Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

‘His handball under pressure in q1 in defensive goal square. Prolly should have conceded a behind but it was special
Yep that was one of the iffy decisions he made and in the same chain tried the switch kick...boils down to experience and easily fixed. Very happy with his progress.

Seems to be slow and fumbles a lot.
he does get caught a bit but his awareness will improve as he plays more games

still going to end up with 20+ touches at 80% DE. Very happy with his output, just needs to clean up his disposal and decision making under pressure like any other 20 year old

He's doing well to find the ball. That's always the hardest part.

Will get better with experience. It's a testament to his ability that he is copping some heat for the little things so early on in his career.

A lot of strong language being used about a kid playing his second season in a new role in a team under fire.
Has struggled at times, but that's to be expected given where we're at.

He's not the only one strugling today. Instead of awareness I think it's a lack of communication within the teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was decent in the first half but the amount of times he gets run down and lacks awareness concerns me a little.

I was actually thinking at some point in the second term how far he has came since Easter Monday last year because he looked a fair bit off it at this stage last year imo. So he kind of has composure but it's not the first game where he's been slow to react with things.

He'll continue to improve though.

His run from contest to contest and general play gets him to spots where he will get plenty of it …….. just needs time to develop and get use to the speed of the game at the highest level. A few times he got the ball but didn’t adjust his tempo to dispose of the footy more quickly.

Tracking well for a second year player. Hopefully spatial awareness and ball use improves with time but he’s becoming a consistent ball winner and he runs both ways

Has anyone stopped to think that the reason why some of our players run themselves into trouble is because they are trying to work out exactly where to deliver the ball to a forward line that is makeshift at best?

I've gone from not being worried about him being blue chip to being slightly worried. His numbers are terrific and he is playing more in the back half which I assume he hasn't done before.

But not comfortable yet when he has the pill. But he did go from shaky to very reliable across the course of last season so he looks like a confidence player and suspect we will see this again given he is so early in his career.

Has anyone stop to think that the reason why some of our players run themselves into trouble is because they are trying to work out exactly where to deliver the ball to a forward line that is makeshift at best?
One of his rundowns Brocky gave him a handball he should never have given.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back