Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully that has changed with Clarksons departure.
Why do you hope that?

I feel like it's a good policy that rewards the players who perform regardless of where they were drafted and helps avoid creating a culture of hero worship of draftees who've yet to even play a game.

I'm not saying if we scrap that policy that things will take a turn. Only that it sounds like a reasonable policy that appears to have worked well for the club and to hope it changes seems to suggest you think it's a poor policy.

Why do you hope that?

I feel like it's a good policy that rewards the players who perform regardless of where they were drafted and helps avoid creating a culture of hero worship of draftees who've yet to even play a game.

I'm not saying if we scrap that policy that things will take a turn. Only that it sounds like a reasonable policy that appears to have worked well for the club and to hope it changes seems to suggest you think it's a poor policy.

No better time to change things than now. New coach, new stars, soon to be new president, soon to be a new home base, potential new home game deal with Tasmania likely to soon be resigned to the history books. We have high draft picks worth being excited about for arguably the first time in 15 years.

Why not present our fanbase (especially our young supporters) with the ability to say 'This Josh Ward kid could be out next captain, I want his number on my back now!?' Any parent would be making that kid wait 12 months if we continue with the status quo. But why? What is it really achieving? If we are embracing this new era then lets really create some excitement over something as simple as a guernsey number. God knows we should be creating as much excitement as possible after 2 Covid affected years.

While we are at it, bring these back.

Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 6.24.52 pm.png

Did he ever come out and clarify his reasoning behind not allowing long sleeve guernsey's?

He was asked about whether we had packed the long sleeves at a presser before a forecasted cold game down in Launceston and Clarko snidely laughed and said ‘we don’t do long sleeves at Hawthorn’. Pretty sure he saw it as weakness.

He was asked about whether we had packed the long sleeves at a presser before a forecasted cold game down in Launceston and Clarko snidely laughed and said ‘we don’t do long sleeves at Hawthorn’. Pretty sure he saw it as weakness.

It's quite an old-school mentality, isn't it?

'We don't show weakness at Hawthorn' - I don't have an issue with it, just curious if nothing else.

Bring back the long sleeves and powerade showers. It's looked so awkward when we have a 1st gamer in the middle singing the song with no one getting around him .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah. He just didn't like them. So he banned em very early on.

Fair play, that does sound like a Clarko thing to do. I remember reading about one of his first seasons in charge and they planned an 'Amazing Race' challenge down in Tassie as part of a pre-season thing - two teams were pretty badly behind so just called it quits and just went back to camp. When Clarko found out he was so incensed that he flew home the next day.

No better time to change things than now. New coach, new stars, soon to be new president, soon to be a new home base, potential new home game deal with Tasmania likely to soon be resigned to the history books. We have high draft picks worth being excited about for arguably the first time in 15 years.

Why not present our fanbase (especially our young supporters) with the ability to say 'This Josh Ward kid could be out next captain, I want his number on my back now!?' Any parent would be making that kid wait 12 months if we continue with the status quo. But why? What is it really achieving? If we are embracing this new era then lets really create some excitement over something as simple as a guernsey number. God knows we should be creating as much excitement as possible after 2 Covid affected years.

While we are at it, bring these back.

View attachment 1291164

Yeh, i think the throwback look is sexy. Just make em tight fitting please, loosy goosy under the triceps makes me think of my granny.

I got a 2013 long sleeve guernsey as part of my getting all new clobber to desperately find something lucky to break the Curse.
Did the trick mind and wore it through the threepeat seasons

I made the choice to wear the same attire from the 2013 grand final in 2014 and 2015 also. Problem was it was attire that works perfectly on a cool spring day - was a bit stifling wearing that in 2015 when exposed to the sun all afternoon.

I made the choice to wear the same attire from the 2013 grand final in 2014 and 2015 also. Problem was it was attire that works perfectly on a cool spring day - was a bit stifling wearing that in 2015 when exposed to the sun all afternoon.
I reckon there's 22 West Coast Eagles players that agree with you on that point! 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back