Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure Ward was a regular goal kicker at U18 level. He certainly showed the ability a few times early in the season to find space and have shots at goal.
Yeah it’s not an ability he lacks, it’s just getting the confidence to be able to bring it to the level but also just learning naturally how the game moves.

He will be bloody good next year, cannot wait
He and his mate Macca are on good path. 2023 will step up. Both will arrive 2024.

This years Draft crop to settle 2023, 2024 step up, 2025 will arrive as we become competitive again.

So Newcombe, Nash, and Moore, in combination with Ward and McDonald plus this years Draft Mids will have us ready in 2025 to compete. Hopefully a FA or two.

Last edited:
He and his mate Macca are on good path. 2023 will step up. Both will arrive 2024.

This years Draft crop to settle 2023, 2024 step up, 2025 will arrive as we become competitive again.

So Newcombe, Nash, and Moore, in combination with Ward and McDonald plus this years Draft Mids will have us ready in 2025 to compete. Hopefully a FA or two.

Don't forget Reeves. He's a huge talent.

His tap work to advantage should give our mids a head start on most opposition in a few years.

Pretty sure Ward was a regular goal kicker at U18 level. He certainly showed the ability a few times early in the season to find space and have shots at goal.

Yeah he did. I think it's a matter of time before he brings that to his game at AFL level. The running power will allow him to get ahead and find that space.

What are we classifying as a regular goal kicker here though? I can't see Ward being the type of player who kicks more than 15 a season, which isn't an issue. He never really showed that much of an ability to get forward in the U18s. Even the kids who do show a really good ability going forward in the NAB Cup don't necessarily have it transfer to the AFL.

I largely agree with this, except I rank McDonald equal to or maybe even just slightly ahead of Ward at this point. I might be on my own here but that's how I see it, although Ward is closing the gap week by week.
I thought that probably 5-6 weeks ago but Ward’s back end of the season has been at a higher level. He’s really becoming a strong weekly contributor in the midfield. I have very high hopes for McDonald and wouldn’t discount him being as good or better than Ward long term but I think Ward has had the better season. Ward is one guy on the list I just have complete confidence will be a very good player. The question is just how good.

I thought that probably 5-6 weeks ago but Ward’s back end of the season has been at a higher level. He’s really becoming a strong weekly contributor in the midfield. I have very high hopes for McDonald and wouldn’t discount him being as good or better than Ward long term but I think Ward has had the better season. Ward is one guy on the list I just have complete confidence will be a very good player. The question is just how good.
If you have a top ten pick in the draft selecting a ball winning, super fit, ready to go midfielder (who also is as smart as a whip) is just the smart low risk decision IMOH.

Look at Daicos, Walsh, etc. These kids all hit the ground running (so to speak) and can contribute from day 1.

Probably the only query of these types of picks of recent drafts is Rowell. Not sure what happened there?

Would love another Ward type in this year's draft, hopefully a 6 foot 3 mid with great contested ball winning ability.

If you have a top ten pick in the draft selecting a ball winning, super fit, ready to go midfielder (who also is as smart as a whip) is just the smart low risk decision IMOH.

Look at Daicos, Walsh, etc. These kids all hit the ground running (so to speak) and can contribute from day 1.

Probably the only query of these types of picks of recent drafts is Rowell. Not sure what happened there?

Would love another Ward type in this year's draft, hopefully a 6 foot 3 mid with great contested ball winning ability.
Rowell’s stagnation is likely the product of his environment. Gold Coast is where talent goes to die

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowell was equal 5th in contested possessions in the league coming into this round. He’s better than all the others on the inside.

He doesn’t have the running power of Daicos, Walsh and Ward though. Especially after his injuries which really set him back.

They all had their uncontested game on point coming in. But needed to work on the contested side. Rowell the opposite.

The super fit younger players like Ward hit the ground running because they can already play good minutes.

Just wow, ridiculous. His ball use was on full display, some of the kicks he saw that many wouldn’t and to then execute and pull them off is top notch. He reads the game so well and so quickly.

Add into that his traffic and stoppage work it was nuts, he is so silky and clean turning in to get the ball and then turning out and releasing a player and hitting targets.

⭐🌟

He may just have a higher IQ than any player in the league. I thought he was the best midfielder on the ground. The thought of Ward winning a Brownlow doesn't appear to be far-fetched.
Ward was up there. Newcombe was the best imo and Moore was there abouts, but Ward was the third best on the ground behind Gunston (who he and the midfield fed) & Newcombe with Moore next and probably Maginness.

Ward was up there. Newcombe was the best imo and Moore was there abouts, but Ward was the third best on the ground behind Gunston (who he and the midfield fed) & Newcombe with Moore next and probably Maginness.
Ward with 3 goal assists, 1 goal was the most damaging mid. Had more clearances and tackles than Jai despite less time around the ball. Also 7 score involvements to 3. Jai had more ball but not near the influence.

Moore was our best inside mid for mine with 6 tackles, 15 contested possessions and 8 clearances.

Ward with 3 goal assists, 1 goal was the most damaging mid. Had more clearances and tackles than Jai despite less time around the ball. Also 7 score involvements to 3. Jai had more ball but not near the influence.

Moore was our best inside mid for mine with 6 tackles, 15 contested possessions and 8 clearances.
Thought Jai was the best overall but it was pretty close with those 3 (Jai, Ward & Moore). Gunston the bloke they fed and Maginness for his tagging job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back