News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He offered us a lot more in the forward line in this game than we'd had previously. Got a bit of anger in him with the delivery which is fine in my book.

Also copped one of the worst push in the back non-decisions I've seen in recent years on the wing later in the game.

I still feel we have the makings of a good forward line if both Patton and Lewis can get on the park at the same time.
I dont think we will see it this year but next year yes.

I would like to see him barrel through a few defenders Lockett style so they are nervy standing on the hole. Teach those kicking into the 50 to put the ball on the defenders head and let him rip
He should be making "genuine attempts" at every pack. Clearing the way for Gunston and O'Brien to come through straight after.

I would like to see him barrel through a few defenders Lockett style so they are nervy standing on the hole. Teach those kicking into the 50 to put the ball on the defenders head and let him rip
Yep, I’m on that one as well.
I think that will be a body confidence issue. He did crunch someone in his first game I think. Can’t remember who

Giving him a 3 year deal is an absolute horror show, we'll be lucky to get 20 games out of him.
Agreed. Can’t see how we thought 3 years was smart given his history. And I think it’s three years on decent money as well. With list sizes shrinking he’s a list liability. Seems like a nice bloke but evidence so far this year is We got it wrong. And given state of our list do we want to be investing games in him Over next two years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Can’t see how we thought 3 years was smart given his history. And I think it’s three years on decent money as well. With list sizes shrinking he’s a list liability. Seems like a nice bloke but evidence so far this year is We got it wrong. And given state of our list do we want to be investing games in him Over next two years?

Probably won't be a problem given his injury run.

I'm not as give up on him as you two. I don't think we overpaid from memory wasn't it about 360k x 3 years and with our list we'd probably need that amount just to make the minimum salary cap and not be fined by the afl.

While I agree he can still be a bust, this is a terrible year, for players returning from injuries, no time to actually get a real training base (remember all the rules stopping full training early on players split in small groups), no actual real reserve games to help build fitness get your body ready for the rigors of footy, you basically have to thro guys in to the seniors and then no time between games to recover.

I'd put him away this year and hope with a more natural season next year we can get him right, the good thing is he has played a few games and hasn't done a career ending injury, so as disappointing in some ways this year was, he will be in a far better position coming into next season but as I've said, agree it may not happen.

Putting him away will also give Lewis a block of four games to show something like he did late last year, rather than the nothing he has showed us this year. Him not playing has probably been one of the disappointments of the season, moreso than any of our other tall forwards, he's obviously not doing something right to be picked, so packing up Patton and letting out Lewis might help give us some hope for both of them next year.

Let’s be honest none of our recruits ever Pan out good in there first year apart from Tom Mitchell. Omeara Wingard Burgoyne Had a fair share of injury issues in their first couple of seasons. Big off season for patton hopefully.

His too dam heavy, it's pretty simple, drop weight or he should not be playing

*Edit, I don't see this happening under Russel...

Last edited:
Hi too dam heavy, it's pretty simple, drop weight or he should not be playing
I am not sure this is the problem. I think its more to do with the fact that he is patched up (and his mind is probably confirming that) and appears to have little core strength. If he did, his size would be an advantage. I think its lazy saying he is too big. It the reason we wanted him.

Agree with others that Patton looks far too heavy for someone with bad knees. I can't see it working out for us, his body language has been apalling in the limited games that he's actually played.

I am not sure this is the problem. I think its more to do with the fact that he is patched up (and his mind is probably confirming that) and appears to have little core strength. If he did, his size would be an advantage. I think its lazy saying he is too big. It the reason we wanted him.
Agree on core strength but you can't have both negatives, if he has a weak core and he is carrying a lot of mass injuries will just come because this sport is super taxing. Drop weight and build that base back up... (He lacks no ability to put on size)

My concern is less in the condition of a player returning to game time and needing match fitness and more in the club allowing him to play when his size and fitness level in an elite sport is creating an outcome of soft tissue injuries, surely this is mismanagement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back