Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

If it was a legitimate award.
It's media voted, so it rarely goes to the right person
If you’re a top 10 pick then the hype train will attach itself to you, so Josh is a good chance if he puts in good performances.

2022 NAB Rising Star? - Surely they engraved it with Daicos in about July this year...

If by some unimaginable twist of fate, the only other place it would go is JHF - there's no more Rhys Palmer's these days.
It’s funny because Palmer may just be the perfect comparison for Daicos.

I'm on Josh for the Rising Star, because it's december and why not.
I put some money on it the other week. Ticks a lot of boxes...

- Top 10 pick (name is already on media radar)
- First year player (seemingly this has become a factor in recent years)
- Elite endurance and AFL ready body (should play early and often)
- Accumulator and can score (disposals and goals catch attention on the stat sheets)
- In a young team with new coach (will get centre square opportunities but won't need to carry. ie. Worpel 2019)

Not too much against him except...
- More workman than x-factor (less likely to be noticed or talked about in relation to more "exciting" prospects)
- Hawthorn (currently the media narrative is that we're not a team on the rise, so they'll be more reluctant to acknowledge if we have THE rising star in our ranks)
- He's not JHF (media are all prepared to start building his legend and it starts with the RS)

Crawfo

Debutant
Jan 7, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm absolutely sold on this kid's tank. He was 20m off it in race 1 and looks to have blown them away by race three. Smooth smooth runner and I just think back to watching Dylan Moore sprint up and down from a HFF last year and to realise this kid smoked a gut runner like Moore is ridiculous. I don't think he will see much VFL next year

This!
We've got a host of really strong runners at the club at the moment.
Phillips, Moore and Maginness were all really good middle distances runners before being drafted. Well sub 2min for the 800 in HS. I remember Philips dethroned Sidebottom in his 2nd week at the pies.

What's great is how this just compliments Ward's existing inside strengths. Exciting times!

Don't remember being as invested in the lists development since 2005.. followed by a few stressful years before we made it 🏆🏆🏆🏆

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
This!
We've got a host of really strong runners at the club at the moment.
Phillips, Moore and Maginness were all really good middle distances runners before being drafted. Well sub 2min for the 800 in HS. I remember Philips dethroned Sidebottom in his 2nd week at the pies.

What's great is how this just compliments Ward's existing inside strengths. Exciting times!

Don't remember being as invested in the lists development since 2005.. followed by a few stressful years before we made it 🏆🏆🏆🏆
Yep - it's a fasinating time to be a hawk supporter. After years of topping up and money-balling, we've now got a crop of guys (Moore, CJ, Day, DGB, Kosi, Lewis, Bramble, Newcombe) that have all showed really great glimpses. The only question is the rate and level of consistency they build.

Then there's all the guys we picked up this offseason and seeing what they can do. We've got a crop of 10 or so players that could all be anything (or nothing).

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
2022 NAB Rising Star? - Surely they engraved it with Daicos in about July this year...

If by some unimaginable twist of fate, the only other place it would go is JHF - there's no more Rhys Palmer's these days.
Ah yes that’s right. Palmer. Instead of Rioli. Hmm. Almost forgot

1641968680997.gif

All Hawk supporters would have to be pleased with Josh at training so far. I know we would have preferred to trade up to grab Callaghan but in hindsight I'm glad we didn't have the draft capital as we seem to have landed 4 likely types.

Incidentally Callaghan has not yet been sighted on the track, still being in the rehab group. Which is fine for the Giants as they have good midfield depth. It wouldn't be as good for us if we had sacrificed Ward and Butler + to get a a slow burn player, albeit potentially a star. We already have Day and DGB as first round draft picks who have had significant injury time in their short careers, and DGB still needs to build his tank. We were lucky that we drafted Bramble and Newcombe cheaply last year, with significant improvement also by Box Hillers Reeves/ Nash/ Koschitzke and Morris.

Sep 22, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Roys SFA
Get the feeling he's going to take a lot out of this one and will improve dramatically over the next couple of outings.

Thought he handled himself very well out there against Collingwood and his DE% will improve rapidly as he adjusts to the grade!
Agreed, and bear in mind most of these guys have largely missed on on their final (and most significant) year of development in amateurs due to COVID!

Back