Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Michael Hartley

Remove this Banner Ad

PS. logic dictates that I could not have meant Moore given Moore is still on the list and is not a key defender, but hey nit pick, it is often in the spirit of this joint.
Logic dictates that if you say Moore, people are going to think you're referring to Moore. He only asked for clarification, no need to get antsy.

Logic dictates that if you say Moore, people are going to think you're referring to Moore. He only asked for clarification, no need to get antsy.
Well for a poster of Brishawks obvious intellect, I was suprised he was unable to cover my obvious spelling deficiencies, Brant seemed to manage.

Process of deduction eliminates Dylan Moore on two counts, he is on the list and too small. Only link while accurate is the name. Mohr is gone and is of similar stature to Hartley, two links over one oh and the homophone which kinda makes three links, sloppy for me to not rememeber the correct spelling of Mohr, I detected pendantry from Brissy when it really wasn't necessay.

BTW, if I feel like getting antsy, I will get antsy, Are you like Scomo and want us all to be quiet, even if we don't like something?

The more I watch his highlights the more this pickup looks like a steal. A poor football club not valuing a key back heading into his prime that can mark and has great decision making by foot, that is the player we look for at Hawthorn.
A very solid player and reportedly a great bloke. Very good spoiler and strong mark. Very decent and long kick. Only real weakness is slow and not very agile at ground level. A solid player no doubt. Was always going to struggle to get past Hurley, Francis, Ambrose and then our young up and coming defender Zerk-Thacher so makes sense he’d seek greater game time playing senior football elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very solid player and reportedly a great bloke. Very good spoiler and strong mark. Very decent and long kick. Only real weakness is slow and not very agile at ground level. A solid player no doubt. Was always going to struggle to get past Hurley, Francis, Ambrose and then our young up and coming defender Zerk-Thacher so makes sense he’d seek greater game time playing senior football elsewhere.
So long as he is an upgrade on Brand, then all good.

Process of deduction eliminates Dylan Moore on two counts, he is on the list and too small. Only link while accurate is the name. Mohr is gone and is of similar stature to Hartley, two links over one oh and the homophone which kinda makes three links, sloppy for me to not rememeber the correct spelling of Mohr, I detected pendantry from Brissy when it really wasn't necessay.

BTW, if I feel like getting antsy, I will get antsy, Are you like Scomo and want us all to be quiet, even if we don't like something?
Had a bad day? FFS you are getting angry at someone for a mistake YOU made. How about, you simply say, "Oh yeah sorry, I meant Mohr." You aren't coming across too well here, and you so easily could have.

Had a bad day? FFS you are getting angry at someone for a mistake YOU made. How about, you simply say, "Oh yeah sorry, I meant Mohr." You aren't coming across too well here, and you so easily could have.
It's the kind of posting I would have expected from a guy called grumbleguts, not B&Gblood!

Was sad to see him leave but he'd also become a pretty frustrating player.

Started really well under intense heat in 2016 when he beat most players he played on, with virtually no support, but was pretty much limited to a negating, reactive role.

That's a bit of a waste of his height, a huge waste of his kicking, he's genuinely one of the best kicks in the AFL (trajectory, accuracy and length all excellent), and he doesn't have the speed on the lead to have a suitable opponent each week.

We wanted to develop his "intercept" game and what I'd say is his proactive defending/body positioning which would enable him to play on quicker guys who he's not quick enough to just tag.

In 2017 and the first half of 2018 he was playing like he was confused. In the second half of 2018 he started to show improvement while playing VFL and consolidated that at the lower level this year.

I couldn't say he had converted those performances to the AFL games he played though I'd prefer to see him in a 2 month stretch before ruling it out.

He's still dropping marks he should take and he can get outpositioned resulting in him giving away a lot of holding frees.

I don't think his problems are insurmountable. He's so close to being a really solid, best 22 AFL player but it could also be the case that he's just not quite good enough.

I'd like to think that if any set up can get the best out of him it's Hawthorne. Hopefully it comes together.

Last edited:
Really good article, love the honesty and as the article says, there a lot of stories like this in the AFL. I reckon I’d be putting my family ahead of the bombers too :)

No problem with that whatsoever. In fact the honesty is indeed refreshing.
Welcome to flagtown young man!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back