Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

If you can see into the future, you should know how it works out.
Give us all a few tips for our Fantasy footy teams.
Give the club the intel on the draft, with the benefit of hindsight.

While you're at it, can you also tell us how long these lockdowns will last and which vaccine turns out to be better?

Cheers.
The lockdown will end 7 weeks 3 days 4 hours 17 minutes and 38 seconds from this point.

(OK, since several people read these forums, and all at different times, at some point someone will read this exactly that long before some lockdown somewhere will end. )

B&GBlood

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Oscar Allen Vs Mitchell Lewis - Lewis is 5 Months older.

View attachment 1225792
Interesting comparison.
Lewis is more likely to get the ball kicked to him with Allen the 3rd banana behind Kennedy and Darling but then Lewis is also likely to have a better player assigned to him. Hard to know if the raw numbers are comparable. Do these two considerations balance things out? Who knows but both look like they are going along very nicely. Well done Mitch!

halfback dasher made me take a look at this.

Here's what Lewis did in 2021 with 14 interrupted games.

22 goals(1.6 av), 67 marks(4.8 av), 25 contested marks(1.7 av)

At the same age, lets see what some other big names were averaging(Green if better than Mitch, Red if worse).

Tom Hawkins(18 games) - 1.5 goals, 4.9 marks, 2.3 contested marks.
Harry McKay(13 games) - 1.6 goals, 4.4 marks, 1.7 contested marks.
Charlie Dixon (13 games) - 1.5 goals, 3.2 marks, 1.6 contested marks.

Mitch just needs continued games.

I look at that back end of 2019 he had as what he can achieve with confidence in his role and lack of interruption.

He was fantastic for that patch, consistent 3 goal a game forward taking 2-3 contested marks mostly I50.

Pretty funny that the 2 best tall forwards from that 2016 draft were taken pick 73 and 76 in Larkey and Mitch. Both ahead of Todd Marshall who was taken pick 16.

Never got why people were talking as if he wasn't best 22 or even worth keeping on the list.

He's super reliable and has shown plenty to suggest that he could get heaps better. Which is certainly not out of the question given how young he is and the interruptions to his development through injury. Once he's built his conditioning a bit more I think he'll be a lot more durable and confident with crashing packs. From there he'll take his game to the next level.

And if it just so happens he's already close to his peak then it's still been a great result from a draft pick that would typically get you a draftee that never sees any AFL minutes.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Never got why people were talking as if he wasn't best 22 or even worth keeping on the list.

He's super reliable and has shown plenty to suggest that he could get heaps better. Which is certainly not out of the question given how young he is and the interruptions to his development through injury. Once he's built his conditioning a bit more I think he'll be a lot more durable and confident with crashing packs. From there he'll take his game to the next level.

And if it just so happens he's already close to his peak then it's still been a great result from a draft pick that would typically get you a draftee that never sees any AFL minutes.
Definitely better than what his trade pick would have suggested. But how much better can he be? Dunno

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Because they're goldfish and forget easily.
Most people have no tolerance for the time it takes to regain fitness and form after a serious injury.
Lewis' contested markig when he's had good preparation is elite.
He still has big gaps in his game, but he's a very useful forward who hits the scoreboard.

Definitely better than what his trade pick would have suggested. But how much better can he be? Dunno
He plays a traditional leading KPF style. With his height, reach and strong marking ability he'll be very tough to beat on the lead providing he's given good delivery.

Which is the crux of it.

Our ability to provide quality delivery to a leading forward will determine how much impact he can have. He's had a pretty good return given how atrocious the delivery has been for most of his time at the Hawks.

That's why I'm excited to see guys like Scrimshaw and Day play higher up the ground and be the ones kicking it to him lace out at full stretch. You can't reliably defend that. He'll be the one kicking big bags once our midfield is in full flight again.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He plays a traditional leading KPF style. With his height, reach and strong marking ability he'll be very tough to beat on the lead providing he's given good delivery.

Which is the crux of it.

Our ability to provide quality delivery to a leading forward will determine how much impact he can have. He's had a pretty good return given how atrocious the delivery has been for most of his time at the Hawks.

That's why I'm excited to see guys like Scrimshaw and Day play higher up the ground and be the ones kicking it to him lace out at full stretch. You can't reliably defend that. He'll be the one kicking big bags once our midfield is in full flight again.
Bramble’s delivery hasn’t hurt either

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Elite? Not sure if serious. He's well placed for a key forward at the current stage of his development, but 1.8 contested marks a game is a long way from being elite. As an example, for other key forwards: McKay (2.6), Dixon (2.5), King (2.4), Naughton (2.4), Darcy Cameron (2.2)... Mitch was ranked 19th for average contested marks by key forwards in 2021. Hopefully with a good pre-season and he can get over 2.0 per game in 2022 and end up top 10.
You're taking his average across the season.
I am looking at when he is up and running...it took him some time to get into the groove again.
In his breakout season he was close to the top 2-3 in the league for CM.
Then the injury+covid season.
What were his CM numbers for the second half of 2021?

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You're taking his average across the season.
I am looking at when he is up and running...it took him some time to get into the groove again.
In his breakout season he was close to the top 2-3 in the league for CM.
Then the injury+covid season.
What were his CM numbers for the second half of 2021?
He was definitely more of a player in the last 6-7 games of the year. That one in Canberra with snow in particular. He owned the forward fifty that night

Bramble’s delivery hasn’t hurt either

For the criticisms of Worpel's foot skills, his delivery inside 50 was a big reason for that late 2019 form. Same with Wingard.

Wingard knows just how a forward wants the ball to come in.

After trading out Mitchell and Lewis, I thought the Hawks were just trolling us with his selection. The fact that he's just about cemented his spot in our 22 and kicking goals is a massive win!

Wingard knows just how a forward wants the ball to come in.
Apparently long and high bombs ain't it. Who knew?

Aug 30, 2007
London
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lewis is very much a confidence player. We've seen what he can do when his confidence it up. A good pre-season, no injuries and a run of games will see him shine.

I reckon this is the key with Mitch, we all saw what he could do at the end of 2019 when he was up and about but then we went and recruited Patton which had to be a knock to his confidence given they essentially played the same role (not to mention the injuries and Covid disruption).

With another pre-season under his belt this year and more job security in that 'big' key forward role (as opposed to Kosi/Jeka in more of the leading forward role) im hopeful he will explode next year as he has all of the tools.

Back