Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ned Long Pick 5, 2021 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon there’s others we’d want to get a look at before Long (eg Saunders). Outside his last vfl game (against the bottom team) he’s struggled at vfl level for a while.
Not sure if you watch the VFL. Saunders doesn't struggle at the level what he does is damaging at the level. He is being taught to play as a pressure fwd so he is quite defensive minded and this impacts his possession count. If he was allowed to free-wheel offensively I think we would see his possessions go up. He is easily up to VFL just a bit of a slow burn with smarts. I hope we give him another year.

Not sure if you watch the VFL. Saunders doesn't struggle at the level what he does is damaging at the level. He is being taught to play as a pressure fwd so he is quite defensive minded and this impacts his possession count. If he was allowed to free-wheel offensively I think we would see his possessions go up. He is easily up to VFL just a bit of a slow burn with smarts. I hope we give him another year.

His stats aren't impressive are VFL level. Concerningly he's not averaging 1.5 tackles a game, that has to improve.

His stats aren't impressive are VFL level. Concerningly he's not averaging 1.5 tackles a game, that has to improve.
I’m more worried about his attributes. He seems a smart footballer to an extent, tho small, but quick and tough. His skills by hand seem pretty good (he was an inside mid when we drafted him), and idk his kicking skills are pretty average.

He’s not the worst or the priority to get rid of but he’s there or there abouts for it.

Ned Long (19 disposals, 6 marks)

“We were really happy with Longy’s game. He played on the wing all day – part of Longy’s development these past few games has been learning the wing patterns, getting a feel and understanding of it, and he’s doing that really well. He has been able to hold his balance, knowing when to impact and when to hold out. The more he’s getting comfortable with that, the better he’s looking. He had 19 touches and six marks, he got a few switch kicks out to his side of the wing which is great to see. He had a good balance of three inside 50s and three rebound 50s, so his work rate to get up and down the ground has been a real strength of his.”

Ned Long (19 disposals, 6 marks)

“We were really happy with Longy’s game. He played on the wing all day – part of Longy’s development these past few games has been learning the wing patterns, getting a feel and understanding of it, and he’s doing that really well. He has been able to hold his balance, knowing when to impact and when to hold out. The more he’s getting comfortable with that, the better he’s looking. He had 19 touches and six marks, he got a few switch kicks out to his side of the wing which is great to see. He had a good balance of three inside 50s and three rebound 50s, so his work rate to get up and down the ground has been a real strength of his.”
Debut incoming?

Debut incoming?
I dont think his form has been at the level to warrant a debut unless he gets gifted one. His form has improved but not where it was at the start of the year in the VFL.

Would like to know the reason he is playing on the wing when we are crying out for inside mids . He has the running capacity for a wing role but lacks the pace and skills you'd want from an outside player.

Would like to know the reason he is playing on the wing when we are crying out for inside mids . He has the running capacity for a wing role but lacks the pace and skills you'd want from an outside player.
Finn played wing a few times at BH,
So he learnt where they were supposed to be during transition. If you’re going to end up inside mid, it’s a good idea to know/learn where your wingmen are supposed to be (running) at various stoppage scenarios and in transition.

Apparently coaches were ok on his inside development but not liking the balance between inside/outside possession to the point where they questionned his ability to present an outside option. Wanted his outside game to develop more on the wing before returning to the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said at the start of the year, I can just see him making it because of the ward factor and how hard they have trained together.

Building an engine room of players that can run all day - Moore, ward, Ramsden, Long has some serious running power.

Good luck Ned. Hope he spends a big chunk of time in the middle. In the space of 12 months we drafted Newcombe, Ward, Macdonald, Butler, Serong, Long, Blanck and Ramsden! Reckon we will look back very fondly on that period of our rebuild.

Plus Callow.

Said at the start of the year, I can just see him making it because of the ward factor and how hard they have trained together.

Building an engine room of players that can run all day - Moore, ward, Ramsden, Long has some serious running power.

For Box Hill watchers - is Longy slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back