Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
You just know that Clarkson will not have given up on TOB as a fill-in defender.

Sadly I think you are right.

TO's stats are very poor this year.

Across four games he is averaging: 9 kicks, 2 handballs, 4 marks, less than a goal a game and 2 tackles.

Not succeeding as a forward or a defender for mine.

GerryLewis

All Australian
Nov 10, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Sadly I think you are right.

TO's stats are very poor this year.

Across four games he is averaging: 9 kicks, 2 handballs, 4 marks, less than a goal a game and 2 tackles.

Not succeeding as a forward or a defender for mine.
Its a bloody shame. I really thought he'd turned the corner last year as the 2nd ruck/fwd option. Hasn't shown much more than a glimpse this year.

Mar 23, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Contracted til end of 2019?

Fair bit of faith in him right there.

Then again Luke Parker got a five year deal, Kieren Jack a 3 year one, and the Swans then couldn't pay Tom Mitchell market price.

All clubs make mistakes... :eek:

Then again Luke Parker got a five year deal, Kieren Jack a 3 year one, and the Swans then couldn't pay Tom Mitchell market price.

All clubs make mistakes... :eek:
Sure, but TOB got that new deal in August 2017. Not sure Clarko and Co would have lost faith in 8 months

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While Lewis is an exciting prospect who has been kicking goals, we need to temper expectations here. He doesn’t win a lot of ball at vfl level and is only going to find it harder at afl level. I’m
Just hoping he competes well and gives us a new dynamic in the ruck.

I have no expectations of a huge bag of goals, but from watching a few VFL games and reading up as much as possible on game reports I'm hoping his effort will carry through to this level. Chasing, tackling and making contests are at the core of what he can do and kicking goals will come in time.

It's a great test for him to debut against Andrews, who is a great one on one defender but limited in other ways - if he can get off and exploit Andrews poor second efforts and lack of agility we know we have something.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
While Lewis is an exciting prospect who has been kicking goals, we need to temper expectations here. He doesn’t win a lot of ball at vfl level and is only going to find it harder at afl level. I’m
Just hoping he competes well and gives us a new dynamic in the ruck.

Im hoping they stick him in the goal square and he leads out to space drawing opponents.

Either gets him the ball 30m out, or Rough or Gunston or Breust have a clean run at it.

At 198cm they really should use him as a genuine full forward. Plus it also means he gets a key defender if he's in the goal square (or opens up to Joe the Goose goals).

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Im hoping they stick him in the goal square and he leads out to space drawing opponents.

Either gets him the ball 30m out, or Rough or Gunston or Breust have a clean run at it.

At 198cm they really should use him as a genuine full forward. Plus it also means he gets a key defender if he's in the goal square (or opens up to Joe the Goose goals).

That would mean playing a forward line though.

Clarkson won't let that happen.

Mar 23, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

Completely agree. Good luck to the kid !!!

Mitchell LEWIS

2018 VFL
Totals

• 5 games
  • 14 goals
  • 6 behinds
  • 3 times in the best players list

Averages

• 7.8 kicks
  • 5.4 handballs
  • 13.2 disposals
  • 4.2 marks
  • 4.8 tackles
  • 4.4 hitouts
  • 1.2 inside 50s
  • 0.4 rebound 50s
  • 1.0 frees for
  • 1.0 frees against
  • 86.40 Dream Team points

After hearing so much about this kid, I am interested to see how he goes.

Would love to read a bitter article after the game saying "The Hawks have found another one" :)
"Mitchell Lewis back in the best for Hawks"

Goody1971

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Hawksville
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will be interesting to see if he can clunk a few contested marks inside F50, when our inevitable bomb it in long approach kicks in...good luck young fella!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back