Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Michael Hartley

Remove this Banner Ad

lol
Yeah how dare he say anything nice about his old club on the way out

Shows a lack of intellect if you ask me... But he is a former scummer, we will let this one slide.

I get what tige is saying. ATM it's strictly a business transaction with Hartley. He hasn't been here long enough yet to make any other assessment however. Once he gets into the swing of things the bombers will be a distant memory. Ask Chad how he feels about Port now. Would be different to this time last year.

Yeah.....but you are not going to hear any off them say anything negative about their former club. It’s just ammunition for that club to prove a point when we play against them the next 11 times.....just ask Jeff ;-)

Even new draftees say how stoked they are to be going to the club they get drafted to. Not sure how you can be stoked to be going to GC or a StKilda type. But they say that because they are provided media training to say these things so they don’t cause any offence.....even if they don’t truly believe it.

Shows a lack of intellect if you ask me... But he is a former scummer, we will let this one slide.
Bombers drafted him and gave him a second chance after the Pies cut him.
He'd probably never have played an AFL game or had a chance to be on our list of they hadn't.

Think it shows class personally

He'd probably never have played an AFL game or had a chance to be on our list of they hadn't.

Also shouldn't be misconstrued into thinking he will be half arsed with his application. He will give it a crack knowing this is definitely his last chance to make a decent fist of his career.

Also shouldn't be misconstrued into thinking he will be half arsed with his application. He will give it a crack knowing this is definitely his last chance to make a decent fist of his career.
Agree. Plus a change of coaches can work wonders. He is doing it for his family, what better motivation? And what better club?

Fair point but disagree... Anyway, he is a Hawthorn player now so that’s all that matters, let’s see what he can bring to the table.

I listened to his radio interview from this morning, he seems like a really good genuine bloke with a good sense of humour. Clearly he values his family over everything else which will fit in well at Hawthorn and is probably part of the reason we chased him, ie. his value structure aligns with our culture. He also sounds remarkably like Luke Hodge

There seems to be an implication(from commentators) its harder to break into a team that has Hurley and Hooker than at the Hawks

Essendon points conceded 2019: 1784 2018: 1838
Hawthorn points conceded 2019: 1602 2018: 1642

But then Hartley mentioned he was impressed how fast Frost is

Give it 6 months and it will be all about Hawthorn. If all goes to plan he could spend 5 plus years here and be a part of another successful era. Sounds like he already is noticing the difference in standards which is.a good thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be an implication(from commentators) its harder to break into a team that has Hurley and Hooker than at the Hawks

Essendon points conceded 2019: 1784 2018: 1838
Hawthorn points conceded 2019: 1602 2018: 1642

But then Hartley mentioned he was impressed how fast Frost is

Defending as a team is different to the defence in isolation. Everyone knows that Essendon's midfield does not run both ways. Otherwise we may as well look at the whole picture and point out that they finished higher than us on the ladder.

You ask any supporter who they would prefer out of Hurley and Hooker or Frawley and Frost and I'm willing to bet it will be a rather one sided vote against our two. Hooker also played forward to cover for Daniher for much of the season.

Frost has a lot to prove to be considered a defender of Frawley, Hurley or Hooker's calibre. Having said that maybe Hooker is on the decline whilst Frost should really be hitting his peak over these next few years.

Last edited:
Defending as a team is different to the defence in isolation. Everyone knows that Essendon's midfield does not run both ways. Otherwise we may as well look at the whole picture and point out that they finished higher than us on the ladder.

You ask any supporter who they would prefer out of Hurley and Hooker or Frawley and Frost and I'm willing to bet it will be a rather one sided vote against our two. Hooker also played forward to cover for Daniher for much of the season.

Frost has a lot to prove to be considered a defender of Frawley, Hurley or Hooker's calibre. Having said that maybe Hooker is on the decline whilst Frost should really be hitting his peak over these next few years.
I've got to say I find Hurley/Hooker to be overrated, where does all the fuss about them come from?

-How about Mcgovern/Barrass, Moore/Howe, Allir/Rampe, Blicavs/Stewart, or Rance/Grimes

I'd even probably rate Tarrant/Daw over Hooker/Hurley if both duos were healthy

I would take Hooker or Hurley over both Frost and Frawley in a heartbeat. One on one they are better players than our two. Having better one on one players also means that you can tweak your gameplan to be more attacking knowing that the costs of a turnover aren't as deadly - our defence with Brian Lake in it (for example) was much stronger allowing the midfield to be more aggressive when we had the ball, knowing that he was back there.

I would take Hooker or Hurley over both Frost and Frawley in a heartbeat. One on one they are better players than our two. Having better one on one players also means that you can tweak your gameplan to be more attacking knowing that the costs of a turnover aren't as deadly - our defence with Brian Lake in it (for example) was much stronger allowing the midfield to be more aggressive when we had the ball, knowing that he was back there.
Clarko values team defence over one-v-one defence. The later is a bonus for him.

I would take Hooker or Hurley over both Frost and Frawley in a heartbeat. One on one they are better players than our two.

Turn it up, the only thing Hooker will be remembered for will be Buddy highlights, as for Chipp he played massive parts in our Premierships conversely Hurley has done fk all.

Frost is an unknown, I would take his pace over both of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back