Universal Love Welcome to Hawthorn: Jarman Impey extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone above suggested: for a good, young player that covers our biggest weakness, a couple of mid-to-late draft picks is a good deal.

His highlights are exciting, he obviously has all the ability in the world, and his consistency and decision-making are bound to improve with age and more coaching.

Welcome!

Kicking is something we always improve in a player. We spend a lot more time in drills than other clubs imo. It has been one of our main focuses at training.

The general field kicking of a hawthorn player is above average and that is not an accident. Smith and Stratton are excellent examples of players who have really improved their field kicking through hard work out on the track.

Depends what kind of game plan we go for. I know we don't normally copy the premier's game plan like the rest of the league and back our own system in, but we saw what happened when our precision game style came up against Richmond's manic forward pressure, we got carved up.

I'm not saying Clarko is going to copy Richmond, but all those 3 that you mentioned plus Impey seems like we'll be going for something similar, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he played forward line.

There's a team which recently won a bunch of premierships with a small forward line providing manic pressure. The name escapes me right now........

Happy to have him on board, looks like he has plenty to offer and surely Clarko will get the best out of him. Welcome to the Hawks Jarman.

There's a team which recently won a bunch of premierships with a small forward line providing manic pressure. The name escapes me right now........

We might have had small forwards providing forward pressure, but our game plan wasn't based around pressure, it was based around ball retention through precision kicking.

Richmond (and Western Bulldogs for that matter) designed their manic-pressure-quick-ball-movement game plans because it matches up really well against ours. But this is a whole other can of worms.

FWIW, I think Impey will play in the forward line.

I was thinking the same thing last night when I heard someone mention how Richmond have changed the game with smaller type forwards creating pressure. Anyone heard of Rioli, Puopolo, etc? It's as if Richmond invented it.

We might have had small forwards providing forward pressure, but our game plan wasn't based around pressure, it was based around ball retention through precision kicking.

Richmond (and Western Bulldogs for that matter) designed their manic-pressure-quick-ball-movement game plans because it matches up really well against ours. But this is a whole other can of worms.

FWIW, I think Impey will play in the forward line.

It was half of it though, from memory we were always #1 or near the top when it came to time inside 50, tackles inside 50 and pressure. If anything we were better at it, how many times would kick ins get botched because of how well we set up defensively and the amount backmen would panic having Puopolo or Cyril running at them?

It was half of it though, from memory we were always #1 or near the top when it came to time inside 50, tackles inside 50 and pressure. If anything we were better at it, how many times would kick ins get botched because of how well we set up defensively and the amount backmen would panic having Puopolo or Cyril running at them?

Allan Jeans use to say, the game is in 3 parts: when we have the ball, when they have the ball, and when the ball is in dispute.

I can agree that it was half of it, as whenever the opposition had the ball or whenever it was in dispute that our pressure was generally pretty good. But our game plan was not based around it. Applying pressure is pretty much every team's modus operandi when not in possession.

Allan Jeans use to say, the game is in 3 parts: when we have the ball, when they have the ball, and when the ball is in dispute.

I can agree that it was half of it, as whenever the opposition had the ball or whenever it was in dispute that our pressure was generally pretty good. But our game plan was not based around it. Applying pressure is pretty much every team's modus operandi when not in possession.

We were very good at forcing poor disposal, leading to turn overs, leading to us getting the ball in space, leading to goals for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were very good at forcing poor disposal, leading to turn overs, leading to us getting the ball in space, leading to goals for us.

Yes that is generally what good pressure does...

I'm not saying our pressure was non-existent, I'm saying our game plan isn't/wasn't based around it like Richmond and the Dogs.

It was though, in the right spots. Hawthorn were a team that focused on two things; controlling the football, and the football not leaving attacking 50. We did those two things very good.

We weren't seen as 'focusing' on pressure as much as Richmond and the Dogs because that was their entire game plan. Pressure. Unfortunately our pressure was shaded by the fact that we were #1 for uncontested possessions, marks, effective disposals, disposal efficiency. That doesn't mean we didn't do it as well.

I just had a quick look up of stats - in 2015, Breust, Rioli and Puopolo had a total of 314 tackles with 107 tackles inside 50. Castagna, Butler and Rioli this year had 243 tackles with 97 tackles inside 50.

Edit again: not to mention 108 goals vs 71 ;)

Last edited:
It was though, in the right spots. Hawthorn were a team that focused on two things; controlling the football, and the football not leaving attacking 50. We did those two things very good.

We weren't seen as 'focusing' on pressure as much as Richmond and the Dogs because that was their entire game plan. Pressure. Unfortunately our pressure was shaded by the fact that we were #1 for uncontested possessions, marks, effective disposals, disposal efficiency. That doesn't mean we didn't do it as well.

Yes I know, you've basically just re-iterated what I've said in my last 2-3 posts.

Hawthorn's pressure, while good, was not the sole basis for the game plan. Retention of the ball through elite disposal was.

The difference between the two game plans is not the pressure, its what both teams do when they have the ball. When we had the ball we held onto it, hence being #1 for uncontested possessions, marks and disposal efficiency like you said. When Richmond & the Dogs had the ball they do an all out assault on the forward line with 4-5 small forwards similar to a counter attack in soccer. Which is why people tend to focus on their manic pressure, as it's what gets them goals, not elite disposal.

Hayden Crozier, who is older, has played less games and was out of contract just got dealt for pick 40 and 82 with a future fourth rounder going to the Dogs. This makes the Impey trade absolutely fair, if not a bit of a steal for us based on that one.

So this is our strategy from now on? Just trade away all our draft picks for “ready made” players?

Our first pick this year is pick 43. They shouldn’t even bother turning up.

Good luck with the direction you are taking this club.

Just saw your join date.
And your avatar.
I'm calling bandwagonner who fell in love with Buddy - not the team - and doesn't have a clue what makes the Hawthorn footy club tick.
If you love picks, there's plenty of clubs with a billion of them this year. You might like them a little better than us....:mad:

Seriously. Effing. Impressed.
I'm pulling hard for this kid from now on.

Forgiving the odd word here or there - a bloody eloquent kid for a footy player! Look forward to hearing more from him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back