News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are going to have some awkward matchup for opposition coaches to think about.

Even a less than mobile Patton will have to demand a KPD if he's sat in the square. And if Clarko insists on the bomb it long game plan then at least we will be bombing onto his head and not Puopolo's.

His interview on Hawthornfc.com.au was very, very good.

He speaks really well. So open. None of the typical bullshit clichés.

Very impressive.

(Sadly no chance of ever becoming a retired footballer turned commentator... Polar opposite of those idiots)

Can he jump? Do we want him to?

Will make a good step ladder for O'Brien I think. Also reckon Nash will improve his marking next year.

He's got meaty looking hands, just what you want on your KPF! *reminisces of Stewart Loewe*

Best of luck to him, a fresh start, a good medical team, and good coaching - he could come back a changed man, and if he takes the first defender off Lewis that's a huge win.

I'm hoping for 15 games and 30 goals in his 1st year and no knee injuries. What are other people's expectations?
I don’t particularly care what the stats sheet attributes directly to him, but I reckon adding Patton makes us a 3+ goal better side.

Great acquisition hawks. A fit Patton, Mitchell and O'Meara will see the hawks back in the hunt big time. Hawks/Tigers GF would be something to behold.

PS, loved Hawthorns work in the last round. Would have done some damage had they made the eight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hoping for 15 games and 30 goals in his 1st year and no knee injuries. What are other people's expectations?
Conservatively, a 110 goal year, AA full forward, and at least top three in the Norm Smith. Anything less is a bust for what we had to shell out for him.

I think clarkson has some plans in the works to take advantage of 6 6 6. Contested bulls in the middle with Ceglar rucking. If we lose we have a tall backline and mcevoy behind the ball to intercept mark the rushed kick. If we win we have Patton and Lewis as targets with Nash and Obrien jumping on their heads and Bruest, Gunston, Wingard at their feet.

Really going to play in the air and the stoppages.

Hmm... interesting. Bomb-and-pray becomes a little more viable with a forest of talls and a few little elves running between their legs crumbing. Plus, if we can turn the defensive pressure up a notch or two over our performance in the last third of the season then you can expect a bit of bomb-and-pray into our backline as well.

Yes, a super high pressure midfield forcing, fast, high blind entries at both ends. It could almost look like old-school football. Now I'm itching for the preseason. How long is it?

It's a steal any way you look at it IMO. Most clubs won't even use a fourth round pick, so if you're effectively bringing in someone with the potential Patton has for a throw away asset, I'd say that's the definition of a steal. Regardless of injury history.

I understand your reasoning and it makes sense what you are saying.

Just some perspective, players struggle after such trauma to become massive a-grade contributors. These types of injuries are huge, especially for big bulky players.

There is something about severe knee injuries which I feel never make the player the same again. That extra zip, that extra 3-5% needed to be elite. I’m not denying he can have an influence but it isn’t the steal of century by any stretch as many are mentioning. I truly hope I’m wrong.

Even with JOM, the reality is, he is not the player he was expected to be given his cruel injury stretch to his knee. Very few players can reach the heights expected of them when the knee buckles. JOM has done remarkably well to contribute at a higher than average level on the big stage, however he isn’t AA quality, and hasn’t reached the heights expected of him. This may very well turn and I hope he wins a couple of best and fairest or even a brownlow to prove me wrong. At the moment however he isn’t quite where he wants to be.

Patton I feel is in the same boat now. He will be a significant contributor no doubt, however he can’t be the focus with such a horrid run.

KOLOKOTRONIS

ps we are paying a whopping salary also...

Patton I feel is in the same boat now. He will be a significant contributor no doubt, however he can’t be the focus with such a horrid run.

KOLOKOTRONIS

ps we are paying a whopping salary also...
$700k for next season only and we have the room....after that $350k per season for 2 years, risk v reward situation, worst case scenario won't hurt us too much....Scully also in the Omeara and Patton boat, however, unlike the 2 GWS boys, we did pay hefty draft pick price for the O'meara and Wingard deals

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back