Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Ned Reeves. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

I love big Ned. He launches at the ball with timing you don’t normally see for someone his size, with a bit more size this will become even more noticeable.
Also has a lot of finesse to his tap work that I don't see with our other rucks. Actually looks like he expects to get first touch and subsequently he tries to direct the ball to particular spots rather than just being happy to touch it at all and just making sure it doesn't necessarily go exactly where the opposition want it to go.

VFL

Round 10: 11 disposals - 5 marks - 25 hit-outs
Round 11: 12 disposals - 5 marks - 3 tackles - 35 hit-outs - 1 goal - 2 behinds
Round 12: 13 disposals - 2 marks - 38 hit-outs - 1 goal

One noticeable improvement in his game is Reeves is now taking marks around the ground and also pushing forward and kicking goals.

As tempting as it would be to bring him in and leave him in the team for the rest of the year to fast-track his development, if he plays more then 5 AFL games I think he then becomes ineligible to feature for Box Hill during the finals.

Just looking forward to seeing the big stringbean back out there.
One of the most promising players on our list, so it’s all just about baby steps for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent work by Ned. Max normally tears us apart. He not only held his own, but had some great taps, and some good influence on contests, particularly near the end in the defensive 50.

Excited to see more of him. Ceglar should not get another game.

Last edited:
He wasn’t great in the first half but once he settled he was a massive reason we got back into it.

I think it has to be him and big boy moving fwd. With the skipper playing more of a ruck fwd role.

Mitch Lewis should be working with them all preseason too - there is a real opportunity for him to lock down a ruck fwd role beyond big boy.

He wasn’t great in the first half but once he settled he was a massive reason we got back into it.

I think it has to be him and big boy moving fwd. With the skipper playing more of a ruck fwd role.

Mitch Lewis should be working with them all preseason too - there is a real opportunity for him to lock down a ruck fwd role beyond big boy.
I'd say Lewis becomes the 2nd ruck but he wont be doing it alot in the future when Reeves gets an even bigger body, it'll be more like 75/25 rather than lower. or even an 80/20 split.

Did well vs Gawn in the stoppage situations so that's a big win.

Needs to really work on improving his overhead marking is the next step, he's a poor mark for someone so tall.
I wouldn't say he's a poor mark. Taken some fantastic defensive grabs at Box Hill and took a couple of beautys on AFL debut. He certainly marked poorly on Saturday but that will improve with confidence. His timing was off but again, more time and confidence and he'll be fine.

I wouldn't say he's a poor mark. Taken some fantastic defensive grabs at Box Hill and took a couple of beautys on AFL debut. He certainly marked poorly on Saturday but that will improve with confidence. His timing was off but again, more time and confidence and he'll be fine.

It needs substantial work lets put it that way, he has taken 5 marks in 3 games and dropped a few he should have swallowed last night. It was the best we've looked vs Gawn in stoppage situations for years though.

It needs substantial work lets put it that way, he has taken 5 marks in 3 games and dropped a few he should have swallowed last night. It was the best we've looked vs Gawn in stoppage situations for years though.
Nerves and self belief a big factor in dropping marks and punching instead of marking at times. Cegs (too busy looking at the other ruckman) and Big Boy (not having much of a vertical leap) just aren’t great tap ruckman so he is a massive upgrade in that area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back