Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
At the risk of putting noses out of joint, TOB is ahead of Lewis this year for mine.

I loved Lewis in 2019, he looked like the answer for us.

But he's not achieved that level since, and TOB has been more prominent (in our wins, he's impacted pretty much every contest he was in, even when 2:1 against vs Essendon etc).

Lewis definitely looked a level above in 2019, but he doesn't look as strong or mobile so far this year.

I hope he storms out and makes me eat my words over coming weeks. But so far he's a shadow of the 2019 clunk o' thon forward that terrorised defences. Both he and TOB looked to have gone to another level during that period, with Lewis clearly the more powerful of the two.

Last edited:

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
At the risk of putting noses out of joint, TOB is ahead of Lewis this year for mine.

But he's not achieved that level since, and TOB has been more prominent (in our wins, he's impacted pretty much every contest he was in, even when 2:1 against vs Essendon etc).

Lewis definitely looked a level above in 2019, but he doesn't look as strong or mobile so far this year.

I hope he storms out and makes me eat my words over coming weeks. But so far he's a shadow of the 2019 clunk o' thon forward that terrorised defences. Both he and TOB looked to have gone to another level during that period, with Lewis clearly the more powerful of the two.
You do know he’s third in the league for average contested marks right? Close to double tob. Tim gets his shot down back but he’ll do the usual ok game or two then get flogged by a good forward and we’ll all want him out of the team again

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Nah. He's 3 games in and already dishing up more of a contribution in just about every metric - and he takes contested marks.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
You do know he’s third in the league for average contested marks right? Close to double tob. Tim gets his shot down back but he’ll do the usual ok game or two then get flogged by a good forward and we’ll all want him out of the team again

Dug myself a hole there.

I've only seen both our wins after getting my subscription back on game day this week. Lewis wasn't in against the Bombers. He was against the Crows. He didn't look like 2019 Mitch at this stage. He did take a couple of grabs though, and his season stats are OK.

But O'Brien is not a key back, he can do OK when he's on. But someone will get a hold of him if he goes back.

He's a third tall. Squashed a rookie as a back in the guy's first game because he's used to going against a couple in each contest as a forward. But I think he'll struggle deep one on one vs. a seasoned forward.

Dug myself a hole there.

I've only seen both our wins after getting my subscription back on game day this week. Lewis wasn't in against the Bombers. He was against the Crows. He didn't look like 2019 Mitch at this stage. He did take a couple of grabs though, and his season stats are OK.

But O'Brien is not a key back, he can do OK when he's on. But someone will get a hold of him if he goes back.

He's a third tall. Squashed a rookie as a back in the guy's first game because he's used to going against a couple in each contest as a forward. But I think he'll struggle deep one on one vs. a seasoned forward.

Hawthorn's entire game plan revolves around not being stuck in 1:1 situations, so he might get caught out once or twice but we genuinely try very hard to make sure it doesn't happen. I don't think anyone's advocating that we play him on Tom Hawkins either.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Hawthorn's entire game plan revolves around not being stuck in 1:1 situations, so he might get caught out once or twice but we genuinely try very hard to make sure it doesn't happen. I don't think anyone's advocating that we play him on Tom Hawkins either.

It absolutely does, but man we looked vulnerable against the high ball vs. the Crows, and that's the one entry you'd feel was safe for our defence to cover.

Scrimshaw vs. Tillthorpe also showed there can be limitations when there is more than one KPP worth watching.

Obviously I want him to do well no matter where he plays. But unless the cupboard is entirely bare, and we get a matchup like Scrim did on the weekend, it's not ideal.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Jeka and Lewis rotating deeper and Kosi running all over the ground like a bigger Gunston.
That's a pretty good set up to me.
Wingard, Breust and Brockman are my preferred smalls.

That's going to look like a sweet set-up by the end of the season.

I reckon Jeka up the ground a bit, he's two footed and could open the whole field right up. His field kicking is fantastic.

this is a poor take

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Mitch injured his shoulder at the end of 2019, and has played 11 games since then. Even so, he's looked good this year, without setting the world on fire. Give him a few more games.

The Cleaner

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
[edit]

But he's not achieved that level since…
[edit]

[edit]

But so far he's a shadow of the 2019 clunk o' thon forward that terrorised defences.

“Clunkathon”… “Terrorised defences”…

Are we still talking about Mitch Lewis or Wayne Carey? What the actual?

Mitch’s average numbers this year are higher than 2019 in close to every stat. Kicks, marks, contested marks, handballs, disposals, tackles, inside 50s, etc. Goals per game are equivalent so far.

Someone get the fire extinguisher to this thread, there have been serious burns.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
“Clunkathon”… “Terrorised defences”…

Are we still talking about Mitch Lewis or Wayne Carey? What the actual?

Mitch’s average numbers this year are higher than 2019 in close to every stat. Kicks, marks, contested marks, handballs, disposals, tackles, inside 50s, etc. Goals per game are equivalent so far.

Someone get the fire extinguisher to this thread, there have been serious burns.

I seriously doubt they're higher than his second half of 2019 - and yep, he looked like a star on the way if you were watching back then, he was marking everything.

Maybe go back and take a look if you're in doubt.

Mainly though, if you read pretty much every response I've made, I admit I've not seen Mitch's games in our losses this year.

Last week wasn't second half of 2019 quality Mitch Lewis. I'll take a look at the earlier games, and take my foot out of my mouth though, the stats suggest he was better over previous weeks.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Mitch injured his shoulder at the end of 2019, and has played 11 games since then. Even so, he's looked good this year, without setting the world on fire. Give him a few more games.

This is definitely true, I remember that injury, and then watching him in 2020 and wondering if he'd reach those heights again.

Back in 2019 he had a real vein of form, and took big, important marks over a stretch of a month or so.

I truly hope he can get back to that. He looked like the foundation to build a forward line around at that stage.He took the key defenders + 1 other to most contests and still took big grabs.

I actually thought he put in fairly decent effort considering this would be one of the first times he's played that kind of role generally, let alone at an AFL level. Much higher demands on exertion than in his normal role as a power forward. I'm still optimistic, and looking forward to seeing how he evolves.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
At this point, he hits packs, competes, clunks a few, but seriously needs to work on second efforts, the defensive side of his game and generally on when the ball comes to ground. Still has infinitely more upside than O’Brien, but is now behind Kosi and has Jeka snapping at his heels. Still has great potential but needs to get moving. I doubt he’ll be given the excruciating amount of latitude O’Brien’s been given...

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
At this point, he hits packs, competes, clunks a few, but seriously needs to work on second efforts, the defensive side of his game and generally on when the ball comes to ground. Still has infinitely more upside than O’Brien, but is now behind Kosi and has Jeka snapping at his heels. Still has great potential but needs to get moving. I doubt he’ll be given the excruciating amount of latitude O’Brien’s been given...
He will if he's does what's asked of him

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's not though, he's taking the number one defender and creating contest which has allowed Kosi to get his goals, he's above average for pressure acts and tackles, nothing wrong with his second efforts.

Bruno Oresar

McDonalds voucher winner
Nov 9, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not shown much since late 2019 when he looked a real prospect. Looks every bit the late draft pick that he was....

A bit obscure but I have observed that big men who make it generally have more muscular legs. Lewis has chook Legs. Maybe he’s still going to fill out but until he does he will struggle.

Worth persisting with for another year but he’d want to start showing more than he is

One of his better games on the weekend, just for how much he competed around the ground.

Back