Universal Love Welcome to Hawthorn: Jarman Impey extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

So I asked the guy's on the Port board whether Impey had ever lined up in the centre square and apparently he never has.

I found this surprising given he has the ability to win the hard ball and break away from a stoppage with his evasive skills and pace.

I could see him at a centre bounce once or twice a quarter doing good things.
Impey is nothing but a tease, he looks good but does little, his speed is amazing but he often gets caught in the tackle because everyone knows that he's gonna try and side-step, with ball in hand his kicking is terrible and often ends up being a turn over and also as a player who had licence to find the ball and run he doesnt get enough of the footy because he lacks footy smarts to find it. For these reasons if i were Hawthorn i wouldnt be using him off half back or the wing but would most probably use him in a midfield tagging role where he can use his body as a cannonball to extract the pill with stints in the forward line creating forward pressure, that is what he is good at, his pace should be used on the inside for tackling and extracting, you dont want him kicking the ball

Impey is nothing but a tease, he looks good but does little, his speed is amazing but he often gets caught in the tackle because everyone knows that he's gonna try and side-step, with ball in hand his kicking is terrible and often ends up being a turn over and also as a player who had licence to find the ball and run he doesnt get enough of the footy because he lacks footy smarts to find it. For these reasons if i were Hawthorn i wouldnt be using him off half back or the wing but would most probably use him in a midfield tagging role where he can use his body as a cannonball to extract the pill with stints in the forward line creating forward pressure, that is what he is good at, his pace should be used on the inside for tackling and extracting, you dont want him kicking the ball

I think the hope is that he's still young, and at least he has the drive to go forward. We had Hartung in that position who seemingly didn't have that drive or confidence. Impey is decidedly an upgrade on that.

According to the Bay, it sounds like he is Cyril 2.0 !!!!

You might be right but clarko will play him off half back initially. Pending the need for a small forward if Rioli is a late starter etc.

Shame we couldn't get Stephen here. Imagine both Hill brothers running around in the B&G plus Smith.
The trouble is, with Dingley hanging over our heads, hawthorn probably rightly would have to consider the water bill, in having to hose both Fremantle AND Ross Lyon off Stephen Hill.

The trouble is, with Dingley hanging over our heads, hawthorn probably rightly would have to consider the water bill, in having to hose both Fremantle AND Ross Lyon off Stephen Hill.
I found just the thing...

images (17).jpeg

does he often kick it without ball in hand?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

does he often kick it without ball in hand?

I find it to be much easier to kick the ball once I've released it from hand, so I'm not that concerned to hear Impey struggles to kick well when the ball is still in his hand :)

I'm more concerned about people's hopes he'll be replacing Hartung on the wing, given he doesn't seem to have featured high up in any of the time trialing so far this pre-season. Sounds like he has the pace to play that role, but I'm not sure he'll have the endurance soon enough to play there at season start. Reading the training reports, I think I recall one poster mentioning him playing forward?

You could almost bet that Impey will play everywhere....

He will slot in around the midfield 30-40% & rotate like everyone else forward & back that have the capacity to be moved around, same as Poppy, Cyril, Breust, Silk.
Nice little bunch to throw around where needed

I heard a couple of times now that he lacks endurance. This sounds somewhat troubling for a guy we presumabably recruited to fill a hole left by Hill. Part of Port’s strength is their fitness, and if he has come lacking endurance after being on their list, will he ever find it?

I heard a couple of times now that he lacks endurance. This sounds somewhat troubling for a guy we presumabably recruited to fill a hole left by Hill. Part of Port’s strength is their fitness, and if he has come lacking endurance after being on their list, will he ever find it?
He wasn’t recruited to replace hill or Hartung. I’m sure his endurance will improve under jack.

It's a good question.

I was pretty amazed watching the time trial that he was in the bottom 3 players along with Ross and Worpel.

Given those 2 haven't had 1 pre season at an AFL club and Impey has had 4 it's a bit worrying.

Echoing Brishawk - but I don’t the intention was ever to take the other wing spot. I think he’ll be used down back to provide rebound and allow someone like Sicily, Hardwick or Burton to roam forward and possibly being groomed to take over Poppy’s spot in the forward line in time. Many in the know have stated that his tank is not where it needs to be to be a wing player - so I can’t imagine the club has recruited him with this intention - at least not for 2018 anyway.

I think Impey will start on the wing/half forward. The question will be can be win enough of the footy playing in the midfield? I think he averaged around 15 disposals per game last year which isn’t good but if he does become part of the midfield rotation than hopefully he can improve on his endurance levels and other aspects of the game.

Echoing Brishawk - but I don’t the intention was ever to take the other wing spot. I think he’ll be used down back to provide rebound and allow someone like Sicily, Hardwick or Burton to roam forward and possibly being groomed to take over Poppy’s spot in the forward line in time. Many in the know have stated that his tank is not where it needs to be to be a wing player - so I can’t imagine the club has recruited him with this intention - at least not for 2018 anyway.

I could see us playing a permanent extra man down back with Jarman reading spoilt balls and ripping down oppo forwards, and making more numbers to control coming out of the back...not sure he would replace Sic or Hardwick because to be honest, those two have looked their absolute best and so natural in defense. Burto likewise might have sizzled off the hbf, but the potential of him reading the flow of the ball and silkily making his way through the air and ground to mark, turn and goal is tantalizing.
5 up top is plenty if you can get quality delivery to advantage, and with JOM nearing lift off I think we'll see markedly better and more purposeful entries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back