Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ned Long Pick 5, 2021 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

killerspud

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread -

Welcome Ned - maybe your time here result in multiple premierships and many great tales to tell your grand kids

Go well

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Those three are explosive, which is something Long is not. Could still prove to be a difficult match up given his size. Maybe he will drag his midfield opponents deep.
This is the nub of it according to an astute observer. “The kid is not explosive, if he had that xfactor watch out. That said, he continues to develop which he clearly has the mindset to want to do, the Hawks may have stolen one here. Combined with Ward, his good mate, Newcombe and Worpel, the Hawks are doing their best to turn a weakness into a strength”

Brishawk

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is the nub of it according to an astute observer. “The kid is not explosive, if he had that xfactor watch out. That said, he continues to develop which he clearly has the mindset to want to do, the Hawks may have stolen one here. Combined with Ward, his good mate, Newcombe and Worpel, the Hawks are doing their best to turn a weakness into a strength”
I think Newcombe (and hopefully Finn) is going to be massive for us in 2022. If long developers, we will have three strong body mids that will be able to physically dominate opposition and feed the ball out to the likes of ward, bramble and downie.

Fetnarr

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think Newcombe (and hopefully Finn) is going to be massive for us in 2022. If long developers, we will have three strong body mids that will be able to physically dominate opposition and feed the ball out to the likes of ward, bramble and downie.

Plus Nash as well. Amazing depth if they all continue to develop. I loved Nash’s end to the season, some of his handballs out of congestion really opened the game up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Slainte

Senior List
Oct 10, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ned sounds a lot like Dan Howe. Big body, big tank and versatile, but no x-factor. Howe has a good chance of becoming a 100 game player in 2022. If Long can reach or exceed that standard we will have done very well

CHUBBSS

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ned sounds a lot like Dan Howe. Big body, big tank and versatile, but no x-factor. Howe has a good chance of becoming a 100 game player in 2022. If Long can reach or exceed that standard we will have done very well
Can’t undervalue his running power though, shades howe, in the elite category and I would value as one of the most important things in the modern game.

cryptor

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I agree. Howe's best this year was really quite good. If it weren't for the niggling injury issues he's had over the last few years he'd have probably reached that point quite a while ago and instead of being a whipping boy would have been regarded similar to Shiels during the threepeat years (ie. not the star but the work horse that enables the stars to look so good). Hopefully Long can develop quickly into this kind of player, if not an even better version of it.

Brishawk

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t think long will be a tagged. He is different to Howe from the limited footage I have seen and from what observers have written. I don’t see him playing wing or taggging. He has to be inside the contest and control it with his size. And then push forward to get mis matches.

H00t

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t think long will be a tagged. He is different to Howe from the limited footage I have seen and from what observers have written. I don’t see him playing wing or taggging. He has to be inside the contest and control it with his size. And then push forward to get mis matches.
Pretty much what we were hoping Howe would become. Hopefully he isn’t held back by the same troubles as Howe. Long looks to have a lot of ability and seems a very hard worker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CHUBBSS

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The experience with ward playing all juniors together, might make them an exciting combo for many years. The podcasts with Mcgowan on juniors playing together is pretty interesting.

HawthornHawk

All Australian
Aug 23, 2009
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Is there any footage of him playing this way in TAC Cup/APS games? Lots of talk here about him being a Cripps style mid but his highlight reels only show him playing forward- not one stoppage outside fwd 50. Have I missed something?

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad