Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Crawf pioneered gut running in the AFL, one of my favourite players of all time, I miss his 40m handballs
I was only young when he was at his peak but he will always be one of my favourite players, loved the way he played.

Probably why i went on to love Cousins (on the field) and currently love Walsh. Watching those guys at the ground is just crazy.

Hopefully Ward can get to a similar level.

I was only young when he was at his peak but he will always be one of my favourite players, loved the way he played.

Probably why i went on to love Cousins (on the field) and currently love Walsh. Watching those guys at the ground is just crazy.

Hopefully Ward can get to a similar level.

100%. I love watching Ed Langdon play for Melbourne for the same reason.

I've been part of the fitness industry in the past and my favourite form of running is repeat efforts. Seeing blokes burn up and down the ground is inspiring and I find it far more entertaining than any 100m sprint final or Olympic marathon.

That would be a great outcome. Crawf one of the top gut runners in the history of the AFL, up there with Harvey, Cousins and Scully.

And more impactful than all three at his peak. Played that running game with controlled aggression, could worry an opponent with his physicality - no small feat given his size.

unlike Cousins, he didn’t need long rests on the bench to keep going the whole game either. Only when rotations took off did he sit on the pine in order to continue to have an impact.

And more impactful than all three at his peak. Played that running game with controlled aggression, could worry an opponent with his physicality - no small feat given his size.

unlike Cousins, he didn’t need long rests on the bench to keep going the whole game either. Only when rotations took off did he sit on the pine in order to continue to have an impact.
That was the great difference between Sculley and Crawf.

Both elite endurance runners but Crawf had a level of power and athletisicm that Sculley never possessed.

I even remember Crawf playing CHB on Hird one year and he matched him in the air and at the contest. That is something Sculley (or even Cousins or Harvey) couldn't have achieved.

That was the great difference between Sculley and Crawf.

Both elite endurance runners but Crawf had a level of power and athletisicm that Sculley never possessed.

I even remember Crawf playing CHB on Hird one year and he matched him in the air and at the contest. That is something Sculley (or even Cousins or Harvey) couldn't have achieved.

I think the post before may have undersold Cousins and Harvey a bit, but all three are clearly in a different tier to Scully who had all the run without ever having the accumulation or the impact.

I think the post before may have undersold Cousins and Harvey a bit, but all three are clearly in a different tier to Scully who had all the run without ever having the accumulation or the impact.
Yeh thats fair.

Cousins won a Brownlow and Harvey won two so they were no mugs!

But I still think Crawf had a greater versatility to his game due to his power and all round athletiscim than either Cousins or Harvey (not saying Crawf was a better player overall, just that he had the abilty to influence games in more ways than just his gut running)

Obviously all three of Cousins, Crawf and Harvey are on a completely different tier than Sculley (no one could argue that point)

Josh Ward adds his name (albeit under-aged) to the list of players from the 2017 School Sport Australia, Australian Football U15 All-Australian side.

Edit: Josh is 3rd from right in the front row.

View attachment 1287143

In addition to this, the following year's photo.

This time, Josh is in the 3rd row to the far right.

Source: Ben Hobbs' Instagram profile.

1638363059685.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping with a new coach in charge that we get new kids getting lower numbers and the return of long sleeves.

I don’t know why, but I can see Sicily, Day and Wingard all wearing the long sleeves if the club brings it back. 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back