Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Michael Hartley

Remove this Banner Ad

Really good article, love the honesty and as the article says, there a lot of stories like this in the AFL. I reckon I’d be putting my family ahead of the bombers too :)

Interesting how the AFl runs this story about someone coming to the Hawks for money yet makes a big deal about others staying for the jumper when they know its not true

Interesting how the AFl runs this story about someone coming to the Hawks for money yet makes a big deal about others staying for the jumper when they know its not true

I really don't think that's the point of the article.

It's about the decisions the players "off Broadway" have to make because their opportunities are limited and their careers are far from straightforward.

The "money" is a red herring. Almost every time a player changes club he's getting paid more money. You think any free agent has changed clubs for less?

It's about the decisions the players "off Broadway" have to make because their opportunities are limited and their careers are far from straightforward.

The "money" is a red herring. Almost every time a player changes club he's getting paid more money. You think any free agent has changed clubs for less?
and theres players who would have changed clubs if the AFL hadnt tipped in more money and then run articles about loyalty being the reason on their websites

I agree with you for the bulk of what you're saying, but yes. Tom Lynch quite obviously took a pay cut to leave Gold Coast, and I think Frawley may have taken a small one to come to the Hawks back in 2015.

I agree with you for the bulk of what you're saying, but yes. Tom Lynch quite obviously took a pay cut to leave Gold Coast, and I think Frawley may have taken a small one to come to the Hawks back in 2015.
Frawley didn't take a pay cut. Frawley had a front ended deal at Melbourne and in his last year wasn't being paid enough to be in their top 10% so he was an UFA instead of a RFA. When Melbourne knew that they would get pick 3 for him they low balled him hard to push him out knowing that they could never get that pick in a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frawley didn't take a pay cut. Frawley had a front ended deal at Melbourne and in his last year wasn't being paid enough to be in their top 10% so he was an UFA instead of a RFA. When Melbourne knew that they would get pick 3 for him they low balled him hard to push him out knowing that they could never get that pick in a trade.

I stand corrected. Bullshit that a player not in the top 10% paid players can net a club that pick in compensation.

Would have loved for him to say “Hawthorn made me a better offer, I saw opportunity to work with Clarko and I’m pumped to pull on the brown and gold”.. he didn’t need to mention his love for that s**t stain, filthy cheating joint.
I think we need to cut him some slack.

People who come out the other side of a drug dependency often have lingering issues.

We should commend him on the steps he has taken so far.

Man you need a new hobby if this is how fired up you get over a football club.

I hate Essendon, I don't need hobbies, I need the players of the club I support (financially and emotionally) to understand that it's most important stakeholders (the ones that help pay their wages) don't want to hear about their love for that s**t hole. Pretty standard.

I think we need to cut him some slack.

People who come out the other side of a drug dependency often have lingering issues.

We should commend him on the steps he has taken so far.

I wouldn't have given my thoughts unless I read someone else's post, in the long run, it means little but it's not a great start is it? "LOVE"... Faceplant stuff

I hate Essendon, I don't need hobbies, I need the players of the club I support (financially and emotionally) to understand that it's most important stakeholders (the ones that help pay their wages) don't want to hear about their love for that s**t hole. Pretty standard.
lol
Yeah how dare he say anything nice about his old club on the way out

I get what tige is saying. ATM it's strictly a business transaction with Hartley. He hasn't been here long enough yet to make any other assessment however. Once he gets into the swing of things the bombers will be a distant memory. Ask Chad how he feels about Port now. Would be different to this time last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back