Universal Love Welcome to Hawthorn: Jarman Impey extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Witch hunt nonsense, if you're salty a Hawthorn player ever got done in for someone getting incidentally hurt than why be happy someone gets suspended for a push? Does it help us in any way? Will it stop AFL players from getting pushed in a marking contest? How many guys have gotten injured from a slight shove in the back the past few years?

It just seems like self absorbed, woe is me, poor Hawthorn talk.
How many guys have been injured from a trip in the last few years? Push in the back is a free kick, trip is a free kick. Howe copped three weeks for nothing other than the outcome. It is time the consequences were fairly distributed.

Witch hunt nonsense, if you're salty a Hawthorn player ever got done in for someone getting incidentally hurt than why be happy someone gets suspended for a push? Does it help us in any way? Will it stop AFL players from getting pushed in a marking contest? How many guys have gotten injured from a slight shove in the back the past few years?

It's not really, you don't want that stuff in the game. You could be suspended for tunneling if the outcome is severe enough, you can be suspended for pushing a bloke into the fence.

A player is at their most vulnerable when they're in the air and unsteady, so this sort of thing should definitely be discouraged.

All the best for your recovery Jarman.Not only have you evolved into an integral part of this resurgent team you have become an impressive role model at such a young age.
On a side note it seems a disproportionate number of these serious knee injuries have occured to half backs such as Lever, Doedee, Docherty, Birchall and now Jarman. Even though it is instinctive maybe we should hold off blaming opposition players.

That is exactly what it is, but I guess in times like this people vent their frustrations in different way.

If you are ever in doubt that Hawks fans might be losing their victim mentality, just wander into the headf***ed thread some time, it will make your head spin.

That is exactly what it is, but I guess in times like this people vent their frustrations in different way.

If you are ever in doubt that Hawks fans might be losing their victim mentality, just wander into the headf***ed thread some time, it will make your head spin.
You seem to have a victim complex about others victim complexes.

I just hate seeing all these Hawks fans so worked up about rubbish, thats all. But point taken, I'll give it a spell
Probably easier than trying to take two strokes off Jerry's game

There's a victimhood mentality to not wanting people pushed when they're vulnerable? Get off it mate. It's not a great look for the game and it has caused many injuries that could have been avoided. It's not just a Hawthorn thing.

Careers are almost ended with this but no one ever talks about it. Richo for example, in the 90s back when a knee reconstruction was a much bigger deal, shoved in a marking contest. There are likely a lot more examples of Knee injuries from unnecessary contact in a marking contest that I just can't think of. Happened to Jack Lonie earlier on in the year. There are definitely more injuries caused by this than there was by sliding in, for example.

There's a victimhood mentality to not wanting people pushed when they're vulnerable? Get off it mate. It's not a great look for the game and it has caused many injuries that could have been avoided. It's not just a Hawthorn thing.

Careers are almost ended with this but no one ever talks about it. Richo for example, in the 90s back when a knee reconstruction was a much bigger deal, shoved in a marking contest. There are likely a lot more examples of Knee injuries from unnecessary contact in a marking contest that I just can't think of. Happened to Jack Lonie earlier on in the year. There are definitely more injuries caused by this than there was by sliding in, for example.

I think you have misunderstood me here. I was referring to the paranoid complaints about the media silence, ie "if the roles were reversed the media would be crucifying the Hawks".

I think you have misunderstood me here. I was referring to the paranoid complaints about the media silence, ie "if the roles were reversed the media would be crucifying the Hawks".

Oh right, yeah fair enough. There is a bit of dramatisation. The media do love to feast on certain clubs though, it's better business to sell hope to some and despair to others.

It's not really, you don't want that stuff in the game. You could be suspended for tunneling if the outcome is severe enough, you can be suspended for pushing a bloke into the fence.

A player is at their most vulnerable when they're in the air and unsteady, so this sort of thing should definitely be discouraged.
He wasn't tunnelled though. Tunnelling is taking out the legs of someone in the air, Impey was just pushed in the back. That push happens 100 times a game, it was just unfortunate that Impey landed the way he did. I can understand wanting to discourage it, especially after what has happened, but it would be quite hard to police without affecting physicality in contests. I mean, a slight push in the back is nothing compared to having someone barrel into the side of you in a marking contest. It just becomes very hard to draw a line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he had pushed lower in his back he could have upended him and Impey could have landed on his head.... when you are planted on the ground, why do you have need to shove someone mid air? You've been out marked if you weren't already in the air contesting with him. It is unecessary and dangerous.

I would say the same about any other player on any other team if I saw such event, but I don't watch other teams play because I get no enjoyment from watching the game anymore.

Lol I bet if roles were reversed and impey pushed that vfl spud in the back, the media would be calling for a life ban on impey and Geelong and their fans would be having a sook.

I've thought about this a lot.

I reckon Impey if not the best is well in the top ten of marking in front of his opponent and bolting... as he is so damn quick and has a huge... super fast, first sidestep. I have little doubt Scott instructed his opponent to take him out if he ever got front position. Now in saying that I'm not going to call Scott out for being poor, I'm sure at worst in a GF Clarko would do the same you have too in GF's. So it basically comes down to the AFL not understanding what is dangerous and what is on facebook this week to call out.

It's Gillon's fault again. Or Mrs Foxtel as he's now known.

Players who return well inside 52 weeks often break down so I'm hoping Impey doesn't come back too early.
Keeping my expectations fairly modest for 2020, hopefully the lad plays some senior footy this year and regains somewhere near his best form in 2021

Players who return well inside 52 weeks often break down so I'm hoping Impey doesn't come back too early.
Keeping my expectations fairly modest for 2020, hopefully the lad plays some senior footy this year and regains somewhere near his best form in 2021

Agree, no point rushing him back this year. IMO we aren't a flag threat this year, but next year things could change after everyone has a chance to gel together and Mitchell will have a year under his belt. Studies show that the likelihood of re-injury dramatically reduces after taking 18 months out.

Agree, no point rushing him back this year. IMO we aren't a flag threat this year, but next year things could change after everyone has a chance to gel together and Mitchell will have a year under his belt. Studies show that the likelihood of re-injury dramatically reduces after taking 18 months out.
Agree with this although it's too early to rule us out as a contender

Remove this Banner Ad

Back