Toast Max Lynch retires

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
So it sounds like he will provide a contest and isn’t scared to jump. Please tell me he jumps at a centre bounce and doesn’t dance around worrying about getting hurt. He jumps right?

Lynch will provide a strong contest in the ruck just isn't great in the air around the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Reckon reeves and lynch will be a great foil to Gawn and Jackson. Next year both should be getting to their proper fitness levels for a ruckman, the year after a lot stronger.

Aslong as they fit the game plan well should make our midfield significantly better having two strong tap ruckman.

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
Reckon we got fairly lucky here, solid character, built like a brick shithouse and moves well for a tall. The luck comes because he is 23 and is only just hitting his development curve.

Reeves vs Lynch all pre season learning off Big boi and Monkey, now thats how you setup a new ruck duo for the next 8 years

And Hale

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Great energy from this lad.
Big, athletic, extroverted and he can play a bit.
His stats vs Gawn are highly encouraging for a guy who has hardly played and still very young for a ruckman.
Nice work from the recruiters.

Great pick up. Quite often a good ruckman can set the tone for the rest of team throughout a game. Bringing high consistent energy to a game is not easy for a ruckman and not many can do it. I think this is where Johny Ceglar struggled the most. When he was up he was more than serviceable. When he wasn't, it went south pretty quickly.

I'll never forget the cats game at Kardnia Park early last year. Stanley smashed Ceglar right from the first bounce and then destroyed him for the whole game. He set the tone early for the our midfield who also got demolished. Probably our worst game in the last 5-6 years hands down. We need a ruckman (aside from Reeves) who will be competitive from the get go and at least be competitive if they are playing a ruckman who is on fire

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Really excited to see how he develops getting consistent exposure at the top level. Seems like the kind of guy who can rise to a challenge.

I suspect that only one of Lynch or Ned will be on our list in 4 years time as they are competing for the same spot (ruck first, forward second), but more than happy to be proven wrong if one becomes more dangerous forward.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Really excited to see how he develops getting consistent exposure at the top level. Seems like the kind of guy who can rise to a challenge.

I suspect that only one of Lynch or Ned will be on our list in 4 years time as they are competing for the same spot (ruck first, forward second), but more than happy to be proven wrong if one becomes more dangerous forward.
You need two rucks always on a list in case one goes down. Max might be a person who is happy to be option 2 if the culture is right

how good is it hearing the positives about our young group? Hearing it from everyone (as in culture etc)

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
You need two rucks always on a list in case one goes down. Max might be a person who is happy to be option 2 if the culture is right

how good is it hearing the positives about our young group? Hearing it from everyone (as in culture etc)

on the list - definitely. Do we think Max and Ned will play a lot of footy together? I’m looking forward to seeing how it works.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m bullish on Ned Reeves’ prospects as our long-term No1 ruckman. During the year he was often dominant at VFL level and showed that he was also effective at AFL level.

So I thought I’d compare Max Lynch’s VFL stats against those of Ned Reeves’ VFL stats to see how far Max was behind Ned.

Season Averages in the VFL

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]AF[/TD][TD valign="top"]G[/TD][TD valign="top"]B[/TD][TD valign="top"]D[/TD][TD valign="top"]K[/TD][TD valign="top"]H[/TD][TD valign="top"]M[/TD][TD valign="top"]T[/TD][TD valign="top"]HO[/TD][TD valign="top"]CL[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Max Lynch[/TD][TD valign="top"]89.7[/TD][TD valign="top"]0.7[/TD][TD valign="top"]0.3[/TD][TD valign="top"]12.9[/TD][TD valign="top"]8.6[/TD][TD valign="top"]4.3[/TD][TD valign="top"]3.0[/TD][TD valign="top"]2.7[/TD][TD valign="top"]32.0[/TD][TD valign="top"]3.4[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Ned Reeves[/TD][TD valign="top"]76.0[/TD][TD valign="top"]0.4[/TD][TD valign="top"]0.6[/TD][TD valign="top"]11.5[/TD][TD valign="top"]5.5[/TD][TD valign="top"]6.0[/TD][TD valign="top"]2.6[/TD][TD valign="top"]2.0[/TD][TD valign="top"]31.4[/TD][TD valign="top"]3.3[/TD]

Clearly numbers can lie. It depends on which each player had as an opponent on those days and Hit Outs to Advantage matter more than just getting a touch on the ball (see Grundy vs Nic Nat). But damn, I must say I did not expect that Max Lynch‘s numbers would compare as well as they do.

And both players (at 23) are only going to improve.

Well done Hawks recruiters. 🎸We got our Money for Nothing and our Rucks for Free

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back