good. His form was noticed by several commentators.

The weird thing is it wasn't just the 2014 grand final - his 6-8 weeks leading into that was absolutely solid. To the point where Sewell was forced out of the side.

Agreed, sadly, I think we've seen the best of him.

Not sure whether his drop in perceived ability is a result of this increased high pressure football all over the ground, impacting his already below average disposal and decision-making...

Apart from goal kicking, him s form in the second half of last year was probably better than 2014. Certainly the most consistently good period of his career. Let himself down badly with goal kicking but in general play he was pretty good. His form was noticed by several commentators.
Well, his goal kicking when playing as a forward is hugely important, and for that aspect to be extremely poor is just not good enough.

Also, his back half of 2017 was not as good, no way better than, his last few weeks of 2014. He was just special during that period and effectively ended Brad Sewell's career.
That 2014 form was the best Langford can ever play, that's his ceiling. He just needs to get to that again, and soon. It's looking more and more like a flash in the pan than anything else to be honest.

If he recaptures it in 2018, then we are well on the way to finals and beyond.

Well, his goal kicking when playing as a forward is hugely important, and for that aspect to be extremely poor is just not good enough.

Also, his back half of 2017 was not as good, no way better than, his last few weeks of 2014. He was just special during that period and effectively ended Brad Sewell's career.
That 2014 form was the best Langford can ever play, that's his ceiling. He just needs to get to that again, and soon. It's looking more and more like a flash in the pan than anything else to be honest.

If he recaptures it in 2018, then we are well on the way to finals and beyond.
I'd agree with that. Though I thought Clarko was onto something with the high half forward / pressure type role he played in the second half of last year. If he'd kicked straight (a BIG if I know) I think the move would be being talked about as a success. I'm unsure what role he could play this year or even if he's best 22 right now. A big year coming up for Will.

I'd agree with that. Though I thought Clarko was onto something with the high half forward / pressure type role he played in the second half of last year. If he'd kicked straight (a BIG if I know) I think the move would be being talked about as a success. I'm unsure what role he could play this year or even if he's best 22 right now. A big year coming up for Will.
How we set up in 2018 is interesting, and effects Langford greatly. Would we recruit Impey if we wanted Langford to play the pressuring forward role? And how does he fit with Rioli back on the scene. Breust, Poppy, Rioli, Impey and Langford is a few too many. And how about running with an extra mid so we can bat a bit deeper there? Can't see how Langford keeps that role

The only thing on Langford's side is that he is contracted til end of 2019, so he has a bit of time to earn a new deal

I get the feeling that if Langford is in the team at the end of the home and away games we would have had a bloody good year and will be playing finals such is the competition for spots with similar players to him.

Unless of course he is only in the team due to injuries.

A little Worp speed, a touch of Worpel spice, we could certainly use a taste of something new through the middle.
Could be the kid is the answer to unlocking the synergy that has clearly yet to develop.

Sometimes Clarko the right answer is the most obvious one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He reminds me a bit of Ollie Wines - who I had secretly hoped would be lured back to Victoria by us someday. Maybe we can save some cash.

Worpel could have Tom Mitchell 2017 stats this year and they would still find someone else to give it to.

The rising star award will always be awarded to a top draft pick..see last years result for recent example.

That being said, the 2018 award will be won by either Rayner (1), Brayshaw (2), Dow (3)

Heaven forbid the AFL would allow a pick 30-something win this "prestigious" award...

#hiddenagendas

The rising star award will always be awarded to a top draft pick..see last years result for recent example.

That being said, the 2018 award will be won by either Rayner (1), Brayshaw (2), Dow (3)

Heaven forbid the AFL would allow a pick 30-something win this "prestigious" award...

#hiddenagendas

Taylor was pick 28, Hanneberry was pick 30 and Mitchell was pick 36. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

#hiddenagendas
Hope they get Colin Sylvia o present the award. WOuld maintain their commitment to prestige from all angles

So I gather Worpel lacks fitness. To me this sounds like he's automatically at least a year or two off getting a game whilst he develops a tank.

#hiddenagendas

Your probably right but I would be genuinely shocked if Witherden didn't win it if he plays every game.

Your probably right but I would be genuinely shocked if Witherden didn't win it if he plays every game.
Not possible :think:
Slobbo will make sure of it as according to him, even if a player has played a few games the prior year, they should be ineligible. Despite what the award's rules stipulate, ie less than 10 games and under 21 or something like that. So no, do not put money on Witherden :D

His fitness isn’t afl midfielder standard must neither is the fitness level of most rookies. We tend not to expose rookies as full time mids so if he plays senior footy it will be on a flank with the odd burst in the middle.
He played full time mid on the weekend. But I'd love to see him get a crack this week or Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back