Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Josh Bennetts. catB rookie

Sep 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Some comments I got about Josh from someone who knows him very well

Great kid, played with Lysterfield as well as Eastern Ranges...won the U17 EFNL Premier comp B&F last season, and Eastern Ranges B&F this season...

Great family, mum is Indonesian (I think???) which is why he qualified for NGA...
Played high forward/mid for Eastern this year...very clean hands, good mark, nice disposal...

Managed by Maxy Kleiman, they had been angling for a Category B Rookie for a number of months...he's been training with Box Hill a bit this year...and did a couple of weeks at Hawthorn...

He's come on heaps in the last two seasons, but has been involved in the NGA for I reckon the last three years

Height will be his biggest challenge

Not elite speed, but not slow...good lateral movement

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I'm expecting him to be deployed as a full time small forward, at least to begin his career.

Was stoked to finally see some highlights of the young fella.

I look forward to seeing how both he and O'Sullivan develop next year (likely at Box Hill to start).

Both look like clean, smart and evasive players.

More likely that he's a slow burn compared to others we've just added onto the list but his U18 year was pretty impressive, so hopefully he really comes on in the AFL system.

WireHawk

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
The Black Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Very pleased with the way Josh played against Geelong and now reading Houdini Huddo's report
for Box Hill's game against Collingwood it seems that Josh has got something to offer. He looks
to be a very good pick-up. Also I like his picture profile(looks like my Godson)!

Early days I know, but I think we might have a good player here.

Last edited:

Pinoy Hawk

All Australian
Aug 21, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Josh Bennetts (1 goal, 13 disposals, 5 marks)

"Josh had a solid game and I really liked what he was able to provide with the ball in hand, his ability to use it really well and be composed was impressive. I think he had three score assists, and hit the scoreboard himself as a high half forward, which was great to see. He's building his ability in starting to understand how we want to play and how he fits within that model and that style, he's starting to really find his feet. It was really exciting to see Josh get some reward for his effort, he's working hard and trying to get better every day."

VFL - Round 3

14 disposals - 5 marks - 3 tackles - 1 goal

He’s showed some good signs today. The only problem is that he’s competing against Brockman and Butler for the other spots as a small forward. I think he might have to wait a while before he’s in the senior team, but he does have some potential.

Pinoy Hawk

All Australian
Aug 21, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Starting to consistently impress.
Even though he is below other small forwards like Butler, Brocky and JOS, I am crossing my fingers that he'll get his debut this season.
I am just not 100% sure if CAT B rookies can play.

Josh Bennetts (1 goal, 13 disposals)

"One of the things that stands out with Josh is his cleanliness and also his ability to keep his feet in the contest. On a day like that, where you’ve got a little excuse potentially if you went to ground, but he didn’t. He showed an ability to keep his feet and was strong over the ball, but then his cleanliness and trying to develop to be a 'one touch' player and not leave any opportunity out there is what he's working really hard on at the moment and he’s doing a really good job. His ability to hit the scoreboard and half and win contests is really impressive. He’s got to keep being consistent in this space now while he's got some bigger forwards up there to work off, he’s really relishing that opportunity. He’s doing a great job in that space."

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
Even though he is below other small forwards like Butler, Brocky and JOS, I am crossing my fingers that he'll get his debut this season.

"One of the things that stands out with Josh is his cleanliness and also his ability to keep his feet in the contest. On a day like that, where you’ve got a little excuse potentially if you went to ground, but he didn’t. He showed an ability to keep his feet and was strong over the ball, but then his cleanliness and trying to develop to be a 'one touch' player and not leave any opportunity out there is what he's working really hard on at the moment and he’s doing a really good job. His ability to hit the scoreboard and half and win contests is really impressive. He’s got to keep being consistent in this space now while he's got some bigger forwards up there to work off, he’s really relishing that opportunity. He’s doing a great job in that space."

Does he play like Poppy did.

Aug 23, 2009
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We actually have a decent mosquito fleet developing at Box Hill which is very exciting, these guys could help transform the way we play next year

PAOKTSIS

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne United, KC Chiefs
There’s just ‘something’ about Josh.

He is clean with his disposal and a 1-touch player. At the very least he will always provide a contest when near the ball.

I’ve been super impressed with all the games I’ve watched him play this season - and I have a good feeling he’ll make it.

Our midfield, small forwards and HBF’s are really looking good. We just need to nail a few KPP’s and confirm our ruck duo (Lynch is playing some solid footy) and we’ll be all set.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The most impressive thing is that pretty much all our forwards got their hands on the ball in the wet. They were tough conditions and that second qtr was something else against a lot of bigger bodies of the Collingwood players

Birdland

Draftee
Apr 17, 2023
AFL Club
Richmond

Cat B's can't play, need to be elevated with a long term injury or the like. Cat B's get paid outside the salary cap so the club will keep them on that deal as long as possible. He would have to be playing outstanding footy for a contract upgrade to be triggered. (like a CJ)

Back