News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point he’s trying to make is that if the rumours in the most recent texts flying around are true, everyone around him would have known. Almost impossible not to.
Way to much speculative leaps to start coming down hard on the club though. Know he propositions lots of women is one thing but stalking them for two years and cold calling them with his dick in his hand etc. is probably not something he talks about with clarko.

Way to much speculative leaps to start coming down hard on the club though. Know he propositions lots of women is one thing but stalking them for two years and cold calling them with his dick in his hand etc. is probably not something he talks about with clarko.
Yeah sorry, I’m not blaming the club at all, just expanding what a previous poster was talking about. Sounds like he certainly had a reputation, but the dick stuff is next level.

The club is to blame for what a player is doing on their phone outside the walls of the club? That is a rather onerous level of accountability you want the club to have over player behaviour. The club really can't be blamed for Patton being a/sending a dick.

The stories I have been told about what Buddy did to women make Patton's infractions minor in comparison - nobody was saying we had a culture issue in those glory days. Some footy players (and men in general) tend to have issues in the way they treat and interact with women - I honestly don't think that means there is a culture issue at the club. Players would be constantly lectured about this kind of thing - does that mean they are going to listen? The amount of 'don't do this/don't do that' HR sessions I have been to in the corporate world don't stop people acting depraved in work settings. Clubs can only do so much - there comes a point where players have to take the brunt of the responsibility for their actions.
Correct depending on age, in different to buddy this is a mature player we have recruited knowing his habits or alternatively our dd process should reveal habits that are well known in the AFL community and speculated upon amongst our own playing group at the time.

Correct depending on age, in different to buddy this is a mature player we have recruited knowing his habits or alternatively our dd process should reveal habits that are well known in the AFL community and speculated upon amongst our own playing group at the time.

I’m fairly positive that the recruitment process wouldn’t involve discussing gossip with players. That he was known as the ‘Tinder king’ at GWS doesn’t immediately suggest he was sending unwarranted pics/videos en masse. I dare say a good deal of single players (and possibly some coupled up ones as well) are fairly prolific at meeting women via dating apps and social media. The reputation of being a pants man doesn’t necessarily equate to crossing the line. No complaints ever surfaced when he was at GWS - and during the off season he was signed I never saw any gossip on here suggesting he would be a cultural misfit. The only conjecture on him was his body holding up.

The club can’t run recruitment on the basis of rumours and Reddit. If there had been media reports like there are now and we still pulled the trigger - then by all means question the club’s judgement. The club’s culture and recruitment really isn’t at question here because Patton can’t keep it in his pants.

Last edited:
I’m fairly positive that the recruitment process wouldn’t involve discussing gossip with players. That he was known as the ‘Tinder king’ at GWS doesn’t immediately suggest he was sending unwarranted pics/videos en masse. I dare say a good deal of single players (and possibly some coupled up ones as well) are fairly prolific at meeting women via dating apps and social media. The reputation of being a pants man doesn’t necessarily equate to crossing the line. No complaints ever surfaced when he was at GWS - and during the off season he was signed I never saw any gossip on here suggesting he would be a cultural misfit. The only conjecture on him was his body holding up.

The club can’t run recruitment on the basis of rumours and Reddit. If there had been media reports like there are now and we still pulled the trigger - then by all means question the club’s judgement. The club’s culture and recruitment really isn’t at question here because Patton can’t keep it in his pants.
NED! Welcome back.

Well yes, in 99% of cases this is true. But I really don’t think prospective players will have an issue if Hawthorn fail to stand behind Patton. If anything, our ‘drawing card’ as the family club is at stake if Hawthorn don’t appropriately deal with Patton.

no players would think negatively about the Swans tearing up Elijah Taylor’s contract, this is a similar situation.
The “family club” monicker is a marketing slogan.
Do you really think the HFC cares more about families than any other club? Come on now.

We use it as a way to sell the culture to the members, and we no doubt do have a great “family club” culture and history to pin it on, but that’s doesn’t mean that we’re not first and foremost a football club that has to deal with numerous indiscretions by 20 something year olds, who’s actions would make a mockery of that slogan if we didn’t shut up shop and say nothing to the media.

Enjoy the “family club” monicker and the good things that come with it, like the videos on social media, but try not to lose sight of the fact that it’s just a marketing term nowadays, rather than an exclusive draw card for possibly recruits.

Do you really think the HFC cares more about families than any other club? Come on now.

We use it as a way to sell the culture to the members, and we no doubt do have a great “family club” culture and history to pin it on, but that’s doesn’t mean that we’re not first and foremost a football club that has to deal with numerous indiscretions by 20 something year olds, who’s actions would make a mockery of that slogan if we didn’t shut up shop and say nothing to the media.

Enjoy the “family club” monicker and the good things that come with it, like the videos on social media, but try not to lose sight of the fact that it’s just a marketing term nowadays, rather than an exclusive draw card for possibly recruits.
Would you say this to John Kennedy?

Jeff publicly used it as justification for why we didn’t chase Jake Stringer a few years ago after his affair. Whether that’s the real reason or not, who knows.

ps I remember vividly in the late 90s, sitting in the outer at Waverley in the lead up to games and that sister sledge song “we are family” being played on repeat. Such cringe.

We’re a club that relies on pokies, there’s nothing family orientated about that

as others have said, it’s nothing but a marketing gimmick - we are no better or worse than other clubs

Ok cool, I get that. But, do you honestly think players would think twice about coming to Hawthorn if the club tore Patton’s contract up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok cool, I get that. But, do you honestly think players would think twice about coming to Hawthorn if the club tore Patton’s contract up?
I think it would taint our culture or rep as a supportive environment to quite a few players, yes.

Not all, of course.

Particularly considering that this Patton stuff is historical, so were we to turf him it would look like we were all in on getting him back to the player he promised to be even with his history of injury, but as soon as we found he had an off-field issue we threw him out to fend for himself.

I don’t think that’s something we’d do, but perhaps it’s the hard decision that needs to be made.

I think it would taint our culture or rep as a supportive environment to quite a few players, yes.

Not all, of course.

Particularly considering that this Patton stuff is historical, so were we to turf him it would look like we were all in on getting him back to the player he promised to be even with his history of injury, but as soon as we found he had an off-field issue we threw him out to fend for himself.

I don’t think that’s something we’d do, but perhaps it’s the hard decision that needs to be made.
Do you think Sydney’s handling of the Elijah Taylor case has hurt their reputation?

Do you think Sydney’s handling of the Elijah Taylor case has hurt their reputation?
No, because that's a false equivalency.

Taylor plead guilty to an assault charge, Swans then sacked him after initially standing him down.

Patton has been stood down, to date, and it's unknown if he will face charges and subsequently plead guilty. Unless he does, I think we'll stand by him.

The family club has always been an internal thing to me - not external. The way the club looks after their own, that’s the family. It doesn’t mean the family values or family orientated club - it means how the club treats those within the organisation. To me the family club is encapsulated in pictures of players getting around Crimmo in his hospital bed with the 1976 cup. It has little to do with anything beyond the four walls of the club. Yes we bandy the term around for gimmicky/marketing purposes - but the true meaning of it doesn’t relate to morality whatsoever.

No, because that's a false equivalency.

Taylor plead guilty to an assault charge, Swans then sacked him after initially standing him down.

Patton has been stood down, to date, and it's unknown if he will face charges and subsequently plead guilty. Unless he does, I think we'll stand by him.
Sorry, I was arguing under the assumption that Patton was guilty. Obviously, we weren’t on the same page.

nevertheless, there is a heightened need for sensitivity in a case like this. I don’t think some supporters appreciate that. And, although Hawthorn will need to consider Patton until he is proven guilty, there needs to be a compassionate approach to every one else. Hawthorn fans (male and female), the victims (even, say, Patton was acquitted, there needs to be a strong public support for them by the club until that point) and the wider AFL community. If not dealt with appropriately, Hawthorn could be seen as one of the least progressive and inclusive clubs in the league. The off-field impact could be huge.

We’re a club that relies on pokies, there’s nothing family orientated about that

Until the AFL blocks sports betting agencies from sponsorship and advertising then I have no issue with clubs making some money off pokies.

One can be done 24/7 form your smart phone. The other can't.

Until the AFL blocks sports betting agencies from sponsorship and advertising then I have no issue with clubs making some money off pokies.

One can be done 24/7 form your smart phone. The other can't.

Way to miss the point
I’m not discussing gambling per se, we were talking about the “family club” moniker and what that apparently stands for.

The cake clip from his GWS days is really bad. Even as a lad that enjoyed the chase as a young fella that is just complete garbage behaviour. Clearly needs to be moved on given that hasn't changed.

Well if you’re just going to make up statistics like ‘spending 80% of his time being a dirty grub’ you’re just arguing in bad faith.

This information has only just come to light and you’re honestly accusing people at the club for not having the prescience of knowing what Patton was getting up to in the private messages of apps? Honestly - no club is going to demand a player hand over their phone for a forensic investigation as part of the recruitment process. This really isn’t on the club.
Going to have to agree to disagree then.

The acquisition of a mature player makes the club accountable, if the club wants to put it's head in the sand on this I would be shocked. (I am not assuming they are) If it was a junior player I could understand, but it was known to every single player he played with and has only gotten worst. You don't need to investigate a players phone, just pick up the phone, do some investigation, just spend a little bit of time...

With approx $13m of players/assets under management surely you are spending $x % on doing some investigation on who you are bringing into a club, when every pickup has an impact on culture and standards.

I am calling our culture into question because of how disgusting half the stuff coming out is from a mature player that is a part of hawthorn who's best mate is apparently a future captain to some is in our leadership group.

The team and culture needs to be rebuilt and you aren't going to achieve that with people like this.

Going to have to agree to disagree then.

The acquisition of a mature player makes the club accountable, if the club wants to put it's head in the sand on this I would be shocked. (I am not assuming they are) If it was a junior player I could understand, but it was known to every single player he played with and has only gotten worst. You don't need to investigate a players phone, just pick up the phone, do some investigation, just spend a little bit of time...

With approx $13m of players/assets under management surely you are spending $x % on doing some investigation on who you are bringing into a club, when every pickup has an impact on culture and standards.

I am calling our culture into question because of how disgusting half the stuff coming out is from a mature player that is a part of hawthorn who's best mate is apparently a future captain to some is in our leadership group.

The team and culture needs to be rebuilt and you aren't going to achieve that with people like this.

Again with the sweeping statements. ‘Every’ player who has played with him knew what he was doing. Arguments are easy to win when you can just make up the narrative to suit yourself.

If you honestly think that clubs are going to start calling teammates of players they’re trying to recruit in the hope that the players are going to dob on their mates - then that’s fairly naive. If you think players would want to come to a club that is doing that kind of invasive background checking then that’s a leap of faith. I’ve had to do ADF reference interviews for a mate of mine - and they do ask the level of questioning you seemingly expect for player recruitment. They do this because my mate has high level security clearance and needs to be trustworthy. Patton needs to mark a ball and kick goals. Yes players have to comply to stringent behavioural expectations above and beyond you and I - but I really don’t foresee any club going to the combing through a player’s bins level of detail you seem to be expecting.

All of that said - I would expect Patton to be released but with the club providing ongoing mental health support. I don’t condone what he’s done for a second - however all clubs are going to recruit players young and mature who do stupid s**t, it’s inevitable in sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back