Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You can just about see his confidence growing with each game. Getting more involved and having greater impact with each game.
It’s a pretty big move dropping Roughy for him. Clarko is giving him a major opportunity and he looks like he is relishing it. We are no chance this year so watching players like him develop is what we should enjoy this year.

Comparisons to Tom Lynch or not (I take the above poster's point that Lynch's team was being routinely belted), I love this kid. I reckon he's an honest player, with a great set of hands and already a young leader at the club from what I hear.

Have also heard that he has an insatiable desire to better himself and has an incredible worth ethic with a willingness to learn - attributes that separate the good from the great.

Time to get a bit excited I reckon as we may have a future game breaker in our midst.

I would say we have been amazing at finding good to great KPF. Hudson, Martello, Moncreif, Knights, Dunstall, Dermie, Rough and Franko. Not surprisingly all those boys have a cup or two to cherish. Lets hope we find another ripper to partner with Mitch.

Not including Ablett as he wasn't with us for long, we've had 5 of the top 30 goal kickers in history play for our club. Not bad for club that spent the first few decades in the league as irrelevant to have 1/6th of the all time career goals list.

tl92

All Australian
Sep 11, 2009
Wantirna South
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Comparisons to Tom Lynch or not (I take the above poster's point that Lynch's team was being routinely belted), I love this kid. I reckon he's an honest player, with a great set of hands and already a young leader at the club from what I hear.
Playing in a terrible team isn’t always the disadvantage to a key forward as one would expect as they get the ball kicked to them 100% of the time. Can think of numerous examples of key forwards scoring more goals when there team was poor ie jack Riewoldt, Jeremy Cameron, fev, even mark williams for us.

Playing in a terrible team isn’t always the disadvantage to a key forward as one would expect as they get the ball kicked to them 100% of the time. Can think of numerous examples of key forwards scoring more goals when there team was poor ie jack Riewoldt, Jeremy Cameron, fev, even mark williams for us.

Yeah, usage rates skyrocket. Richo and Jono Brown later in his career are two prime examples.

Crawfthorn

Debutant
Feb 24, 2009
Amsterdam
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Certainly a mystery why Lewis didn't play this week. Further, its completely inconsistent with the messaging from Clarko earlier in the year that he needs an opportunity to play without Rough next to him to develop as KPF. So neither of them play, and we rob Peter to pay Paul with Sicily playing part of the game in the front half. Something doesn't seem quite right with this. Problem for Clarko only compounded by the fact we had 19 inside 50s in Q1 without a single mark inside F50.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
As good as Sicily is and can be up forward - Mitch Lewis is green yet still draws a crowd and is a focal point that the midfielders will kick to with confidence.

Sicily could be a gunston type forward. A Jack Riewoldt type if everything clicked and he really hit his ceiling.
But Mitch Lewis is the forward we need. Aside from the game he missed and Gunston kicked 6 - we've looked a much better functioning forward line with Lewis in the team.

Has to stay in the team for the rest of the year no matter what, has been outstanding so far tonight.
Has been excellent so far. Needs to play it right out and not go missing.

Back