Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Ned Reeves. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if in some bizarre scenario we picked him up not 100% on merit (and I find this incredibly unlikely), it’s a free hit on a guy with huge upside (lot of work required). He is taking the place of either some other kid with a bit of potential but requiring a lot of work or a state league player who probably isn’t good enough for afl and never will be. I’m pretty much going to forget he is on the list as he will be lucky to get games at box hill this year so don’t expect we will see much of him. Good luck Ned!

Even if in some bizarre scenario we picked him up not 100% on merit (and I find this incredibly unlikely), it’s a free hit on a guy with huge upside (lot of work required). He is taking the place of either some other kid with a bit of potential but requiring a lot of work or a state league player who probably isn’t good enough for afl and never will be. I’m pretty much going to forget he is on the list as he will be lucky to get games at box hill this year so don’t expect we will see much of him. Good luck Ned!

Agreed.

Massive height, with ability and build. Worth a punt. At the end of game, the tall guys are still tall.

Lighten up
Hahahaha! From you, that's just gold. So rich, I can only eat a tiny morsel. It's great, the kid has been training with the club fir ages, we pick him in the side and already suspicion of nepotism gets bandied around. Let him strut his stuff and them if he O'Brien's it up, THEN call nepotism.

Hahahaha! From you, that's just gold. So rich, I can only eat a tiny morsel. It's great, the kid has been training with the club fir ages, we pick him in the side and already suspicion of nepotism gets bandied around. Let him strut his stuff and them if he O'Brien's it up, THEN call nepotism.

Do you not see the irony in saying "unnecessary" to a comment about one player, then using 'O'brien's it up' as a derogatory comment about another?

Last edited:

Welcome to the board, Justin.

This is an interesting thread. I am related to the kid, so very biased.
But a couple of things the general BF chatter hasn't picked up on.
Before he became very tall, Ned was an excellent junior footballer, regularly winning trophies at CHB/CHF (see pic with Danger above).
He was invited to 2 draft camps and was considered a very good draft prospect. Hip injuries probably impacted on him not being drafted.
He was at Box Hill Hawks last year while his father was working at Geelong - The Hawks have been keen on him since before Jeff poached Justin.
Carry on.

Needs 5 years to build a tank, but we can Max Gawn this kid
Or Dean Cox him! So many ruckmen have come through the rookie draft. I'm excited but realise that these guys don't hit their straps until much later. Still can't work out how Saints let Big Boy go at the start of his prime.

Before he became very tall, Ned was an excellent junior footballer, regularly winning trophies at CHB/CHF (see pic with Danger above).
He was invited to 2 draft camps and was considered a very good draft prospect. Hip injuries probably impacted on him not being drafted.
He was at Box Hill Hawks last year while his father was working at Geelong - The Hawks have been keen on him since before Jeff poached Justin.
Carry on.

Hip injuries are understandable when you consider the height of the kid.

Good intel though, thanks!

Carry on.
So you've confirmed the nepotism right there! Justin got his job cause of Ned getting him an interview!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or Dean Cox him! So many ruckmen have come through the rookie draft. I'm excited but realise that these guys don't hit their straps until much later. Still can't work out how Saints let Big Boy go at the start of his prime.
Yeah we are going to really need to put at least 5 years into his development.

Sounds like we will

Will probably get a decent amount of game time down at Box Hill in support of Pitts

Best of luck to the lad, hope he gives it a right shake

If you want to talk nepotism:

Doug Scott
Lachie Langford.
Aidan Bussell.

Aidan Bussell was the biggest disappointment, even though I know nothing about him.

But his father was huge in the 1971 Grand Final.

Do you not see the irony in saying "unnecessary" to a comment about one player, then using 'O'brien's it up' as a derogatory comment about another?
Exactly! You mustn't have seen me post much if you think I didn't see the irony. Entirely deliberate.

Carry on.

I must admit I had a mental image of him clunking 4+ marks in the forward 50 and kicking truly each time.

I must admit,
I had a mental image of HumphreyBBear clunking marks in the forward fifty for Hawthorn after finding out he is family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back