Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : MSD Pick 12, Brandon Ryan, debuts!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a big believer and think it's a very smart selection.

I took note of him in the Box Hill game, where although he was well held his movement up the ground was constantly threatening. Went back and watched his games. He's a late developer so has upside. 200cm with great mobility and good marking. He has skinny arms but doesn't get moved off the ball easily, reminiscent of the King brothers. His kicking is reliable enough that he can be a link man higher up the ground.

In terms of knocks, he can have quiet periods and is very gangly. His age is also perfectly fine but as a project player perhaps a bit old for our demographic.

It's a perfect low risk, high reward selection. A full preseason with some conditioning and we could have a dangerous partner for Mitchell Lewis. At minimum, he's valuable depth in an area we will likely get thinner at the end of the season.

Best of luck Ryan!
I like your take on this Vando.

He has unusual traits and using a players best traits is Sam’s forte (think Nash).
Ryan’s kicking is text-book perfect for a big man and he moves really well for his size.

I said this in the Box Hill thread and was told I was wrong, but again I say he is not a ruckman. He is too light and IMO will always be too light to be a ruckman (yes he can do the job as a ruckman in a pinch, but so have Nash and Thorpe who are clearly not ruckman).

I don’t see Ryan playing AFL this year and so it will be fascinating to see how he is deployed in the VFL.

Could he be moulded into that super-tall defender? If so, does he have enough speed And can he put on the strength for 1:1 against the tall fwds?

This is the Hawks most intriguing pick in the last decade.

Last edited:
I just wonder whether we see him as a CHB. If he can cover the ground well enough and read the pill in the air he might be a chance. Nice left too.
I thought exactly the same thing. Could seriously be the diamond we've been looking for there.

He reminds me a bit of Eric Hipwood but looks to be a better mark and kick. He definitely has something about him

6 or 18 month contract?
It was mentioned in the MSD thread that he nominated 6 months.

Will he be around for pre-season?
Aren't the contracts just 6 months?

6 months is the default contract length but players can nominate a longer contract. It's a bit of a risk as it may scare some clubs away but generally it seems players only do it if a club has invested a lot of time in them and probably expressed to them in private that they will he picked.

Newcombe did this with us and again going off the MSD thread Tucker also nominated 18 months and I understand he had been training with us before we picked him. On a side note if Tucker turns out to also be another great MSD pick for us I wonder how long it will take for the AFL to make changes since we seem to be nailing the MSD year after year.

Interesting comparison that his coach Brodie Holland makes with Cameron. From the video footage I can see a bit of it in the way he moves. Not as agile but Ryan is taller and has longer levers.

With an improving midfield and backline starting to click could Ryan and Lewis become our twin towers with Bruest, Brocky, Butler, Moore at their feet ………. could we finish the season strongly. Ryan is 25 and mature so he might be able to play sooner rather than later 🤞 We are not picking him just to fill a spot on the list and drafted as a key forward.

Big Oscar McInerney vibes.

Would be great if he could become a similar fwd/ruck threat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was mentioned in the MSD thread that he nominated 6 months.

6 months is the default contract length but players can nominate a longer contract. It's a bit of a risk as it may scare some clubs away but generally it seems players only do it if a club has invested a lot of time in them and probably expressed to them in private that they will he picked.

Newcombe did this with us and again going off the MSD thread Tucker also nominated 18 months and I understand he had been training with us before we picked him. On a side note if Tucker turns out to also be another great MSD pick for us I wonder how long it will take for the AFL to make changes since we seem to be nailing the MSD year after year.
Highly doubt a 25 yr old is quitting his day job for a 6 month contract

From Mid-season draft prospect with ‘Jeremy Cameron’ qualities suspended

Bullants coach Brodie Holland, who played 155 games for Fremantle and Collingwood, said Ryan had almost certainly played his last game, certainly for this season, with his side, given the mid-season draft interest in him.

“It’s disappointing because he’s never been reported or suspended, and is very quiet by nature and not aggressive in any shape or form,” Holland told Money Talks of the ban.

Holland believes Ryan, who he recruited from Maribyrnong Park, warrants being the first player taken in the mid-season draft – and he would be “stunned” if he wasn’t on an AFL club list for the second half of the year.

“He’s mobile for a player of his size, and I’ve seen him pick the ball up off his ankles a couple of times,” he said.

“I’ve even seen him, a bit Jeremy Cameron-style, wheel around and hit targets from 50 metres. He’s a unique player, and in the modern game where clubs are looking for taller players with longer levers – he could be that type of player.”

How is this disappointing?

I haven't seen him play and have only seen the highlights on the Hawthorn site.

With David Hale as one of his coaches going forward (and being roughly the same height and playing roughly the same position) it will be interesting where he sits, or plays, or how he develops within the next few months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back