Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Ned Reeves. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With Reeves playing well and Big Boy more forward surely we can go just him and Kosi and get Brockman in. Like it when Reeves goes forward too, hard to defend someone like him if we kick it to his advantage like Howe did

Been a bright spot in a pretty gloomy half to the season. Will be better in 2022 when he adds some bulk to his frame and can hold his ground against the bigger rucks. I doubt if he will ever reach the Gawn/Grundy/Goldstein level, but in my mind, he has already overtaken Ceglar and that's only a good thing.

Been a bright spot in a pretty gloomy half to the season. Will be better in 2022 when he adds some bulk to his frame and can hold his ground against the bigger rucks. I doubt if he will ever reach the Gawn/Grundy/Goldstein level, but in my mind, he has already overtaken Ceglar and that's only a good thing.
Only two games in to his career, so it’s early, but check out Ned’s averages compared to Gawn at the same age(who had played 9 games).

Ned is going to be a player if he gets a good run at it.

4E1F0B27-5233-4261-B63E-999B2FE159B8.jpeg

Only two games in to his career, so it’s early, but check out Ned’s averages compared to Gawn at the same age(who had played 9 games).

View attachment 1142812
Love the way Ned is building. He got at least 3-4 taps nearly straight to our men in the centre on the weekend, only for them to fumble the ball - I think our mids will need to be reconditioned to expect first access!

On another note, the averages for Gawn are a bit funky. If he had played 9 games and averaged 4.3 kinds a game that's a total of 38.7 kicks. Likewise, .4 goals a game is 3.6 goals. Something has gone astray there.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Love the way Ned is building. He got at least 3-4 taps nearly straight to our men in the centre on the weekend, only for them to fumble the ball - I think our mids will need to be reconditioned to expect first access!

On another note, the averages for Gawn are a bit funky. If he had played 9 games and averaged 4.3 kinds a game that's a total of 38.7 kicks. Likewise, .4 goals a game is 3.6 goals. Something has gone astray there.
Rounding. 39/9 = 4.3333

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arizona DiamondBacks

Hopefully he get a Rising Star Nomination soon.

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arizona DiamondBacks

View attachment 1142812

Like to see him get forward more only 2 games in so can’t ask for to much but he looked ok pushing forward using his height to advantage and against the suns when he kicked that goal looks capable.

His development has been nothing short of incredible over the last two years. He may prove to be the biggest plus to come out of this terrible season.
A lot of hard yards and effort and having a great coach like monk really helped. Still a lomg way to go.

Sep 22, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Roys SFA
A lot of hard yards and effort and having a great coach like monk really helped. Still a lomg way to go.
Monkey must be pinching himself having a quality young ruck oozing potential to work with; poor bugger has been trying to fashion s**t like clay for a long time.

Sep 22, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Roys SFA
Well hale and mcevoy have been great
This is very true, but they are/were not great rucks they rely on halving the contest and blocking run/jump etc. rather than just competing and winning the tap (and having the leap/touch/vision to direct it).

If Reeves can become half as damaging as either up forward, combined with actual ruck-craft, he could be the best ruck we've had in a long time.

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
neither as pure ruckmen though, their value is around the ground more so I'd say

No reason why he can't eventually develop into a top tier ruckman such as Gawn - especially when you compare his stats so far to Gawn. Reeves pretty much has all the raw skills - ruck craft, great agility, good contested mark, and sound kicking action. Doesn't really have mongrel but doesn't take a backward step either

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Our stocks of great home-grown rucks over the years have been about as bountiful as that of great father-sons. Look back over the decades (maybe since Scotty, although even he himself was an incredible warrior but not exactly gracing the pantheon of all time great rucks with Madden, Cox, Big Nick, Moore Fitzpatrick, Farmer etc etc), even during glory periods, our rucks have been recruits from other clubs or good solid tryers - Paton, Dear, Byrne, Salmon, Big Boy, Hale. Maxy Bailey could have been great, but was cut down too early. Our luck has been poor. Maybe we can turn both situations around with Finn and the big Noodle....

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Our stocks of great home-grown rucks over the years have been about as bountiful as that of great father-sons. Look back over the decades (maybe since Scotty, although even he himself was an incredible warrior but not exactly gracing the pantheon of all time great rucks with Madden, Cox, Big Nick, Moore Fitzpatrick, Farmer etc etc), even during glory periods, our rucks have been recruits from other clubs or good solid tryers - Paton, Dear, Byrne, Salmon, Big Boy, Hale. Maxy Bailey could have been great, but was cut down too early. Our luck has been poor. Maybe we can turn both situations around with Finn and the big Noodle....
Yeah but look at our history of home grown forwards. You could make up an amazing all time great forward line just out of hawthorn players.

dunstall Hudson lethal
Rioli buddy brereton

Breust, roughy, bucks honorable mentions.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Yeah but look at our history of home grown forwards. You could make up an amazing all time great forward line just out of hawthorn players.

dunstall Hudson lethal
Rioli buddy brereton

Breust, roughy, bucks honorable mentions.
That's exactly what I'm saying, we can 'home-grow' everything else, except great rucks....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back