Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ned Long Pick 5, 2021 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

At 193cm with a physique that is already intimidating, I'm really hoping he plays some good games at Box Hill. By the time he's 20yrs old he'll be massive.

More important is his ability to switch from midfield to forward. Scoreboard impact was one of his strengths so he has experience doing this.

I don't think we have a mid who can do this effectively. And what it does is cause opposition to shuffle their defense around to try and counter this. He could even grow a couple of cms (though doesn't need to). His best mate Ward will be terrific for him to watch and learn.

At 193cm with a physique that is already intimidating, I'm really hoping he plays some good games at Box Hill. By the time he's 20yrs old he'll be massive.

More important is his ability to switch from midfield to forward. Scoreboard impact was one of his strengths so he has experience doing this.

I don't think we have a mid who can do this effectively. And what it does is cause opposition to shuffle their defense around to try and counter this. He could even grow a couple of cms (though doesn't need to). His best mate Ward will be terrific for him to watch and learn.
It's a good call he does look like he can find the ball across half forward. Might be a missing link in terms of our mid fwd connection which at present is really poor.

Ned Long just needs to work on his endurance and skill level. He no doubt has the physical attributes and if he can put it all together, then I don’t see why he won’t make his debut during the second half of the year.

Ned Long just needs to work on his endurance and skill level. He no doubt has the physical attributes and if he can put it all together, then I don’t see why he won’t make his debut during the second half of the year.
His endurance is massive. Not an issue.

The other thing to note with this kid is he reads the ball of hands really well. And finds space. Not out of the question for a round 1 debut for mine. Maybe sub.

His endurance is massive. Not an issue.

The other thing to note with this kid is he reads the ball of hands really well. And finds space. Not out of the question for a round 1 debut for mine. Maybe sub.
I noticed that V Richmond.

He seemed to be in the right spots, and he had one snap at goal which missed, but he read the ball and had no time or space, but the skills and speed of mind/foot in that situation to get it on the boot and almost slot it showed small fwd like dexterity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The combination of his size and running capacity make him a facinating prospect.

So far he also seems a relentless competitor. A lot to like. Hope he can make it.

That kicking style though....
Lol true.

An interesting comp for me is Josh Goater who went at like 21 to North.

Their kicking is both horrendous.

Goater is an explosive athletic freak with a weak endurance base (190cm and skinny).

Long is an endurance beast with limited athleticism. (190cm and a Sherman tank)

They are like inverse prospects except for the kicking.

I can only assume Goater went Rd 2 and long in the rookie draft because there is a perception of upside whereas people might think Long has hit his physical ceiling.

Lol true.

An interesting comp for me is Josh Goater who went at like 21 to North.

Their kicking is both horrendous.

Goater is an explosive athletic freak with a weak endurance base (190cm and skinny).

Long is an endurance beast with limited athleticism. (190cm and a Sherman tank)

They are like inverse prospects except for the kicking.

I can only assume Goater went Rd 2 and long in the rookie draft because there is a perception of upside whereas people might think Long has hit his physical ceiling.
Long was touted as top 20 early in the piece and during the younger years but spent most of his final year in juniors injured. iirc his outings from 2021 were real impressive.

Long was touted as top 20 early in the piece and during the younger years but spent most of his final year in juniors injured. iirc his outings from 2021 were real impressive.
Injuries haven't stopped top prospects going high in the past.

The king twin who did his knee
Jake stringer
Georgiadis

Many other examples.

It's definitely not the only reason he slipped.

Couldn’t care what his kicking style looks like, aslong as it gets to its target. His kicks seem to get to their intended target a lot more than a majority of our mids
Agree so far his kicking looks OK. Ball drop def unfashionable but perhaps can be worked on. He has shown a number of AFL level qualities already as a mid and up fwd.

Ward and McDonald look like finds. Butler haven't seen enough of yet but well rated. Add in Long and that would be 4 players from that draft. A haul like that goes a long way to fast track a rebuild.

For a rookie pick was really impressed with what I saw in the VFL against the Pies. Didn't get a heap of it but was hard at it, did the team things and will only get better. Would be surprised if he did not get a debut game this year. Same with Serong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back