Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he could be a good inside player. But at the moment I think he plays too much like an outside player. I don't know if that is just him or if it's because he is usually positioned on the wing. But I feel like he is hanging outside stoppages even in the moments he is supposed to be playing on ball, or in moments where he could get into the contest more.
Watch the first centre bounce Sat night. Almost as soon as the ball was bounced Ward leaves Anderson at the back of the stoppage and was caught ball watching. Ball spills out to the man he left, bam instant clearance.
To be fair this has been a problem at multiple centre bounces this year not just with him, and it's super frustrating because to me it seems obvious to fix. Our mids aren't defensively minded and it's why we give up clearances that go to 15m outside the goal line.
I am big on Wardy, I reckon he's quality and will be a 250+ gamer/top line mid. That being said, I'm not sure I agree with those that say he's a better on baller right now. Still needs to develop that aspect and until he does I'm comfortable with him playing more outside.
This is what I tried to explain a couple of days ago (albeit very poorly) Just doesn’t come across as a natural ball hunter. There is no doubting his high skill level and terrific attitude. I just don’t see him as an in and under midfielder

What really annoys me about dropping Ward is he goes to the vfl plays a full game as a pure mid, dominates then goes back to the afl and plays wing again which isn't the position he is suited for. If you are going to play him wing in Afl, also play him as a wingmen in the vfl!!!
Yeah it is really annoying. Used to happen with Nash when Clarko was coaching... Id like to know what roll Butler played for box hill a couple weeks back compared with how he played last weekend... Didnt look anywhere near it last week..

What really annoys me about dropping Ward is he goes to the vfl plays a full game as a pure mid, dominates then goes back to the afl and plays wing again which isn't the position he is suited for. If you are going to play him wing in Afl, also play him as a wingmen in the vfl!!!
It's almost like continuing to play Nash forward instead of on the ball.......

Yeah it is really annoying. Used to happen with Nash when Clarko was coaching... Id like to know what roll Butler played for box hill a couple weeks back compared with how he played last weekend... Didnt look anywhere near it last week..

Same role. The issue is that our midfield are not getting it forward in the seniors.

Ward's problem is he simply isn't better (yet) than our top-line centre setup. Unfortunately while those blokes have been out of form, so has he. If he goes back to the VFL and dominates in the middle while some of our "premier" mids continue to put in stinkers, I reckon he can come back into the AFL side with much more inside mid minutes

Ward's problem is he simply isn't better (yet) than our top-line centre setup. Unfortunately while those blokes have been out of form, so has he. If he goes back to the VFL and dominates in the middle while some of our "premier" mids continue to put in stinkers, I reckon he can come back into the AFL side with much more inside mid minutes
He’s been getting a few centre bounce attendances outside of the Geelong game.

Just needs to take the opportunity in there and he will get more of a go.

It’s the big problem with us this year, it’s that almost no one is putting their hand up and demanding selection or a bigger role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back