Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome.

I'm not even trolling....his nickname is "Hodge".

I'm maybe trolling.

Here's some real info:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...t/news-story/cd373818f540ab9164ed221ed9c8fa82

ON the cusp of selection in the Victorian under-17 cricket side and with a golf handicap of one, Mitch Lewis made a tough call he hopes will be vindicated at this year’s AFL National Draft.

Lewis was a rare sporting prodigy.

At 15, he earned a call-up to Carlton’s Second XI side, showcasing his pace bowling talents to finish the 2014-15 Premier Cricket campaign with 17 wickets.

Lewis was also playing competition golf across Melbourne and achieving scores to suggest he had a bright future on the fairways.

But there came a point where he knew he had to focus his efforts on one sport.

The 17-year-old went with his heart and chose football.

That decision paid off when he was selected in Calder Cannons’ TAC Cup squad last year, featuring in nine matches.

“Last year, I thought that cricket would have to be given the flick and I’ve focused on footy ever since then. (There’s) no looking back,” Lewis said.

The key forward produced one of his best matches for Calder against Gippsland Power last weekend, finishing with four goals, 13 marks, 12 hit-outs and 33 disposals in a 23-point defeat.

Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte said Lewis’ breakout performance had forced AFL clubs to stand up and take notice of his ability.

“His agility for a big man, I think he understands the game really well,” Kyte said.

“He’s normally a good set shot for goal. The things he’s strong at he’s got to keep working on to get better.”

Lewis is among six Calder players who have been invited to attend this year’s State Combine, where he will have the chance to further press his draft claims to AFL clubs during testing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back