Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Ned Reeves. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope he's there on merit. Nepotism is a form of corruption.

I very much doubt he'd be given a spot unless he deserved it.

Best of luck to him. Expect it is a long term project and we will see where he is after two years of playing for BHH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unnecessary.
It is a fair thing to worry about given his dad is the CEO, though why that would be any different to a father son getting selected is really beyond me, his name might have got him a look in but they aren't going to pick him up unless they see upside, doesn't mean his dad didn't give him a leg up with the interview though

100% thinking the same thing.

I expect his dad got him the interview, but getting the interview doesn't get you the job

It is a fair thing to worry about given his dad is the CEO, though why that would be any different to a father son getting selected is really beyond me, his name might have got him a look in but they aren't going to pick him up unless they see upside, doesn't mean his dad didn't give him a leg up with the interview though

I expect his dad got him the interview, but getting the interview doesn't get you the job
Fair call.

I'm not sure why people think we would pick Reeves up just because his father is the CEO, just think for a second about the recently father sons we've decided not to recruit, we only pick players we see potential in. It's also not a huge surprise given Pitto never came on as we would've of liked.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people think we would pick Reeves up just because his father is the CEO, just think for a second about the recently father sons we've no recruited, we only pick players we see potential in. It's also not a huge surprise given Pitto never came on as we would of liked.
Good valid points.

Also, as a rookie, you're hardly getting showered with cash. He has to work his butt off to elevate himself to a position which could validate such ideas. By then he's probably earned it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

From the small interview he did for Hawks TV, he is keen as mustard but is fully aware that he will most likely play this full year at Box Hill. The main reason Graham Wright gave for his signing as a rookie for Hawthorn is to fastrack his development by having him train in the Hawthorn system rather than with the Box Hill boys.

It is, but history shows in the AFL that the taller you are in the AFL the less talent you need. Aaron Sandilands was the best ruckman in the league for a number of years and he never developed the ability to mark the ball. Mason Cox became a serviceable footballer as a giant engineer who played neither soccer or basketball at any decent level. Reeves is almost as tall and has shown ability in actual football areas, I'm backing him in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back