Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Crawf Brendan Edwards pioneered gut running in the AFL, however Crawf was one of my favourite players of all time, I miss his 40m handballs
Fixed the inaccuracy.

Fair enough, but he invented gut running for the sport.
What a man:

“During the 1959 season, Edwards convinced Hawthorn coach Jack Hale to adopt circuit training for the entire team. Edwards won the Hawthorn best and fairest award in 1960 and represented Victoria at interstate football in the same season. After he seriously injured his knee during a game in 1963, he retired as a player and he founded a chain of health clubs in Melbourne and pioneered the concept of aerobic fitness in Australia”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already has a bit of Robert Harvey about him with the burst away from congestion, followed by those 25m-30m dab kicks to a marking target. That's brilliant for breaking lines & creating overlap run - clearly something we've not had around the stoppage for a while & is a desperate need.

How's his condition - looks like a mature body already, would not be surprised to see an early start at all.

Also, that grab then pivot, leaving the two opposition players careening in the opposite direction... is ******* heavenly. Cyril-esque

How's his condition - looks like a mature body already, would not be surprised to see an early start at all.

Also, that grab then pivot, leaving the two opposition players careening in the opposite direction... is ******* heavenly. Cyril-esque

I really hope Sam's approach is to blood the youngsters to aid our transition. Makes little sense to me to play the same mob as this year and end up winning a few extra games. Hopefully guys like Ward, Butler and MacDonald, as well as Jai, Finn, Morris, Saunders, Jeka, Seamus, Downie... etc all get games.

I really hope Sam's approach is to blood the youngsters to aid our transition. Makes little sense to me to play the same mob as this year and end up winning a few extra games. Hopefully guys like Ward, Butler and MacDonald, as well as Jai, Finn, Morris, Saunders, Jeka, Seamus, Downie... etc all get games.
I'm getting more excited every time I hear about young Ward. Saw plenty of vision and heard the constant comparisons to Zach Merrett which I got by the highlights but there seems to be a lot more to him... His physical development is at another level to most kids, he's blitzing it in the time trials, and he seems to be as driven as they come. That combined with the passion he already has for the club and I'm getting a sense he might be right up there in terms of this draft class... If we get a Sam Walsh caliber inside / outside mid we have hit a home run on this selection....

The kid is an absolute beast on foot. Was powering home on the final lap of the time trial.

After watching him today, I'm excited about how 'ready made' he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back