Remove this Banner Ad

darthmann

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
I get that was mainly a strategy to lock the ball in and retain it, but boy was it frustrating to watch.
i think it was also largely put in place to combat out poor ball movement/mediocre footskills for the past few years. like if you're streaming into the F50 your direction isn't gonna be to hit up someone 10 out from goal that has 3 defenders on them. That would be more to do with poor decision making/kicking skills.

But yeah, definitely a set concept out of a contested situation or a slow play

Simon Crawshay

Club Legend
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So difficult to rate our key forwards this year given we were regularly on the wrong side of the inside 50 differntial combined with our slow ball movement and insistence of banging it into the forward pocket to a pack so often.

But I feel Mitchell's later half of the year was actually quite decent.

If he can work on his fitness over the pre season so he can make more contests I feel 2022 could be a big year for the young man (also no more boxing!)

Apr 19, 2006
The local Satanist Cabal
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm, Spurs, Socceroos
Mitch Lewis
"Mitch showed us what he is capable of at AFL level this year, being a big key forward. He started the year promisingly before being injured in the middle part of the year. We're just really after some consistent performances from him to take his game to the next level. We think we'll get that with another big pre-season under his belt to build his body up and build his confidence, but we've seen what Mitch can do and we're excited for what's ahead of him."

SSSSSS

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
All between the ears with Mitch. Hard to hit packs hard when you aren't confident in your body but thought he grew later in the year. Hopefully a big, healthy preseason and hit the ground running.

Definitely our best KPF when he has it all together. Difference between his best and worst is quite massive, effort wise at least. Will come with experience.

Brishawk

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1. Competitiveness
2. Work rate

that is what he needs to work on and the consistency and confidence will come with it. Was much better in the second half of the year Hope it has clicked for him. He has enough talent to be the key forward around which the rest pivot.

threesixpio

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To add - you wonder how influential the playing group were on all that transpired …don’t want to derail Hodgey thread but yeah.

and the assistants are a back part of all of this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad