Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Wanna see him play out the whole year. To see, properly, where he's at. Just hasn't had the best of luck since 2019, I'm more inclined to think that with more experience and confidence he'll become our CHF type that roams up the ground with kozzie deep inside 50!
Like the look of him.

Wanna see him play out the whole year. To see, properly, where he's at. Just hasn't had the best of luck since 2019, I'm more inclined to think that with more experience and confidence he'll become our CHF type that roams up the ground with kozzie deep inside 50!
Like the look of him.
I've got the two playing the other way around.

He just has to keep crashing packs and competing hard in the air and at ground level. We need him to be a work horse.

He looks a million dollars when he plays that way, and then you can see his confidence go up once the results start flowing. Last week’s game was late season 2019 like. Hope we get some repeat doses and more improvements as he gets more continuity and confidence back.

Contested marking, crashing packs.

Keep it up please Mitchell. The brightest light in our forward line.

Not getting enough media love considering how he stacks up to his peers

Media love? I'd be happy if people on this board stopped calling him lazy and writing him off at 22 in favour of guys barely younger than him doing half of what he does.

Let's get our own fans around him before we start a classic anti-Hawthorn media bias campaign!

I get the sense he may be slightly underdone this year and some more size / conditioning would help his case but could he model his game around the great man below?

I am loosing a little bit of faith in him being a stay at home forward and he needs another string to his bow. But I could see him playing majority forward with more significant time in the ruck. Is this something he could do or just doesn't have being ruck in him?

1621857149682.png

Not shown much since late 2019 when he looked a real prospect. Looks every bit the late draft pick that he was....

A bit obscure but I have observed that big men who make it generally have more muscular legs. Lewis has chook Legs. Maybe he’s still going to fill out but until he does he will struggle.

Worth persisting with for another year but he’d want to start showing more than he is
Chook legs like Brereton. He went ok.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not shown much since late 2019 when he looked a real prospect. Looks every bit the late draft pick that he was....

A bit obscure but I have observed that big men who make it generally have more muscular legs. Lewis has chook Legs. Maybe he’s still going to fill out but until he does he will struggle.

Worth persisting with for another year but he’d want to start showing more than he is
Bit hard when the ball never gets forward and when it does it's via the slowest method possible - by which time all our forwards are out of position for the 207th time in the one slow play, so in the end it just gets dumped on their heads - this is what happens when mids get countless handball receives on the back flank, back pocket and then just hack it forward 35 meters before doing it all again while the forwards lead and lead and move and move but nothing - lets get the stats up instead for a few mids (or one in particular).

I say get a better midfield and then see if he's any good. Al la Hendo putting it to advantage in the year you mentioned when Lewis did indeed show that he is capable if our mids are. In fact if you look at how our forwards are doing compared to the ball they get I can't wait to see them get actual effing delivery sometime next year - it's going to put the wind up some defenders and oppo coaches.

Bit hard when the ball never gets forward and when it does it's via the slowest method possible - by which time all our forwards are out of position for the 207th time in the one slow play, so in the end it just gets dumped on their heads - this is what happens when mids get countless handball receives on the back flank, back pocket and then just hack it forward 35 meters before doing it all again while the forwards lead and lead and move and move but nothing - lets get the stats up instead for a few mids (or one in particular).

I say get a better midfield and then see if he's any good. Al la Hendo putting it to advantage in the year you mentioned when Lewis did indeed show that he is capable if our mids are. In fact if you look at how our forwards are doing compared to the ball they get I can't wait to see them get actual effing delivery sometime next year - it's going to put the wind up some defenders and oppo coaches.

Agree - the game averages (disposals/marks/goals per game) that Mitch and Kosi have generated this year are solid. Not fantastic, but compare reasonably with someone like Lynch. I know stats are not everything and can be deceptive, and these boys have got a long way to go. But in a side that sits second bottom on the ladder, and with forward entries that are often a nightmare, I think these two guys are doing well. They just gotta keep playing, and keep improving something about their game every few weeks.

Agree - the game averages (disposals/marks/goals per game) that Mitch and Kosi have generated this year are solid. Not fantastic, but compare reasonably with someone like Lynch. I know stats are not everything and can be deceptive, and these boys have got a long way to go. But in a side that sits second bottom on the ladder, and with forward entries that are often a nightmare, I think these two guys are doing well. They just gotta keep playing, and keep improving something about their game every few weeks.

Agree. They often have o compete for a high ball with multiple defenders coming at them. I think with Mitch, Kosi and Jekka we have enough raw talent and variety and hopefully at least two of three make it. Now for a new Rioli-Breust-Puopolo.

I like Lewis.
He's a solid contested mark, but we've got Jeka playing like the VFL's Wayne Carey, so if we can't play all 3 of Kosi, Lewis and Jeka - it's Lewis who is in trouble.

I think we can play all 3.
Kosi the mobile option like Gunston.
Jeka at CHF and Lewis is really just a deep forward.
The trouble is we don't have the smalls forwards to put pressure at ground level.
Saunders, S.Mitchell, Brockman are our options at the moment - not bad.
I'm done with Moore and Hanrahan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has to develop his ruck game and hit the gym. He is obviously undersized for a ruck and needs the strength conditioning for the push and shove around the ground at stoppages. He will never be a jumper like TO but if he can get to a level where he can compete similar to Tom Hawkins he will have a big future.
For me I see him getting bigger in his upper body in particular over the next couple of seasons as he continues his shoulder rebuild and confidence.
I’d have him as a second ruck starting deep but with a licence to push up to CHF. He is a great mark and does get to the right spots more often than not. Better ball supply will be the key for the 3 tall set up that I feel is our best way forward. Especially with Reeves looking like being the No.1 ruck sooner rather than later.
Kosi to play FF and Jekka a true CHF.
I really hope that the club continues what they have dabbled with already and gets back to it to finish the season in preparation for 2022.
If that means playing some players out of position to accommodate this then so be it. The look of the next 5 years is here now with some midfield class to top it off. Lewis is a massive part of that look.

I like Lewis.
He's a solid contested mark, but we've got Jeka playing like the VFL's Wayne Carey, so if we can't play all 3 of Kosi, Lewis and Jeka - it's Lewis who is in trouble.

I think we can play all 3.
Kosi the mobile option like Gunston.
Jeka at CHF and Lewis is really just a deep forward.
The trouble is we don't have the smalls forwards to put pressure at ground level.
Saunders, S.Mitchell, Brockman are our options at the moment - not bad.
I'm done with Moore and Hanrahan.

I reckon there’s room for all three in the best 22. At some point Koschitzke will play in defence.

3rd in the league for 1-on-1 contests winning %.
With possibly the worst supply in the afl. If he can improve his ruck work (not sure if shoulders bother him) and around the ground marking I like the look on paper of him as a 2nd ruck/fwd with reeves no 1 ruck and kosi and Jeka as key forwards (for 2022 onwards).

With possibly the worst supply in the afl. If he can improve his ruck work (not sure if shoulders bother him) and around the ground marking I like the look on paper of him as a 2nd ruck/fwd with reeves no 1 ruck and kosi and Jeka as key forwards (for 2022 onwards).
If he can play ruck, that makes him elite.

The WORST supply in the league, and he's 3rd for 1-on-1 wins.....come on. This guy is doing very well. He's played less than 30 games and massively flying under the radar.

If he can play ruck, that makes him elite.

The WORST supply in the league, and he's 3rd for 1-on-1 wins.....come on. This guy is doing very well. He's played less than 30 games and massively flying under the radar.
He's been below par for mine. Forget the stats. Under the radar? Come on he has hardly set the world on fire this year..

Just doesn't work hard enough. He is however one of few players that can have a dominant patch which helps win a game which is why I feel we are persisting with him. I don't think he is good enough to be a permanent forward. Should be a David Hale. Make him work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back