Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Seems the opposite of what we need / where game is heading with mids with elite footy iq who are also athletic beasts + focus on impact not accumulation. We must think his footy iq is off charts.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Petracca is only a little bit taller at 186cm relative to most of our mids who are around the 181 to 185cm mark (apart from Nash of course who is 197cm)

What sets Petracca apart is the fact he is 97kgs which makes him crazy strong (especially around his core) and almost impossible to tackle.

You can see Worps and JOM sometimes try to break tackles with a don't argue but at 85kg (ish) they sometimes (often) dont have the power to do get away with it.

Mind you Petracca is an athletic freak that he can be 97kg and still cover the amount of ground he does, that's not easy to do!

Petracca was dunking as a chubby 17 year old. Absolute freak.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seems the opposite of what we need / where game is heading with mids with elite footy iq who are also athletic beasts + focus on impact not accumulation. We must think his footy iq is off charts.
A lot will depend on his running ability I think.

Sam Walsh is not a huge unit and not powerful like Petracca but when you watch him live you understand that his base jogging pace is the equivalent of most players running at 80% of their top speed. And he just never stops running.

If Ward can be like Walsh (Crawf and Cousins were also great exponents of absolute gut running in their day) he can make up for his lack of athleticism / power / size.

May 28, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn

A low risk, ready-to-go midfielder who is one of the very best and most complete players in this draft. His production and impact during the latter part of the NAB League campaign was up there with the play of Daicos.

Strengths:
Skills
Lowers his eyes and places kicks out in front of targets inside 50
Vision
Decision making under pressure
Composure
Go-to-guy around the ground
Contested ball winning
Inside/outside midfield balance
Works hard both ways
Endurance
Work rate
Run and carry with ball in hand
Agility
Acceleration
Rises to the big occasion
AFL ready-to-go game
Production
Consistency

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
A low risk, ready-to-go midfielder who is one of the very best and most complete players in this draft. His production and impact during the latter part of the NAB League campaign was up there with the play of Daicos.

Strengths:
Skills
Lowers his eyes and places kicks out in front of targets inside 50
Vision
Decision making under pressure
Composure
Go-to-guy around the ground
Contested ball winning
Inside/outside midfield balance
Works hard both ways
Endurance
Work rate
Run and carry with ball in hand
Agility
Acceleration
Rises to the big occasion
AFL ready-to-go game
Production
Consistency

He wasn’t my first choice initially - fluctuated between Callaghan, Rochelle and Sinn but always had faith in MM. Having watched him speak though, first thing that stood out is character - well spoken, articulate and confident. Very obvious leadership qualities and looks to be from a good Familly. Think we have just landed an absolute gun and future Captain ..

Pinoy Hawk

All Australian
Aug 21, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From Herald Sun- Maybe he is not really our first choice that night, but I'm happy he is now a Hawk.

Meanwhile, Ward had been given no assurances by the Hawks, who told the Northern Knights star that they would see how the draft played out.

He conceded he had “no idea” what was going to happen on the night.

“It’s been a stressful week, my name has been floating around that mark but you never really know until it happens,” Ward said after being drafted.

“Even just before they called my name out there was that pause and I had no idea what was going to happen. I thought they might have traded the pick or something so it’s been stressful but I’m thrilled to be going to the Hawks.

“I heard from them three times, and built a great relationship with (recruiting boss) Mark McKenzie, Nathan Foley and (coach) Sam Mitchell. They are all great people and I really enjoyed speaking to them but at the same time all the clubs are great and didn’t give me any idea of what was going to happen.

“I spoke with (Hawthorn in the lead-up) but they said themselves ‘we don’t know what is going to happen and we’ll make the decision on the night.’ I’m glad it turned out how it did.”

Ward said he will be a reliable asset for his teammates and the club.

“I think I’m just someone my teammates will be able to rely on week in, week out. Whether that’s playing round 1 which is obviously my aim, but in any team, any round, I think when I get that chance, I will put in the work and learn as much as I (can) over pre-season. I’ll be someone they can rely on to make the right decisions,” he said.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
I think some have the wrong idea about this kid

He isn’t ‘small’ and he isn’t lacking Athletically.

He is a solid size and has solid to good agility. They are by no means his strengths but they aren’t weaknesses

Elite tank, that can play inside and outside with good skills and a high footy IQ. That is never not going to be in vogue in the AFL

Last edited:

Pinoy Hawk

All Australian
Aug 21, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Has he been compared to Sam Walsh before?
He could be a Sam Walsh lite.

Hodginator

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Welcome to the greatest team in the land. Look forward to see how he comes along.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it really hard to watch highlight packages and work out who’s who? Not just for Ward, but any potential draftee highlight video. Especially when there’s no commentary. Never have any clue who I’m meant to be looking at. Is it the guy getting the clearance out, or the guy it’s hand-balled out to then breaks a tackle, or the guy he ends up kicking it to and taking a contested mark? Never have any clue.

Maybe it’s just me as I don’t really follow the juniors or take much notice. But would be good if the social media teams could work out how to do a spotlight effect on the respective players.

Despite being listed at 79kg he looks fairly solid. If his form warrants senior selection from early next year would he be ready to play
Welcome to the greatest team in the land. Look forward to see how he comes along.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it really hard to watch highlight packages and work out who’s who? Not just for Ward, but any potential draftee highlight video. Especially when there’s no commentary. Never have any clue who I’m meant to be looking at. Is it the guy getting the clearance out, or the guy it’s hand-balled out to then breaks a tackle, or the guy he ends up kicking it to and taking a contested mark? Never have any clue.

Maybe it’s just me as I don’t really follow the juniors or take much notice. But would be good if the social media teams could work out how to do a spotlight effect on the respective players.

I think when King was doing his assessment after picks that spotlight/highlight effect was being used. Absolutely agree that it makes it easier.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Josh Ward adds his name (albeit under-aged) to the list of players from the 2017 School Sport Australia, Australian Football U15 All-Australian side.

Edit: Josh is 3rd from right in the front row.

1637820680769.png

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

When they show anyone kicking a pass and you dont see the 'catch' its very suss

kenneje

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal

Mate you're 100% right!
The AFL need to approach some of those soccer fans that put together 'Welcome to Arsenal Highlights 21/22' videos on youtube with Euro trash EDM in the background.
They have like 10 sections per video all highlighting individual attributes with funky graphics etc...

I guess the issue is the amount of footage we have of these kids, but investing in some cameras and video editors for this exact purpose would go a long way to promoting interest in the draft.

Back