Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Josh Morris

Remove this Banner Ad

Dimma is 182cm. He plays taller which is nice and is strong tough and a super smart player with good skills and composed head. However Morris releases everyone he makes our backline work better because he’s so versatile.

He works quick small forwards, he’s strong enough and big enough for the De Goey types too (he’ll only get bigger muscle wise) and then he’s good above his head with a good leap, he’s quick and strong/tough. With the footy he’s classy, composed and skilful.

He’s a two way defender if you wanna put it that way.
Massive call there, Dom. Suggesting he has the size/power to go with De Goey is probs a bit silly.

I'm keen to see him line up on one of the 6-or-so small forwards (mostly bloody cheapies through their academy!) that Sydney have. Body-wise, he should be about that mark. Would've been good to see him against Squibman from Footscray, but alas...

Glad he got rewarded for 12 months of solid form at BHH by getting a chance at AFL.....and he took it with both hands. Thought he was great.

Is not in our bottom 10, has room for growth and should be aiming for a consistent year in 2023 so when there are inevitable injuries then he can slot in and make it hard to get pushed out.

He’s nuggety and capable and I love the bloke, just not sure what he brings to a team aspiring for a premiership.
A little on the short side to be brutally frank.
It’s a brutal game this modern caper but that’s just my thoughts. As I say I do love his spirit and am sure/hope he will prove me wrong.
Taylor Duryea is 5cm shorter than Josh and he went okay in 2014/15

Massive call there, Dom. Suggesting he has the size/power to go with De Goey is probs a bit silly.

I'm keen to see him line up on one of the 6-or-so small forwards (mostly bloody cheapies through their academy!) that Sydney have. Body-wise, he should be about that mark. Would've been good to see him against Squibman from Footscray, but alas...
He hasn’t got the same power and size in a sense that he’d beat him or even match it often in a one on one, there’s not many who can. His own teammate Brayden Maynard would be the only dream matchup I can think of. However Morris has the height and pace and is tough so he won’t give up, he’s strong (not that strong) but that’ll only grow the more he plays and the more pre seasons. Still young.

Sam loves him
Sam is a loving person 😁

In all seriousness, I have been hugely impressed by Sam’s footy and people management skills, getting the best out of players focusing on the positives and strengths.

This was evident at Box Hill last year, but really impressed by how he has stepped up to the AFL head coaching role with aplomb.

He hasn’t got the same power and size in a sense that he’d beat him or even match it often in a one on one, there’s not many who can. His own teammate Brayden Maynard would be the only dream matchup I can think of. However Morris has the height and pace and is tough so he won’t give up, he’s strong (not that strong) but that’ll only grow the more he plays and the more pre seasons. Still young.
Probs not "strong enough & big enough for the De Goey types then"?

From our list, Frost is your match-up for those type of players - but then there'd be times when he doesn't have the smarts/craft for those types. That's why they're as damaging / valuable as they are - they're bloody hard to match up on.

I'd love to see Morris defend Brockman & Butler in intra-club pre-season 2023 matches, all things going as hoped.

Probs not "strong enough & big enough for the De Goey types then"?

From our list, Frost is your match-up for those type of players - but then there'd be times when he doesn't have the smarts/craft for those types. That's why they're as damaging / valuable as they are - they're bloody hard to match up on.

I'd love to see Morris defend Brockman & Butler in intra-club pre-season 2023 matches, all things going as hoped.
Well for example. MJ vs LeBron. He isn’t as strong body mass wise, but he’s tough wouldn’t give up and he’d probably match it with him in a sense, that’s my point but that Morris is a fair bit quicker so leads aren’t as much of an issue and he’s tall and good in the air.

Morris is one who will eventually take De Goey types, Dimma is the go to atm as well as Frost whenever he plays.

He’s nuggety and capable and I love the bloke, just not sure what he brings to a team aspiring for a premiership.
A little on the short side to be brutally frank.
It’s a brutal game this modern caper but that’s just my thoughts. As I say I do love his spirit and am sure/hope he will prove me wrong.
I'm not sure you've seen how good his kicking is. It impressed me every time I saw him spearing a pass through the centre square or to a leading forward in the VFL.

2019 draft is starting to look like another hit in our rebuild for our next flag

Day
Maginness
Morris

And Jeka in the Rookie draft if he can come on at CHB in his new role will round this draft out nicely but if he doesn’t it’s good anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back