Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkdork83

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Go West need to rewrite their famous song to 'King of Sweeping Statements' in your honour.

Look mate, I put forward opinions on a forum. You have many great comments in this forum, but too much you try and attack a poster. That's your way. Consistent way.

My guess is that you actually dislike that about yourself. Sweeping statement and all.

Look, if Patton has a history of Mental Health issues, and if he is not facing criminal charges, then the Club is in no position to terminate his contract. You can't have it both ways.

Anyhow, apologies to those I've offended. I maintain, too many people here are excusing and victimising Jon. I'm coming from the angle, it's sad for Jon and let's hope he gets well... but his actions need to be at the forefront of the conversation.

Many in here continually make this conversation primarily about Jon's mental health.
If you're truely sorry for those you may be offended, perhaps maybe now's the time to back off for a bit? I'm getting more worked up the more I read of this tripe (perhaps I should take my own advice here as well!).

Look mate, I put forward opinions on a forum. You have many great comments in this forum, but too much you try and attack a poster. That's your way. Consistent way.

My guess is that you actually dislike that about yourself. Sweeping statement and all.

I don't like people diminishing or stating utter mistruths about mental illness. I won't sit idly by and watch people do it on a forum either. Opinions are fine - but your 'opinions' about mental health the last page or so are in contravention of actual facts and are insulting to those who have been impacted by, or know people impacted by mental illness. As much as you're entitled to post your views here, I am entitled to say I think they are based on falsehoods and old misconceptions of mental illness.

And there's plenty I don't like about myself - but calling this stuff out isn't one of them.

I get and agree Jon has mental health issues, as a result of his actions.

I can be empathetic and I don't wish it upon anyone to get to a point to potentially not see a way out, but this is not a person that has battled Mental Health their entire life, as many in our community do, this is an entitled individual that because of his actions has recognised his career has come to an end. At present, Jon isn't able or willing to accept the responsibility for his actions.
Thanks Doc, but maybe keep his medical history in house for now?

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Timing of what, seeking treatment?

He's likely had it all along, and it's not a surprise that an event like this would trigger him to seek treatment.

Not a surprise, or convenient thing at all

Correct if these stories never broke and no one found out about them in media or club circles I'm confidently saying Patton would currently be training and not seeking help for mental health.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
It has been used before, but I'd say it's the exception not the rule. It's probably also the case that one thing has caused the other and that the sh*t storm around his actions has impacted him mentally - ultimately it's his own fault, but almost everyone deserves a shot at rehabilitation.

Apart from Elijah Taylor according to this board.

Correct if these stories never broke and no one found out about them in media or club circles I'm confidently saying Patton would currently be training and not seeking help for mental health.
What has that got to do with anything mate. Its triggers in peoples lives that make them suicidal. Some have several triggers but others are fine till something happens in their life.

Apart from Elijah Taylor according to this board.
Elijah Taylor can rehabilitate no problems you were referring to him being picked up by us? I think Patton is done with Hawthorn but he still deserves a second chance to rehabilitate. The issues are not the same

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
What has that got to do with anything mate. Its triggers in peoples lives that make them suicidal. Some have several triggers but others are fine till something happens in their life.

Just timing of it being convenient when his contract could be in a grave position of potentially being terminated.

Anyways I suppose it's all speculation isn't it, you and others will have your opinions and I'll have mine, truth is none of us know for sure.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Elijah Taylor can rehabilitate no problems you were referring to him being picked up by us? I think Patton is done with Hawthorn but he still deserves a second chance to rehabilitate. The issues are not the same

In a respect they're rather similar, a complete disrespect as to how you should go about treating females.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you're saying that if the national spotlight being on him never happened then he wouldn't be seeking treatment? Yeah, most likely. Doesn't mean he doesn't have mental health issues. Significant events trigger people to deal with issues, likely what's happened here.

I'm sure he would have lived with this for a bit longer had it not been reported. Until the day it was, then that triggers a chain of events. All warranted.

This is a poor take HR.

His whole life has essentially crashing down. Everyone he knows, including his family, are aware of what he's done. All the hard work he had put into his rehabbing may have been for naught in the end, and I am guessing before this all happened he was thinking that this will finally be my year.

I’m torn on this. While I agree to an extent, it’s also entirely self inflicted. For example, if he had have been drinking and driving and hit someone, would our reactions have been different? I know that’s a long bow to draw, but just think it’s worth exploring where our sympathy starts and ends.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I’m torn on this. While I agree to an extent, it’s also entirely self inflicted. For example, if he had have been drinking and driving and hit someone, would our reactions have been different? I know that’s a long bow to draw, but just think it’s worth exploring where our sympathy starts and ends.

Yeah it is self-inflicted and I have very little sympathy for him.

He's done some poor things, and he'll need to deal with the consequences for it, whatever they are.

Sympathise with a young man dealing with mental illness and hope he gets the support he needs, gets his life back on track

In a respect they're rather similar, a complete disrespect as to how you should go about treating females.

Not really. Like T4P said, in both cases you'd rather not have that person play for your footy club. For Elijah, rehabilitation doesn't mean giving him another high profile, well paid job.

My bad. Sorry, Jon is a victim here. I forgot.
Wow. Are you sure you know what you are typing or are you just in the dark hoping something sensible will come out of your keyboard? You're embarrassing yourself. As has been pointed out - rather politely by everyone else - (for some inexplicable reason people are still trying to reason with you) NO ONE IS SAYING THAT.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I get and agree Jon has mental health issues, as a result of his actions.

I can be empathetic and I don't wish it upon anyone to get to a point to potentially not see a way out, but this is not a person that has battled Mental Health their entire life, as many in our community do, this is an entitled individual that because of his actions has recognised his career has come to an end. At present, Jon isn't able or willing to accept the responsibility for his actions.
Possibly but I think it will emerge that his mental health issues were pre-existing and this is an escalation of sorts. Not simply a consequence. His behaviour prior to being outed is not normal.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just timing of it being convenient when his contract could be in a grave position of potentially being terminated.

Anyways I suppose it's all speculation isn't it, you and others will have your opinions and I'll have mine, truth is none of us know for sure.
We know for sure that hospitals don’t just house people for a month to protect their contract with their employer.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Possibly but I think it will emerge that his mental health issues were pre-existing and this is an escalation of sorts. Not simply a consequence. His behaviour prior to being outed is not normal.

Good point Bris. Anyone who saw him on the bench inconsolable in tears after doing a small soft tissue during a match last last year, must surely acknowledge that his mental health issues were pre-existing. Have never seen anything like that, even for blokes doing hammies the week before a GF.

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Staying away from that girl is a good start. Brings out the worst in that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back