Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
EE7BF86E-297F-4949-91C6-BE90172BCE22.jpeg
345D2615-A5A1-441F-9963-25ACD2F26495.jpeg

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Seems the opposite of what we need / where game is heading with mids with elite footy iq who are also athletic beasts + focus on impact not accumulation. We must think his footy iq is off charts.
A few years ago I think Russell said that we at one point thought it was best to get in the players with athletic attributes but then worked out that it was harder to make them better footballers and was easier to get high footy IQ and make them athletic.

Lots of photos on Josh’s insta with him and Chesser playing junior footy together.
I think we might need to reunite Ned, Josh and Campbell in 2 years.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
He reminds me of John Hendrie and I hope he is at least as good.
Good luck Josh and welcome to the greatest football club in Australia

Like Ward, John Hendrie had an ancestor who played for the Hawks.

His paternal grandfather, Gil.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen

Sinn is supposedly 187cm, look at Ward next to him. I appreciate the fact he's standing slightly forward of Sinn will slightly accentuate Ward's height, but it looks like he's probably taller than the reported 183cm.

Gibcus looks exactly like a latter Day tiger, a mongrel!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like Ward, John Hendrie had an ancestor who played for the Hawks.

His paternal grandfather, Gil.
The Family club 🙌
I was unaware of Gil being his grand father and John bore his middle name. Thanks for the heads up 👍

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Sinn is supposedly 187cm, look at Ward next to him. I appreciate the fact he's standing slightly forward of Sinn will slightly accentuate Ward's height, but it looks like he's probably taller than the reported 183cm.

Angles. Sinn’s shoulders and hips both clearly higher than ward’s. So unless he has a gigantic head, I going with angles.

Jun 24, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With Ward, Serong and Butler sorted, do Long and MacDonald have any relo's who've played in the VFL/AFL?
MacDonald's a close friend of Sonsie and Jake Soligo,
Angles. Sinn’s shoulders and hips both clearly higher than ward’s. So unless he has a gigantic head, I going with angles.
Even with angles, if Rachele is 180 and Ward is a lot closer to 184 than 181.

Also the fact that 3cm is hardly noticeable unless you're looking at people up close that are standing flush beside each other

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil

Four Josh's in the top 12 is now the absolute most useless ******* stat of all time.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks

Perspective: he's in the foreground and the angle would make Sinn look smaller.

That said, 4cm is not a lot. Difference between barefoot shoes and a pair of Nikes maybe

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
A few years ago I think Russell said that we at one point thought it was best to get in the players with athletic attributes but then worked out that it was harder to make them better footballers and was easier to get high footy IQ and make them athletic.

Pretty sure we added a bit to the top end sprinting with Hodgey over the years, and turned Mitch, Jordan Lewis and other plodders into genuine endurance runners. More recently Dan Howe looked a different player after prepping for that job on the wing during the 2021 preseason.

Hard to add explosiveness to guys physical makeup though if they don't have the fast twitch muscle fibers.

Does anyone recall an average sprinter being transformed into a top line breakaway player at AFL level post draft? I definitely can't think of any.

Plenty of break away sprinters that couldn't be turned into footballers come to mind easily though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back