Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Jul 3, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think kosi, Lewis, Gunston, Bruest, Moore and Hanrahan with Jeka and O'Brien in reserve isn't a bad setup for the next few years. Only Gunston and O'Brien are close-ish to end of their careers I reckon.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

Birdofprey

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Iowa Hawkeyes
If you compare their peak performances over the years, Lewis' was as good as any young key forward. McKay has started this year off very well, but his performances previously weren't outstanding.

I made a comparison table similar to the one you quoted last year. McKay's performances this year would have him out ahead, but he's a year older than Lewis so we have to give him time.

Excellent.

That table presents a very positive comparison. I was happy with him anyway to be honest, but did not realize how well he is comparing statistically.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Probably been said but his work to get up the ground and down the ground is back, some of his best work has been up on the thing, so many people last year calling him lazy and slow when it was clearly injury and a lack of a preseason and no proper way to build match fitness.

Probably been said but his work to get up the ground and down the ground is back, some of his best work has been up on the thing, so many people last year calling him lazy and slow when it was clearly injury and a lack of a preseason and no proper way to build match fitness.
It's a big change from last year.

He just looked really off last year. Maybe it was the hubs, maybe it was the introduction with Patton, probably his shoulder.

satan1

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Straighten the goal kicking and he is a must starter every week.

Most of the others on the list have more footspeed which is hard to be ignored these days defensively. With his contested marking ability i50 though there's not many kpf that won't be worried standing him if he continues to develop.

You could see him desperate to impact the game in the last QTR yesterday when it was on the line which is a good sign for a kid who looked to be a little down on kicking confidence.

We desperately need that long leading mark on the wing when Gunston is out, yesterday's were great to watch.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
What was the last 3 pronged tall attack to truely work? I desperately want Kosi, Lewis and Jeka to develop into a formidable trio, but when was the last time 3 talls in a similar mould excelled simultaneously?

Buddy, Roughie, Gunston?

Currently Kennedy, Darling and Allen?

Toasted

All Australian
Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What was the last 3 pronged tall attack to truely work? I desperately want Kosi, Lewis and Jeka to develop into a formidable trio, but when was the last time 3 talls in a similar mould excelled simultaneously?

Buddy, Roughie, Gunston?

2015 GF. Shoey, rough, hale and Gunston.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lewis is just a wonderful mark. Almost everything else is a work in progress, but he has always improved with continuity. Seems to make a habit of big marks in big moments, too.
That's the sign of good player - pity last year was just write off for him and Kosi in particular.

His longevity in the game will be determined by his ferocity at the ball. He is still a bit too timid for my liking but maybe it’s an age and confidence thing.

must attack the ball hard and make defenders think twice about dropping into his space. He has to learn the nastiness required of a top key forward
I thought in 2019 he was close to our most aggressive player - which was good for a young fella, especially since it is something the side as a whole lacks - then he did his shoulder - then covid - pretty sure he'll get it back.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

Buddy, Roughie, Gunston?

Clarke has changed the "meta" a few times now throughout his career, why not one more?

Also we had Buddy, Roughy, Hale and Gunston at one point and were the most potent scoring team.

If one of these three (maybe Jeka due to his two-footedness) can push up the ground a bit then there should be enough space for all three.

Buddy, Roughie, Gunston?

I guess I'd counter with how often does a team have 3 talls worth building their forward line around? Many only have two so they plan around that number.

Not saying those three in one forward line will definitely work, but it certainly seems worth exploring as an option. If we can get it working then I imagine it would become quite a headache to deal with for many teams who might not have the defenders necessary to stop all three.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons

Buddy, Roughie, Gunston?

It was more popular among good teams 5-10 years ago. I think three talls is fine as long as one or two of them can navigate a ground ball and apply pressure.

West Coast have gone with a version of Kennedy, Darling and a resting ruck since about 2011. GWS made a granny with Cameron, Finlayson and Himmelberg. 2014 Sydney lined up with Franklin, Tippett, Reid and Goodes and finished 1st easily. Even in 2012 they had Goodes, Reid, LRT up forward. Podsiadly/Hawkins/second ruck. Cloke/Brown/Dawes.

We obviously went with Roughead, Franklin, Gunston AND Hale in 2013 but that's 2 extremely mobile club greats and a potential GOAT, so results may vary.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I guess I'd counter with how often does a team have 3 talls worth building their forward line around? Many only have two so they plan around that number.

Not saying those three in one forward line will definitely work, but it certainly seems worth exploring as an option. If we can get it working then I imagine it would become quite a headache to deal with for many teams who might not have the defenders necessary to stop all three.
Control the air you control the game - the total opposite of the Hardwick crap (even though he's had a really strong spine too). Which is good for the game, imo.

Clarko said in first interview as Hawk coach - and I quote "Big strong spines wins premierships". He has never ever deviated from this, it's just we've struggled (as all clubs do) to find a new spine, once the all time greats retired. The midfield is easy to fix, always is because there is just many more mids to choose from each and every draft/trade period, so if we have a "new" tall forward line and maybe one kid defender (DGB) then we're on our way, especially since we've finally started adding pace in our smaller players.

It's going to be great watching this development stage.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It was more popular among good teams 5-10 years ago. I think three talls is fine as long as one or two of them can navigate a ground ball and apply pressure.

West Coast have gone with a version of Kennedy, Darling and a resting ruck since about 2011. GWS made a granny with Cameron, Finlayson and Himmelberg. 2014 Sydney lined up with Franklin, Tippett, Reid and Goodes and finished 1st easily. Even in 2012 they had Goodes, Reid, LRT up forward. Podsiadly/Hawkins/second ruck. Cloke/Brown/Dawes.

We obviously went with Roughead, Franklin, Gunston AND Hale in 2013 but that's 2 extremely mobile club greats and a potential GOAT, so results may vary.

you really think hale is a potential GOAT slashy (ruck/forward)?🤪

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Control the air you control the game - the total opposite of the Hardwick crap (even though he's had a really strong spine too). Which is good for the game, imo.

Clarko said in first interview as Hawk coach - and I quote "Big strong spines wins premierships". He has never ever deviated from this, it's just we've struggled (as all clubs do) to find a new spine, once the all time greats retired. The midfield is easy to fix, always is because there is just many more mids to choose from each and every draft/trade period, so if we have a "new" tall forward line and maybe one kid defender (DGB) then we're on our way, especially since we've finally started adding pace in our smaller players.

It's going to be great watching this development stage.
Richmond control the air in the backline. Take mark after mark...well, they used to..

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Richmond control the air in the backline. Take mark after mark...well, they used to..
Without derailing the thread - yeah he's had/has a good spine - they are very much like the handbags in the way they hold the oppo forwards on the ground, so their 3rd man up can take a uncontested mark - wish we could get away with this crap - just makes it sweeter when we win though.

detox

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Buddy, Roughie, Gunston?

This is easily doable if one of them supports a #1 Ruckman.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jeka and Lewis rotating deeper and Kosi running all over the ground like a bigger Gunston.
That's a pretty good set up to me.
Wingard, Breust and Brockman are my preferred smalls.

That's going to look like a sweet set-up by the end of the season.

Back