Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Josh Morris

Remove this Banner Ad

How far off is he from getting a game? We desperately need more small/medium forwards putting their hand up for selection.

I think Jeka is the only player who’s had more scoring shots in the four VFL practice games.
Hasn’t been doing enough at ground level but has been good in the air according to reports I have read. I felt his fitness was a long way off last year. But looks to have talent.

Our 3 leading goal kickers are Moore (7) Brockman (6) and Breust (5)....
Why the rush to drop them??

Yes, Moore is going well and while Brockman hasn't had a lot of it in the past 2 games you can tell he has a bit of class about him and we don't have much of that at the minute, I'd keep him in for the time being.

Hasn’t been doing enough at ground level but has been good in the air according to reports I have read. I felt his fitness was a long way off last year. But looks to have talent.
Yes from reports it sounds like he’s missing a few dimensions to his game. Great at leading and marking. I also felt that some of his tackling was terrific last year, especially in his debut.

Yes, Moore is going well and while Brockman hasn't had a lot of it in the past 2 games you can tell he has a bit of class about him and we don't have much of that at the minute, I'd keep him in for the time being.
Moore has been sensational. I saw the look on Brockman’s face as he took that mark going back with the flight yesterday. What a fantastic example he his with his courage and work-rate.

Think Nash may be ahead of him in the pecking order but still think we’ll see him by mid season as brockman needs a rest and wingard and Breust are spending more time in the middle.

One thing we are lacking at present is defensive pressure in our forward 50 - don’t think Moore (lack of pace) or brockman (workrate) are good at this. Morris and Nash would improve this a fair bit when they get their chance.

So what did people make of Tank Morris last night ?
Good sign of things to come but clearly overawed by the level.
I think he's benefiting from being the the VFL a lot- as are a lot of our younger player. They can (hopefully) continue to develop a winning culture and when they have that they can come into the seniors en masse.
I genuinely reckon he'll be a solid player for us in a year or two but right now he's just not at the level.
Either leave him in and see what he does when he has some consistent exposure at the level, or leave him out intil the last couple rounds where we hopefully play as many kids as possible.

So what did people make of Tank Morris last night ?
Effort/endeavour was there.

Clearly isn't ready to contribute to this team (as we are) so may as well let him learn to play the right way at BHH. Playing AFL in this team will just be confusing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was on a hiding to nothing playing as a small forward in a forward line that all converge to the same area and are weak in the air, on the ground and in forward defense. Essentially playing to the opposition's strengths. A second gamer isn't going to make much of an difference in that situation.

Would be better suited as a half forward flanker... but Clarko doesn't play with a HF line.

Give the kid a block of games. Show some faith. I'll be annoyed if he gets dropped.

He earnt his call up, which is a point of conjecture with other young players, now let the kid have a run at it in a 'rebuilding' team. Make a call if he is ready or not after four or five games. Not one.

Probably a sign of how weak and talent diluted the vfl comp currently is .
I like that he is one of very few players who actually has intent to tackle but he isn't quick enough or has improved his ability to win enough possessions to stay in the game for 4 quarters, I'd persist for another year because we have already put 3 years into him but atm he shows why he was a late pick and probably even a reach at the pick.

Probably a sign of how weak and talent diluted the vfl comp currently is .
I like that he is one of very few players who actually has intent to tackle but he isn't quick enough or has improved his ability to win enough possessions to stay in the game for 4 quarters, I'd persist for another year because we have already put 3 years into him but atm he shows why he was a late pick and probably even a reach at the pick.
Last year was his first on the list...so that would be 18 months and no doubt Covid was not good for his or anyone else’s development.

I feel as though he was trying too hard to make an impression. First game nerves and being thrown into the deep end with the last minute rearrangement of the game wouldn't have helped him settle those nerves. In hindsight would have been perhaps better to hold over his debut until after the bye so that the club could have told him behind closed doors early in the week whether he would get a second game the next weekend or not.

I liked his chasing. In the first quarter when everyone was horrid he had one effort in the defensive 50 where he attempted a tackle, got back up and immediately pressured the next kicker into an out on the full kick. Didn't register a single stat for that but it showed he has been working hard on the defensive side of his game.

However, even when acknowledging he was playing in a dead position, 3 disposals (2 ineffective) isn't enough to justify his selection. I'm encouraged by his change of mindset but in his senior performances both last year and this year he hasn't acquitted himself well. Perhaps the solution to that is an extended run in the senior team so he feels more comfortable? I'm not sure.

Give the kid a block of games. Show some faith. I'll be annoyed if he gets dropped.

He earnt his call up, which is a point of conjecture with other young players, now let the kid have a run at it in a 'rebuilding' team. Make a call if he is ready or not after four or five games. Not one.
Yep. Playing his first game of year in a disjointed lead up as a deep pressure forward in a team that was well beaten. He worked hard but couldn’t find the ball. Give him some games to settle to the level and his teammates and see what happens. His defensive workrate and effort appeared great - probably up there with best of team. We’re crying out for defensive pressure across the park. Very different player than brockman who’s offensive flash but not consistent on work.

I liked his few efforts; I don't mind not having much of the ball if the 1-percenters are good

There was one moment when a loose ball spilled out of a centre bounce(?) and between a few GC players, the only Hawk crashing through wanting the ball was Morris. Thought that showed his character perfectly

Not ready just yet, but there is something to work with going forward

I feel as though he was trying too hard to make an impression. First game nerves and being thrown into the deep end with the last minute rearrangement of the game wouldn't have helped him settle those nerves. In hindsight would have been perhaps better to hold over his debut until after the bye so that the club could have told him behind closed doors early in the week whether he would get a second game the next weekend or not.
It wasn’t his debut though, dix.

Hope he gets another few games. He and Brockman should be playing out the season - or at the very least one of them should be in the team at all times.

This.

Let Morris make that half forward spot his own. Same with Brockman for a spot as the small forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back