News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In truth, when GF's like GWS vs Richmond or Geelong vs Port occur, I often wish for a massive Earthquake.

I don't wish anyone any specific harm, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't wish a sinkhole-type scenario would open up in Melbourne...

A mild game-ending corkie or a toe stubbing I can deal with, but career ending injuries (like that guy was hoping for) is just pathetic.

Lewis is the most likely to miss round 1

Thanks mumford you thug

For some reason I thought he was going to miss the first 4 months of next year, but I'm wrong, he's only going to be delayed to start his pre-season due to his shoulder reconstruction back in September.

In fact, the bulk of the training up till Christmas is conditioning, isn't it? Ball work will probably commence in January.

What do people think the signing of Patton means for our forward set up? Can we play Patton, Lewis, Gunston and O'Brien in the same forward line? If not, what happens to the odd man out?

What do people think the signing of Patton means for our forward set up? Can we play Patton, Lewis, Gunston and O'Brien in the same forward line? If not, what happens to the odd man out?
It's really hard to know until we see it in action but i don't see why not, 3 of those talls are relatively agile for big men and even Patton who lacks the speed and agility is rather clean below his knees.

Patton in the goal square, Mitch Lewis CHF and O'brien and Gunston roaming higher up on to the wings and running back towards goals. The only concern i have is when you have a these talls the last thing you want is to clog up the forward 50 and allow the opposition to easily get across and help. As long as our ball movement is a lot faster this year i think it can work big time. We will receive a lot of frees from defenders panicking 1 on 1 with that forward line if we can get it in quickly.

You can certainly make a case for or against playing them all & neither be right or wrong.

I think Smitty will be used across Half Back for the majority, until Impey returns, but we should recall the 2017 that Gunston had playing across Half Back - he was very effective (albeit, he played as the 7th defender).

If they were all to be on the ground at once, I'd want Gunston to float up into the middle & give us an extra number through there - he's still very skillful, a strong mark & creative kick - he then hits up a Half Forward or leading forward & runs back toward goal amidst the chaos or falls into place in our wall/zone that ensures the ball doesn't leave our Forwardline.

TO'B to play 15%-20% Ruck.

It's really hard to know until we see it in action but i don't see why not, 3 of those talls are relatively agile for big men and even Patton who lacks the speed and agility is rather clean below his knees.

Patton in the goal square, Mitch Lewis CHF and O'brien and Gunston roaming higher up on to the wings and running back towards goals. The only concern i have is when you have a these talls the last thing you want is to clog up the forward 50 and allow the opposition to easily get across and help. As long as our ball movement is a lot faster this year i think it can work big time. We will receive a lot of frees from defenders panicking 1 on 1 with that forward line if we can get it in quickly.

I genuinely think we manage to line up next year with O'Brien, Patton, Lewis, Gunston and Nash all cycling through that forward line.

Genuinely strong, mobile and quick forward line. Particularly O'Brien and Nash who have genuine speed.

Patton with how he has stripped down and trained recently could be better than we all assume too.

One will be on the bench alot of the time while gunner and Timmy can rotate through half back or wing, be rare that all 4 up forward at once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can manage to play Patton/Lewis/O'Brien/Gunston. Patton & Lewis are your traditional FF/CHF with Lewis roaming up the ground and helping out in the ruck. Gunston/O'Brien are both athletic, fantastic marks and flexible. We could have Gunston/O'Brien switching between playing wing and forward. I don't necessarily think they'll all be in the forwardline at the same time but I do think we can easily fit them into the same side.

The big headache for me in the ruck situation. If we do decide to play all four aforementioned players we don't really have room for a second ruck. And while the club has indicated we are interested in using McEvoy as a defender we already have Frawley/Frost/Sicily as our tall defensive unit. McEvoy is too good a player to be playing seconds, but signing Ceglar to a 3-year deal indicates we would probably like to use him as the number 1 ruck.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he spends a fair bit of time at box hill getting his confidence and form back. He’s a 3 year project - can’t think of any talls who have come back from 3 ACLs and he wasn’t that mobile to begin with.

No point playing him at afl level and destroying what limited confidence he has. A tall marking forward role is tough at afl level - and we won’t cop him not being active at ground level or providing pressure.

Gets even weirder if Nash finds form. Someone may play elsewhere you’d think

If Nash finds form as a pressure forward that can kick goals, can you imagine being the back pocket that has to line up on him?

I think we can play them all. Both Gunston and TOB can push right up the ground, and I wouldn't be surprised if we used Gunston on a wing and TOB as a swing man if need be.

I think we'd create some very difficult matchups with Gunston and TOB would be up against the third and fourth defenders.

TOB probably more cemented down back now, as was planned two years ago. Swingman roles up-forward should be a less regular occurrance for Timmeh...

TOB probably more cemented down back now, as was planned two years ago. Swingman roles up-forward should be a less regular occurrance for Timmeh...
I reckon that makes us too tall in defence. TO'B, Frawley, Frost & Sicily with Stratts & Hardwick as stoppers doesn't have enough run or rebound.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he spends a fair bit of time at box hill getting his confidence and form back. He’s a 3 year project - can’t think of any talls who have come back from 3 ACLs and he wasn’t that mobile to begin with.

No point playing him at afl level and destroying what limited confidence he has. A tall marking forward role is tough at afl level - and we won’t cop him not being active at ground level or providing pressure.
A 3 year project for a guy who will be 27 near the start of the season, not too sure about that one. He has to have a little more of an impact earlier I'd think for it to be successful.

Its also probably not the best to be playing on VFL grounds compared to AFL grounds with his knees.

I reckon that makes us too tall in defence. TO'B, Frawley, Frost & Sicily with Stratts & Hardwick as stoppers doesn't have enough run or rebound.
Not a problem. These days if you're picked on the half forward line then you're spending most of your time on the half back flank anywayz...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back