Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ned Long Pick 5, 2021 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

here is our big mid, the guy is built like a Bull and marks like a Key Forward, he and Ward dominated for Northern and made them a real threat for the NAB League Premiership if the season didnt end the way it did, HUGE pick up in the rookie draft.

Why did he slip through to a rookie pick? On paper he looks like he's got a lot to offer.

How good would it be if he ends being better than two similar sized mids that where taken last - Knevitt and Goater. Doesn't have their speed but looks more physically imposing than both of them at half the price!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he can be what Dallas Willsmore couldn’t? 🤔

looks a good rookie selection. We might have a bargain.

also love they have played together for a long time, huge in any sport.

I love how all our new picks really have an athletic POD, as well as being footballers.
That's a very good point you raise, having played with Ward for a long time they will know each others game well and that will be very important to working well in the big league together. Fast tracks things for them both.

Why did he slip through to a rookie pick? On paper he looks like he's got a lot to offer.

Seems that he got injured and was unable to finish off the year; have seen a couple of indications he would have been decently high in the ND otherwise (there'll be a few more knowledgeable players who can advise on this). If the injury issue is resolved and he gets back on track to realise his potential, he may honestly be the steal of the draft. I'm really excited about this one.

its a mystery to me why things happen in the draft sometimes, he was touted as a top 30 pre season, killed it in his 4-5 games he played before injury, averaging 20-odd disposals and 2 goals a game playing 60/40 mid and forward, missed out on the state games because of injury and maybe clubs were a little worried about injury and maybe athleticism, as clubs usually over rate athletic qualities over bravery, determination, strength of will, footy IQ and footy Ability ect which i believe he has.

Sharing comparisons to Josh Dunkley and Kyle Langford in terms of size and ability to play midfield and forward, it is that exact aptitude forward of centre that is his staking point compared to other taller midfielders Matthew Johnson and Mitch Knevitt.

He's definitely a different type to Johnson and Knevitt - looks ridiculously imposing compared to those two.
And I suspect he's going to look like he belongs in a different weight division to Langford and Dunkley pretty soon too.

Love the selection.
Refreshing to see the rookie draft used to select a rookie, and a rough diamond at that.
Allowing clubs to re-draft 30 year-olds to the rookie list is yet another bad joke from AFL house.
Where does Gil get his advice from?

3eyg6f.gif

Last edited:
His injury definitely helped him slip, will be interesting seeing how much he develops in one pre season, with his size and endurance will have no issue playing against vfl/AFL body’s just depends how long he takes picking up Sam’s system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back