Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ned Long Pick 5, 2021 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Those three are explosive, which is something Long is not. Could still prove to be a difficult match up given his size. Maybe he will drag his midfield opponents deep.
This is the nub of it according to an astute observer. “The kid is not explosive, if he had that xfactor watch out. That said, he continues to develop which he clearly has the mindset to want to do, the Hawks may have stolen one here. Combined with Ward, his good mate, Newcombe and Worpel, the Hawks are doing their best to turn a weakness into a strength”

This is the nub of it according to an astute observer. “The kid is not explosive, if he had that xfactor watch out. That said, he continues to develop which he clearly has the mindset to want to do, the Hawks may have stolen one here. Combined with Ward, his good mate, Newcombe and Worpel, the Hawks are doing their best to turn a weakness into a strength”
I think Newcombe (and hopefully Finn) is going to be massive for us in 2022. If long developers, we will have three strong body mids that will be able to physically dominate opposition and feed the ball out to the likes of ward, bramble and downie.

I think Newcombe (and hopefully Finn) is going to be massive for us in 2022. If long developers, we will have three strong body mids that will be able to physically dominate opposition and feed the ball out to the likes of ward, bramble and downie.

Plus Nash as well. Amazing depth if they all continue to develop. I loved Nash’s end to the season, some of his handballs out of congestion really opened the game up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ned sounds a lot like Dan Howe. Big body, big tank and versatile, but no x-factor. Howe has a good chance of becoming a 100 game player in 2022. If Long can reach or exceed that standard we will have done very well
Can’t undervalue his running power though, shades howe, in the elite category and I would value as one of the most important things in the modern game.

Ned sounds a lot like Dan Howe. Big body, big tank and versatile, but no x-factor. Howe has a good chance of becoming a 100 game player in 2022. If Long can reach or exceed that standard we will have done very well
I agree. Howe's best this year was really quite good. If it weren't for the niggling injury issues he's had over the last few years he'd have probably reached that point quite a while ago and instead of being a whipping boy would have been regarded similar to Shiels during the threepeat years (ie. not the star but the work horse that enables the stars to look so good). Hopefully Long can develop quickly into this kind of player, if not an even better version of it.

I don’t think long will be a tagged. He is different to Howe from the limited footage I have seen and from what observers have written. I don’t see him playing wing or taggging. He has to be inside the contest and control it with his size. And then push forward to get mis matches.
Pretty much what we were hoping Howe would become. Hopefully he isn’t held back by the same troubles as Howe. Long looks to have a lot of ability and seems a very hard worker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think long will be a tagged. He is different to Howe from the limited footage I have seen and from what observers have written. I don’t see him playing wing or taggging. He has to be inside the contest and control it with his size. And then push forward to get mis matches.
The experience with ward playing all juniors together, might make them an exciting combo for many years. The podcasts with Mcgowan on juniors playing together is pretty interesting.

Is there any footage of him playing this way in TAC Cup/APS games? Lots of talk here about him being a Cripps style mid but his highlight reels only show him playing forward- not one stoppage outside fwd 50. Have I missed something?

Yup, very similar look. Only thing I'd differ on is that John could REALLY get on his bike and get clear of a contest with the ball when he wanted.
Didn't we call him 'racehorse' back in the day? Maybe I'm mis-remembering....
Geoff Ablett was the racehorse super quick winger out at princes park!

In the most recent vid from the Hawks website, Robert Harvey mentioned Ward, McDonald and Long as first year mids who are pushing for a round 1 spot. I knew the first two were flying but to hear a coach name Long as a potential early season debutant is huge. He's a mountain from all reports, the exact mid we have all been hoping for and we may have got him for nothing. Early days I know, but very promising.

In the most recent vid from the Hawks website, Robert Harvey mentioned Ward, McDonald and Long as first year mids who are pushing for a round 1 spot. I knew the first two were flying but to hear a coach name Long as a potential early season debutant is huge. He's a mountain from all reports, the exact mid we have all been hoping for and we may have got him for nothing. Early days I know, but very promising.
He’s behind too many others to debut in Round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back