News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkdork83

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I get and agree Jon has mental health issues, as a result of his actions.

I can be empathetic and I don't wish it upon anyone to get to a point to potentially not see a way out, but this is not a person that has battled Mental Health their entire life, as many in our community do, this is an entitled individual that because of his actions has recognised his career has come to an end. At present, Jon isn't able or willing to accept the responsibility for his actions.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I'm of the belief that those with minor episodes are discharged within days.
This must be serious.

His whole life has essentially crashing down. Everyone he knows, including his family, are aware of what he's done. All the hard work he had put into his rehabbing may have been for naught in the end, and I am guessing before this all happened he was thinking that this will finally be my year.

I can be empathetic and I don't wish it upon anyone to get to a point to potentially not see a way out, but this is not a person that has battled Mental Health their entire life, as many in our community do, this is an entitled individual that because of his actions has recognised his career has come to an end. At present, Jon isn't able or willing to accept the responsibility for his actions.

That you know of. You don't know the guy's mental health history - and plenty of gregarious, privleged and wealthy people have suffered tremendously from mental illness.

There was many things, but a lot of his actions were a consequence of his mental health.

I have googled this morning to clarify and I am positive there is nothing publicly stated that Buddy has had substance abuse issues and that was the cause of his mental illness break in 2015. I mean I have heard the gossip and rumours as much as the next person - but to state it as fact as is happening here on a public forum is walking a fine line in my opinion.

GerryLewis

All Australian
Nov 10, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs

Sorry mate but this is an exceptionally poor take. You're drawing conclusions from assumptions. Always dangerous.

GerryLewis

All Australian
Nov 10, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
I stand by it mate. The narrative by a vocal few posters in here is missing the mark. It's almost as if some are employed by the club to be in here...
And FWIW no one here is condoning nor excusing his actions. Whilst likely linked they can and will be dealt with entirely separately. Just like this conversation.

I stand by it mate. The narrative by a vocal few posters in here is missing the mark. It's almost as if some are employed by the club to be in here...
You can standby it if you like, but that doesn’t make it wrong to state categorically that he’s not had any mental health issues prior to now in his life, unless you’re his doctor.
Are you his doctor?

hawkdork83

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And FWIW no one here is condoning nor excusing his actions. Whilst likely linked they can and will be dealt with entirely separately. Just like this conversation.

This is where I disagree. Lots of people here are doing exactly that mate. This is 90% of what is posted in here and when someone says other, whack the establishment comes out.

My bad. Sorry, Jon is a victim here. I forgot.
No, this is a very poor argument. No one is saying that.

Jon is not a victim, but he’s also now dealing with the repercussions of the allegations against him.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
It’s almost as if having a hugely impactful negative story about you in the national media, your career being in jeopardy and possible police investigation/legal charges might push some people to a breaking point.

I imagine the injury woes and multiple lengthy rehabs he's gone through has compounded things. He was probably thinking that this year he will finally get a chance.

Last edited:

hawkdork83

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You can standby it if you like, but that doesn’t make it wrong to state categorically that he’s not had any mental health issues prior to now in his life, unless you’re his doctor.
Are you his doctor?

I would say a majority of the population has suffered from anxiety and depression at one point in time or more. Often, this is a result of negative things happening in ones life. Losing a family member, being made redundant, lockdown etc. It also often happens when people's actions are regrettable.

I doubt Jon suffers from bi-polar or clinical depression otherwise I think it would be hard to continue playing AFL.

I imagine trust the injury woes and multiple lengthy rehabs he's gone through has compounded things. He was probably thinking that this year he will finally get a chance.
Failure into shame and guilt. That’s a hell of a recipe for a downward spiral.

hawkdork83 is it truly such a mental stretch to find someone's actions reprehensible but also not want them to kill themselves over it? That's the basic gist of my commentary across this thread. I don't want Jon Patton at the Hawthorn Football Club any more but I also don't think he is beyond all redemption as a human being so I hope he can right himself mentally and learn to be more respectful of his fellow humans in future. It's really not that hard a concept.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
I would say a majority of the population has suffered from anxiety and depression at one point in time or more. Often, this is a result of negative things happening in ones life. Losing a family member, being made redundant, lockdown etc. It also often happens when people's actions are regrettable.

I doubt Jon suffers from bi-polar or clinical depression otherwise I think it would be hard to continue playing AFL.

i gotta say that as someone who suffers from a mental health issue and knows others that do, this is very dismissive, ignorant and would probably be insulting to someone that gave more of a s**t than me

That's absolute crap and shows you have a massive misunderstanding of both bipolar disorder and clinical depression.

So you’re argument is that “most people experience periods of poor mental health at diffferent times in their life....but Jon Patton can’t have before now because I’ve decided as much from observing from afar.”

Just stop.

hawkdork83

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Look, if Patton has a history of Mental Health issues, and if he is not facing criminal charges, then the Club is in no position to terminate his contract. You can't have it both ways.

Anyhow, apologies to those I've offended. I maintain, too many people here are excusing and victimising Jon. I'm coming from the angle, it's sad for Jon and let's hope he gets well... but his actions need to be at the forefront of the conversation.

Many in here continually make this conversation primarily about Jon's mental health.

Look, if Patton has a history of Mental Health issues, and if he is not facing criminal charges, then the Club is in no position to terminate his contract. You can't have it both ways.

Anyhow, apologies to those I've offended. I maintain, too many people here are excusing and victimising Jon. I'm coming from the angle, it's sad for Jon and let's hope he gets well... but his actions need to be at the forefront of the conversation.

Many in here continually make this conversation primarily about Jon's mental health.

Go West need to rewrite their famous song to 'King of Sweeping Statements' in your honour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back